Bacon Weirdness

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Had some weirdness occur when curing my last pork belly. Using Bob's recipe I did the prep and the cure over this past week. After a day or so, I noticed I couldn't see much moisture in the bag collecting from the curing piece of meat. This was the second piece of the original belly which I had cut into thirds. The first piece that I made last month was very wet after a couple of days and came out great. When I opened this current piece after the 7th day, the bag was dry as a bone and the TQ I had rubbed into the belly had almost a dust like texture on the surface of the meat at the end of cure. Something is not right and I'm hesitant on whether to proceed with this or not. Any thoughts?

Wish I could advise, but that's a new one on me.
On one hand it doesn't seem like the belly would have gone bad in that period of time, even if it didn't cure, but I'm only guessing.
Does it feel firm, like it might have cured?

I've dry and wet cured 100s of pounds of bacon over the years and never experienced anything similar.

Your correct there should be moisture in the bag after seven days. If in doubt throw it out!

I use Prague #1 and have never used TQ.

Thanks guys for the assistance. Bob, I poked at it and there is no noticeable difference in meat texture/firmness. The only difference in what I used on this belly as opposed to my last one last month is this was a brand new bag of Tender Quick, purchased on line around the first of the year. It is 100% identical to my last bag.. I think I'm going to toss.

Thanks Dustin. I appreciate your suggestion, but as you say it's destined for tomorrow's trash. Just don't feel comfortable with it. Usually after the first full day there is obvious water content in the bag. Not this guy. I've got another belly ready to go.

Just a guess, but is your fridge set to too cold.
I remember reading somewhere if its too cold it will slow down or hasten the curing process.

There's a rabbit hole you don't want to go down. I stuck a fridge thermometer in my fridge and went psycho every time anyone left the door open for a split second. I moved the thermometer to the outside freezer and I trust the fridge to do it's job. (OH MY GOD ITS OVER 40 THROW OUT ALL THE FOOD!!!!!!!) I usually get some liquid with bacon. I would worry that the cure isn't that well distributed without it but after using the tenderquick method you'll get good distribution. I've had the liquid reabsorb somewhat before but I've never no liquid and usually the cure is non-detectable afterwards. You probably did the right thing. I just have no idea what would cause that.

Back