Back to Baby Backs

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I've been smoking spares most of the summer. We were in Costco the other day and noticed they had nice St. Louis cut spares with the brisket bone removed for $2.99/lb. I was tempted to get those but went with my original plan of the loin back ribs. Only did one rack and now I wish I went with two as they're mostly gone. Here's a few pic's.

Rubbed down with Ozark Heat.

enhance

On the WSM.

enhance

Three hours in.

enhance

Sauced and foiled. Used Blues Hog BBQ Sauce.

enhance

enhance

After an hour and 15 minutes.

enhance

Threw on some potatoes and artichokes.

enhance

Applied more sauce and back on for around 45 more minutes, no foil.

enhance

The ribs probed well so I called it a cook.

enhance

Had about an hour before dinner so I foiled and cooler.

enhance

Plated it up.

enhance

Another fun cook. Good way to spend the holiday weekend. My wife loved the ribs so I was happy. Thank you all for looking.

Never had an artichoke like that. How do you eat it? Just pull it apart like a bloomin onion and eat it?

Well, sort of. Assuming you're not yanking my chain :) just pull off the leaves and dip them in mayo and pull the soft pulp off the undersides of the leaves with your teeth. After most of the leaves are eaten, separate the base, or the heart, and dip that as well, it's the best part. My wife loves them and we have them a lot.

Great cook Cliff, love BBs, been doing spares also with HH. Done in about two hours got the cooks timing down now last three cooks with spares have been great. Time for some BBs.

Well, sort of. Assuming you're not yanking my chain :) just pull off the leaves and dip them in mayo and pull the soft pulp off the undersides of the leaves with your teeth. After most of the leaves are eaten, separate the base, or the heart, and dip that as well, it's the best part. My wife loves them and we have them a lot.

;) Nope, it was a serious question. I've only had the prepared hearts in a jar in various dishes. I've seen artichokes in the supermarket from time-to-time but never knew what to do with it. Will try it in the near future.

A fellow gardener grew a few in their garden this year.

Back