Back at Costco

Decent prices if you want new ones. But not in my budge or on my wish list. I would rather save $1000 and rebuild a classic Genesis and a Q2xx.
Just think how many 1.5 lb Ribeyes you can load your freezer with for $1000.

I gotta ask...Can you eat a 1.5lb rib-eye by yourself, or does that feed a family? I think a healthy portion of red meat is like 4 oz.?

Ed, Yes, I could probably eat a 1.5 lb ribeye. But, in reality, I wouldn't. That is more like a two person steak. A 1 lb ribeye probably wouldn't make it off my plate.
Anyway, I don't really say that with pride as the bathroom scale keeps me humble in that regard.

Oh, by the way, I think a 4 oz ribeye is just as absurd as a 1.5 lb ribeye.

t0sG1c6.jpg

Yeah, you definitely live in the Dairy State! They ran all the cows out of my area a couple of decades ago because of the air pollution, of all things! And the nitrates in the water, which is precious in this part of the Golden State. I see the pictures that you, Larry, and Jon post, and sometimes wonder how many people are over for dinner. We were at the butcher shop early last year and I took this picture of the t-bones they had for sale. That is more like a roast than a steak in my eyes!

And I try to avoid the bathroom scale as much as possible!

Attachments

• 20200909_125204.jpg
    20200909_125204.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 19
You would probably laugh at the size of the steaks they usually sell at the local markets here...of course, the meat cutter will cut whatever size you want, but I never bother.

No sign of that "SIgnateur" 5-burner all-stainless grill? I was actually impressed in a number of ways and thought the price was fair. Now there is very clean one for sale less than an hour from me and down to $200. It got a lot of negative reviews regarding not getting hot enough. It uses a solid metal shield rather than flavorizer bars. Maybe it could be re-engineered and made to live up to its potential.

Picked up a Q-200 last time I saw this sale. I really like that black though. Damn it!!

1.5lb strip steak (yeah I cut them that big :D) feeds my wife and I easily with enough leftover for either steak and eggs for breakfast next day for myself, or a steak taco for lunch for me. Or if I decide to make myself salmon for supper the next day a supper for my wife

So Would you rather have a well refurbished Genny 3 or 3000 and a smoke temp probe setup or that new fangled Genny S345 with the igrill 3?

Last edited:
So Would you rather have a well refurbished Genny 3 or 3000 and a smoke temp probe setup or that new fangled Genny S345 with the igrill 3?
If I was given one for free. I would take the S345. Then I would sell it for $700, buy a $20 Genesis 1000, rehab it for another $100 buy the Thermoworks Smoke for $75 and have $500 left over for meat for the freezer.

If I was given one for free. I would take the S345. Then I would sell it for $700, buy a $20 Genesis 1000, rehab it for another $100 buy the Thermoworks Smoke for $75 and have $500 left over for meat for the freezer.
That was what I was thinking. When I see these $1000 dollar grills, I am amazed they sell so well.

Yep, When they start selling grills for $1000 or more, they are entering the high end market and I just don't think Weber Genesis II grills do well in that price range. There are a lot of other established companies with high quality offerings in that price range. Several are still made in the USA as well.
I am afraid that Weber is still living on it's name and in time that reputation will fade to the point the the WEBER name won't be synonymous with outdoor Gas grills any longer. I really think this started a long time back though. This didn't just begin with the Genesis II or even the point that Weber shipped most of their manufacturing over to China. This didn't even begin with the introduction of the Genesis E series grills. I think this started back in the mid 2000's when they went to cabinet grills that rust out in 5 years. 25 year warranties on cook boxes and lids are meaningless if the rest of the grill is a mess in 5 or 10 years.

If I weren't already submerged in grill parts, I could have grabbed a decent Genesis II for $250 last night. (Already sold this morning.) I would just like to have the opportunity to closely inspect and try one out. But much of what we hear on this board seems to indicate that I would only be very disappointed. I am even beginning to doubt they will be restorable when 5 year old ones start flooding the market like 300 series ones do now. Those bent metal legs and metal slats on the bottom look like very difficult obstacles to overcome if rusted. Then there are the interior issues that Horace and some others have shown. Too bad. At first pass the open cart ones do LOOK pretty nice.

Jon, I agree. I will probably be out of the business by the time the Gen II grills are getting to the age that they are serious rehab candidates. And even then, the limitations they will have will make them a sketchy proposition unless some aftermarket sources get involved for parts other than burners, grates and flavorizer bars. On the one nearly new Gen II E310 I picked up that had collision damage, I did save most of the frame parts...at least ones that were not damaged too bad, but It is unlikely we can find a cheap Gen II grills that have useable parts in the future.

I think that Weber sees the reality for most people today and built the Genesis II to look nice and hopefully cook well for five years or so. Most owners dispose of them by then. Weber wasn’t trying for the rugged and simple original Genesis that can be used for 20 years or more with some just overhauls along the way. It is hard truth for many of us to accept, but it is the way it is.

I think that Weber sees the reality for most people today and built the Genesis II to look nice and hopefully cook well for five years or so. Most owners dispose of them by then. Weber wasn’t trying for the rugged and simple original Genesis that can be used for 20 years or more with some just overhauls along the way. It is hard truth for many of us to accept, but it is the way it is.
I’m more than happy with my Q-320 I just hope they keep on making the 3200’s. It’s all the gas I would need.

Back