Back to school pulled pork request

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
Kiddos went back to school virtually yesterday and my son requested pulled pork for dinner and school lunches at home. I picked up a Boston Butt from the local butcher/farmer on Saturday. Check out this cut of meat for me. Check out the bone what do you guys think it is. I have never seen a Boston Butt bone look like that. This is the second one I have got from this farmer/butcher and the first was the same bone in cut. Keep it simple, salt only and a mop of vinegar, sugar, red pepper, black pepper.
The bone is there in the middle on this side
IMG_20200824_233146.jpg
And here is the other side bone again in the middle.
IMG_20200824_233139.jpg
Here is this morning 8 hours in.1598409354923~2.jpg
Ready to be pulled 15 hours after put on.1598381753456~2.jpg
Here is it pulled after hanging out wrapped in a towel and cooler a few hours. 20200825_172714.jpg
And a plate20200825_173139.jpg
Check out these bones, what do you guys think? Is it half way between the true Boston butt and a picnic shoulder? 20200825_171833.jpg

Attachments

• 1598381753456~2.jpg
    1598381753456~2.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 1
That is definitely a pork picnic shoulder, but with the skin removed and not a pork butt , you can also tell by the bone that you removed it is somewhat rounded , if it was a bone removed from a pork butt it would be more blade like in appearance. Maybe the farmer doesn't know the difference or maybe that is all he had on hand and didn't want to lose a sale . Or maybe he takes the skin off the pork picnic shoulder and disguises it to look like a pork butt ,hopefully that's not the case.

Last edited:
That is definitely a pork picnic shoulder, but with the skin removed and not a pork butt , you can also tell by the bone that you removed it is somewhat rounded , if it was a bone removed from a pork butt it would be more blade like in appearance. Maybe the farmer doesn't know the difference or maybe that is all he had on hand and didn't want to lose a sale .

+1

That's what I was thinking as soon as I saw the whole bone.

It's a great looking plate - love the color on that pork!

Man, I'd consider going back to school if that was the lunch coming out of the cafeteria! Nice smoke!

Yep a picnic. Nothing wrong with picnic roasts. Here they are a bit cheaper than the the butt. The ones here are always skinless, unless you can buy direct from a farmer.

Color looks great. I usually cook a couple picnics a year anyways I really like them but usually do skin on. I get more of a ham flavor from the picnic.

That's the way to kick off the school year. Now, if you can just keep it up until next summer! Butt or Picnic, it looks delicious.

That is definitely a pork picnic shoulder, but with the skin removed and not a pork butt , you can also tell by the bone that you removed it is somewhat rounded , if it was a bone removed from a pork butt it would be more blade like in appearance. Maybe the farmer doesn't know the difference or maybe that is all he had on hand and didn't want to lose a sale . Or maybe he takes the skin off the pork picnic shoulder and disguises it to look like a pork butt ,hopefully that's not the case.
That's the way to kick off the school year. Now, if you can just keep it up until next summer! Butt or Picnic, it looks delicious.
Oh I am setting myself up to burn out fast, tonight my oldest asked for grilled chicken salads and to have leftovers tomorrow, so double batch of food made tonight still have extra for tomorrow.

Man, I'd consider going back to school if that was the lunch coming out of the cafeteria! Nice smoke!

Yep a picnic. Nothing wrong with picnic roasts. Here they are a bit cheaper than the the butt. The ones here are always skinless, unless you can buy direct from a farmer.
I got home from work today and my son said you are never going to guess what I had for lunch today. My wife then said no the better question is to ask him what he had for breakfast. He had pulled pork in tortilla for breakfast and pulled pork sandwiches for lunch. He said dad you make pork sausage tortillas for breakfast how is this any difference.

As for the smoke ring I got some local hickory wood and man do I love the flavor and the smoke ring from using it.

Color looks great. I usually cook a couple picnics a year anyways I really like them but usually do skin on. I get more of a ham flavor from the picnic.
See that is what confused me about this piece of meat. The two picnic shoulders I have smoked have been more triangle in shape and much more hammy in taste. The shape was not what I expected of a picnic and the taste was not hammy at all, but reminded me of a typical Boston Butt. No matter it was good yesterday and today at lunch for me too! There is a little left, but that will be left for the son. He better know I love him.

Yep, I knew it was not a Boston butt because the bone was not a "Blade", just also not what I have seen as a typical picnic either. Thanks for the expertise!

Picnic or Butt, it's some good looking pulled pork. I can't let my kids see that - they'll be asking for it when they go back to school. :LOL:

Back