Baby Backs on the WSM

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame

I decided to cook some baby backs this past weekend.

First I pulled the membrane as best I could.

Slathered in mustard.

Seasoned with salt, pepper, sugar, paprika, mustard powder

Fired up the WSM with KBB and Oak chunks

Otis waiting for some ribs.

After the wrap with a few layers of sauce.

Some hassleback potatoes with Cheese.

Ribs relaxing

Got a nice smoke ring, ribs supper moist and tender.

Ready to chow down!

I did 2 things differently than I normally do. I raised my temp to 275 for this cook. I'm typically more in the 225 to 250 range. The second is that I wrapped them (GASP!) I'm normally a no wrap guy but my wife likes the ribs more tender. I did basically 2 hours to 2 1/2 hours in smoke, 1 hr wrapped, another hour unwrapped basting with sauce every 15 to 20 minutes. These are by far the best baby backs I've cooked. The meat came away from the bone with a tug and had a clean bite. I think I'm done not wrapping ribs. That is of course unless I'm cooking a lot of them and get lazy...

That is an awesome plate of food, the ribs and potatoes with cheese look real yummy.

I've always wrapped mine and been very happy with them, but the next cook I'm going to try not wrapping. Although looking at your ribs I may have to rethink that idea. Nice cook for sure.

Ribs look great, I use the same method you used here and my ribs always come out near perfect. I have to try some hasselbacks real soon after seeing yours.

Dustin,

Great looking ribs dude! Love the color and the smoke ring. Those hasselbacks look very tasty too. Nice looking meal...

Regards,

John

Back