Back to Basics

Stuart S

TVWBB Pro
Beautiful day in Ottawa today. Sunny and 80 and the boss had some jobs on the list for me to do in the backyard so I figured I should multitask. The last few times I've made ribs I've been underwhelmed by the results. They were good, but not as good as they were when I was first starting out a few years ago.

I set up my performer with my trusty old Smokenator and dug in for a 6 hour cook. Mixed new Briqs with sugar maple and apple chunks, then fired off 10 used coals in my mini Ikea chimney. Dumped the lit coals in and then went to get my back ribs trimmed and rubbed while I let the temp come up to 225. Got the ribs on about 1:00, then snapped a pic an hour later.
null-6.jpg

Got the yard cleaned up, put the canvas roof on the gazebo, put the lights up in the gazebo and harvested some green onions that have taken off in the last few days. I may have enjoyed a few cold ones in the sun too :)

I also took a quick run to Costco and hit the MOTHERLOAD of all finds. Rufus Teague's Touch o Heat in a 1 liter bottle for $6.99. For the sake of comparison in Canada we usually pay around $7 for one of the regular bottles.

The cashier gave me a strange look...so I asked her "doesn't everyone buy six bottles of this stuff"?
null-7.jpg

About 7:00 the ribs came off, right as I was ready to break open another Steamwhistle.
null-8.jpg

And they were served with macaroni salad, peas and Potato salad. All covered in spring onions (which were added after this pic).
null-9.jpg

So what I learned is that the WSM does a great job for lots of ribs, PP and Brisket. The ATC makes life allot easier on overnight cooks.

But sometimes cooking the simple way reaps great rewards, and this was proof of that.

My GAWD! Lookit Those PEAS!!
AWESOME Stuart!!!
Ribs look FANTASTIC!!
did not know Teague had sauce available in such large bottles...
smiley-think005.gif

My GAWD! Lookit Those PEAS!!
did not know Teague had sauce available in such large bottles...
smiley-think005.gif

First time I've seen it in a big jar like that, and first time at Costco. Hopefully it catches on, then y'all will get it in the US and A (Costco Headquarters is in Ottawa, so they test stuff here).

Sweet lookin' ribs, Stuart. I need to now figure out what a Smokenator is, though I can guess.

It's the metal plate on the left of the first picture. Basically keeps the fire contained like chimney bricks do, but it takes a bit less space. I bought it a few years ago and used it a bunch, then moved on to fire bricks, so its been sitting idle. I will say, it uses less charcoal than an open pit of coals behind fire bricks.

Back