Bacon ground burgers and fried potato straws.

David

TVWBB Pro
Grinded burger meat with added bacon and fried potato straws.

Decided to grind some burger meat a few days ago using chuck steaks and adding bacon for extra fat and flavor. Made a bit of mess grinding the bacon as I forgot to chop it up before grinding....the fat in it just doesn't pass through the grinder well. So I got out some frozen bacon and used it and it came out well. Meat had just an bit of bacon flavor when grilled. Will try some lamb next time. Anyway, they tasted great. Sorry, but no pictures of the grinding process as hands were too messy to handle the camera.

First off, something to drink on a nice Sat. evening.

burgersaug13004_zps9576ea9d.jpg

A few grill shots of the cooking process, rolls warming, cheese melting, and waiting on fries to finish.
burgersaug13006_zps63219f76.jpg

burgersaug13005_zpsbe5a1274.jpg

Last batch of fries coming up....at least there's something for the cook to munch on while waiting keeping it all nice and warm.

burgersaug13007_zps8ca77b1c.jpg

Plated up...............nothing quite like a good burger.

burgersaug13009_zpsd4bd6bc2.jpg

burgersaug13010_zps4ea37587.jpg

HAPPY TRAILS.......................D

Last edited:
good one! yes - everything looks good - how did you cut those spuds? those look really good!

Peter, several weeks ago when I was preparing a potato fondant I used the sides of the potato to make fries and cut them very thin, I dare guess less than an 1/8th of an inch, fried them up. Thought they were the best I've ever had, so thin and crispy. So yesterday, I got out the mandolin to slice the potato into thin strips to them cut up by hand, wasn't too bad as I could layer the slices on top of each other to cut them so thin. Then after one potato, I decided to try the mandolin to do it all. Though they were a touch wider than by hand, it still worked well. I don't think I can ever eat thicker fries again....these have so much more flavor and wife loves me cooking them outdoors because of the smell and grease, not to mention I can bring it all in at the same time..........................d

Last edited:
Fantastic cook! Did you only fry those potatoes once, or did you blanch and then re-fry them?

No just once. When they are that thin, no need to blanch. Though I did let them sit in cold water for several hours to soak, and then dried and fried at 360 or so, small batches at a time.......................d

David, your killing me with this! I gotta get a mandolin! Looks incredible. Can't wait to try and do a copycat of your cook. Thanks man.

David, your killing me with this! I gotta get a mandolin! Looks incredible. Can't wait to try and do a copycat of your cook. Thanks man.

Make sure that any mandolin will cut very small Julienne's. If you don't mind a bit of knife work, they are fairly easy to cut up by hand, just take a while longer, but a mandolin is a good tool in the kitchen for a lot of things.................d

Back