Baby Backs and Beef Backs today

Dave Penn

TVWBB Fan
Did a couple racks of beef back ribs and one rack of BBs. Love having both varieties to serve; I think they compliment each other nicely.

I do my beef ribs (most of my beef, actually) over mesquite. These were on for 2-1/4 hours at 250 with the same rub I use on brisket.

The pork were rubbed with the same rub I use on butts done on my other WSM over wine-barrel oak. 3 hours at 275.

Starting at the 1-hour mark, I spritzed them with apple juice every 20 minutes.

Both were sauced and finished for another 15 minutes before taking them off. I used Wee Willy's Original on the pork and their Texas Pit on the beef.

Both turned out really nice. Just the right amount of smoke, great bark.

The beef back ribs:

beef_done_cut1_zps0c856c35.jpg

...and the BB's:

bbs_done_cut1_zps732593fa.jpg

Love the beef ribs!

Me too, James. I started cutting meat in my grandpa's grocery store when I was 10 years old, and I'll never forget the great smell of cutting into a side of beef. I still love the smell of good fresh beef, and it's still my favorite meat overall.

The beef ribs are definely harder to find than pork ribs. Luckily, a couple of outlets local to me have started carrying them - maybe in part because of all the nagging I've done. :) These were packed by National Beef out of Kansas City. National has several lines of beef. These were from their main line; I've had great beef ribs out of their Hereford line as well. They come 2 racks to a cryo-pack; not sure how many come in a case.

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I've got a pro photographer friend coaching me on my meat-ography...in exchange for lots of smoked meat, of course.

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited:
Wow Dave, those look spectacular. Been wanting to try beef ribs for a while, this definitely just made me much more inclined to do so

Back