Bacon wrapped something

Tim Mulvihill

TVWBB Fan
Hey everyone,

I've been doing a lot of cooks lately where I wrap a boneless skinless thigh, stuffed with cheese and green onion in bacon. We love it every time, but I was wondering what else could be wrapped in bacon (dinner-wise, not apps) and work out with the time required to get the bacon crisp, and the wrapped meat not be dried out, or undercooked?

Pork tenderloin?
Pork loin?
Sliced up boneless pork chops?
A certain cut of steak?
Any others I'm not thinking of here?

Thanks ahead of time!

I'd say pork tenderloin but haven't actually tried it wrapped in bacon. I usually cook them about 20 minutes over direct heat ( a single layer of coals) but might could wrap in bacon and cook over indirect med/high heat for the entire cook without drying out the tenderloin? That's my 2 cents :). Let us know what you decide on and how it turns out.

heheh the answer is yes. i mean yes to all of the above. of course the answer from texas would be... bacon wrap a steak first. or cutlets from a steak. you might consider partially frying out the bacon first or the steak may end up well-done by the time the bacon is cooked. take pics and show off what you did.

don't lift the lid...

I do bacon wrapped turkey cubes on kabob sticks all the time. My youngest son inhales them. Cut the turkey into one inch cubes and use a half slice of bacon on each one. I find low heat indirect works best.

I wrapped a pork loin once and after smoking at 250F until done, the bacon was nowhere near crisp. I tried browning it over the coals but it was a weave and it started sticking to the grate and unraveling. I was pretty ticked off.

If I try that again I will probably finish it off in a HOT oven instead. The flavor was really good though.

Tim, there are many good suggestions here. Anything that you worry about overcooking in order to get the bacon crispy can be addressed by par cooking the bacon before you wrap it on the item. I put mine in the microwave between some paper towels for 1 minute on high. Two of my favorites are bacon wrapped asparagus bundles and bacon laced pork cube shish-ka-bobs.

Regards,

John

John Sp;
That's the kind of suggestion that makes this forum SO worthwhile.

Thank you, I can see me doing that in the near future.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Just wanted to add that anytime I wrap something in bacon I always use "thin cut" as it will get done much faster than thick cut.
Par cooking in the microwave as John suggested is a great idea as well.

Back