Back to work Picanha

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
Back to work after taking all of last week off... so I need to keep the good food coming.
Last night I prepped the Picanha for a 24 hour salt brine.
IMG_20231127_194210.jpg

Man did the look good when I took them out of the frig today.
IMG_20231128_172407.jpg

Got them seasoned up with some of my remaining stock of Oakridge Carne Crosta (I will cry when I use the last of my stock pile).
IMG_20231128_173811.jpg

Don't you love cooking in the dark at 5:30 pm?
IMG_20231128_174447.jpg

After a reverse sear they looked perfect...
IMG_20231128_180403.jpg

And they were!
IMG_20231128_181012.jpg

It was a great meal after a long day's work.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness! I have a Picanha in the freezer that I haven't been able to decide what to do with. I think this might be it.

Oh my goodness! I have a Picanha in the freezer that I haven't been able to decide what to do with. I think this might be it.
I always vote to turn Picanha into steaks. I did one on the forth of July a few years ago as a whole roast, it was ok, but not even close as good as it is as steaks. If I am doing a whole roast it is a tritip. Just remember @Rich G's reminder to cut with the grain into steaks so that the last cut is against the grain.

Same here, I use it sparingly now, down to my last bag. When I do Picanha, it’s always on the rotisserie, just S&P served with chimichurri.

D9EB4C8D-B306-4B58-8B40-DF6464E4D031.png
876C5E9D-7FEB-4EC3-AEE7-DB35BADB1EB3.png

Duane, that looks like I want to eat it right now!! Michael, yours looks like my wifes son and I would be very happy! My wife? Not so much. That’s her loss.

Last edited:
Duane, that looks like I want to eat it right now!! Michael, yours looks like my wifes son and I would be very happy! My wife? Not so much. That’s her loss.
Tim,
This is one of the other reasons I love Picanha as steaks. Due to it shape, I always get 3 nice thick steaks and two smaller ones. I always remove the fat cap and cook the smaller ones about 10 degrees more because that is where and how my daughter likes it.

I always vote to turn Picanha into steaks. I did one on the forth of July a few years ago as a whole roast, it was ok, but not even close as good as it is as steaks. If I am doing a whole roast it is a tritip. Just remember @Rich G's reminder to cut with the grain into steaks so that the last cut is against the grain.
In all fairness, Michael, I was only passing along something that I had read about somewhere and found to work for me! :)

Good looking steaks, my friend!!

R

Back