Bacontime

Arwin

TVWBB Fan
Last week I bought a nice piece of porkbelly and that's being transformed into bacon.
Divided it in 2 pieces and added a mixture of curingsalt and sugar to one piece and added some cracked black pepper for the other piece. Let it sit in the fridge and now it's time to add some cold smoke...

"Attached" my cold smoke generator to my mini-uds.
IMG_0037.jpg

Loaded the generator with woodchips, plugged in the soldering iron and the air pump and off we go!
IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

It's going to be in there for the next eight hours or so...

I'll be back with pic's of the finished bacon!

Good looking start, Arwin!

Looking forward to the pics of the finished product and your review on the taste.:)

Great stuff. The bacon recipes I use hot smoke the belly. Curious -- why a cold smoke? Looking forward to the end result.
Cheers!

Great stuff. The bacon recipes I use hot smoke the belly. Curious -- why a cold smoke? Looking forward to the end result.
Cheers!
I think with a cold smoke, the taste will be stronger; 18 hours vs 5 (?) hours of smoke exposure.

can't wait to see the rest of this. That's a cool set up - no pun intended.
Well here it is ( and thank you, i start to like this ugly little fellow more and more...)
IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

I'll slice and taste it later this afternoon, so "I'll be back"...

Looks really good! I smoke my bacon for around 2-3h. And im happy with it. But then again i never tasted anyone of YOUR 18H bacon. Looking forward to your taste report and pic´s :cool:

Made some slices yesterday:
IMG_0044.jpg

And some pieces:
IMG_0043.jpg

And also some bigger pieces to make some sauerkraut:
IMG_0045.jpg

While the saurkraut was cooking together with potatoes, I fried the small pieces and mixed them together with the rendered fat through the saurkraut. I don't know if you eat sauerkraut made like this on the other side of the pond, but in holland it's a typical winterfood, we call it zuurkool stamppot... Today wasn't really a winterday (27 Celsius) but it still tasted very good!
IMG_0047.jpg

See you next time!

Don't let these guys give ya a hard time about ur smoker! "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and if that bacon tastes half as good as it looks the beholder is doing a great job!!

Trying to decide if I'm more impressed with the smoker or the bacon. It might be ugly drum but that setup looks awesome for cold smoking!

Back