Back at it and happy .......

Rolf Jacobsen

TVWBB Emerald Member
Just got back from a great vacation to Montana. Nancy & I fly fish so this is heaven. We rented a house right on the Bitterroot River....
Bitterrot-13-040-L.jpg

We never found the need to eat out as they actually had a grill on the deck. I have to hand it to you gasser folks, charcoal is a lot easier, at least for me.......
Bitterrot-13-028-L.jpg

We made the best of it though thanks to good meat........
Bitterrot-13-025-L.jpg

They turned out good in spite of me.........
Bitterrot-13-029-L.jpg

So we got home on Tuesday. Last night was hot sausage on the grill and tonight we did something simple. Sirloin marinated in a garlic/cracked pepper offering from Lowry. It may be just me but I honestly feel if you wish to enhance the flavor of meat, a rub is more effective. Ready to go........
dinner-913-001-L.jpg

Some taters prepped.... thanks Mr. Lampe!!!!!!!!!!
dinner-913-006-L.jpg

Done!
dinner-913-013-L.jpg

dinner-913-014-L.jpg

Plated with some awesome fresh Tuscany garlic bread........It's nice to be home!
dinner-913-015-L.jpg

Thanks & I hope you enjoyed it.

Last edited:
That is a great cabin, looks like a lot of fun. Nice looking cooks, too! I don't think I've ever heard anyone say charcoal is easier than gas, and I'm kind of curious why. I see that's a 2-burner model, so I'm guessing it was the lack of flexibility in heat zones?

Puttin a charcoal grill on a deck of a rental, screams BURN IT DOWN!
Glad to see you were able to get by with the gas! Looks great!

Where's the fish? Looks like a great place, did you listen to Bitterroot while you were there? Last time I tried fly fishing the only thing I caught was myself :D, maybe I should come down for some lessons.

Great looking food and pics Rolf!
And what a nice place to vacation!

I agree, it's hard to beat cooking on a Performer.

Thanks for the kind word folks. The price was reasonable and the place was so nice we actually opted out of fishing sometimes just to relax on the deck. We had dinner at “home” every night. The nearest town is Conner with Darby a close second. Keep these folks in your thoughts as they are having a very tough time with wild fires right now. The fires were/are, very close and it was smoky almost every day. Visibility was lousy so the sightseeing was tough. There were ashes on the car every morning and you could always smell smoke. So if all this sounds mediocre at best, it wasn’t. Nancy and I both agree this was the best vacation we have had. We fished in the mornings, relaxed on the deck during the day, and fished for an hour or so at night, (6:00). This usually resulted in each of us catching a dozen or so Rainbows or Cutts. We didn’t make it all about fishing and took time to visit some local, (within 100 miles), areas.

The smoke & haze....
Bitterrot-13-005-L.jpg

Bitterrot-13-006-L.jpg

The Bitterroot in front of the cabin....
Bitterrot-13-042-L.jpg

Lots of room in Montana...
Bitterrot-13-066-L.jpg

Beautiful photos of FOOD & SCENERY Rolf!
and that Gasser looks to be a FANTASTIC condition!

Great Post! Thank You for sharing!! :)

Nice cook and vaca! Love Montana! I still have roots in the flat head lake area! Looks like a great little party to me!!

I just got back from a vacation in Montana also, a few days in Missoula and Glacier, an amazing place. How do you prep those smashed potatoes?

I just got back from a vacation in Montana also, a few days in Missoula and Glacier, an amazing place. How do you prep those smashed potatoes?

Thank Mr. Lampe for the potatoes. I've done them two ways. Boil them in hot water/salt until they are tender. Smash them then add EVOO/salt/pepper/rosemary or EVOO/ garlic salt/pepper. Good Luck!
Rolf

Back