Bad Brisket?

BillElverman

Collective smoking brain:

I've done about 10+ briskets or so now. I've got it down pretty well, but I just saw something beyond what I've seen on other briskets:

10 pound, whole brisket. Fattiest brisket I've ever seen. I trimmed... trimmed... and trimmed... ultimately cut out about 2 pounds of fat if not more. HARD fat. Still have a thin layer. But wow, did it seem like a lot of fat.

Where it gets different for me: this is the first time I cut into the fat vein that delineates the point and the flat because it looked like an overly stuffed sandwich, with a thin later of good meat on either side and fistful of fat in the middle. I cut out about an inch wedge of fat, 2 inches deep, into that vein and still left enough fat to cover the meat.

Did I do too much? Does this sound excessively fatty? I feel like we got a lemon, and I've trimmed it up the best I could...

Bonus question: in my trimming, I did have a slip of the knife and cut into the flat. It's not a huge gash, but it's definitely more than just a nick. Will this have an overly adverse effect on the brisket? Or just dry out the piece or two around it?

Thanks folks for any input you might have...

Bill

Its probably fine. Some briskets are going to be fattier than others. The gash is cosmetic. I'm sure it will taste great!

I can't post photos because it was devoured...

I think I let self doubt creep in. I cut that thing up... was worried that I butchered it. The only real casualty was that there wasn't much of a point to make burnt ends out of...

Hit temperature about an hour before dinner. Let that sucker rest. Actually had one of the better crusts on it that I've ever had. Didn't wrap it during the cook.

And now I think I'll be emboldened to remove that much fat each time... was still plenty enough fat to give you that good flavor... but it ended up being a really good hunk of meat.

And the gash: I plugged it with a fat trimming before putting it on the smoker. Probably didn't affect anything, but it made me feel better.

Back