Baby Back Ribs some weeks before Christmas!

Geert Roelofs

Some weeks ago I posted my first report on this forum and promised to show you more about what I am doing here in Europe from time to time.
So this is the next in the series and today I show you my way of cooking baby back ribs.

We had a beautiful day today in The Netherlands with 50F temperature and some sun every now and then.
An excellent day to install the X-mas tree, put the little lights in the trees in front of our house and.........to have gate fun with a smoking session of Baby Back ribs!

At 11:30am the WSM started it's job, the baby back ribs were in the fridge overnight in Boston Butt rub.
Some cherry wood chunks used on top of the cocos coals and......there we go!

The process to cook these ribs was the 3-2-1 hours method.
I smoked them for 3 hours at 230F, then wrapped in aluminium foil with honey, brown sugar and butter, then back on the WSM47 for another 2 hours.
Then unwrap and cook for 30 minutes and glazed them 15 minutes with Stockyard Southern Blues sauce.

We had an excellent meal at 05:45pm and I can tell you that these ribs were awesome!

Thanks for watching!

in the rub and vacuum for 1 night in the fridge
ribvaccum.jpg

18 charcoals ready to do the job
kooltjesklaar.jpg

Smoke baby smoke!
wsmroker.jpg

Nice tan and smoke flavor after 3 hours
4ribbenna3uurtjesop8december.jpg

and of course a bit of X-mas around the smoker!
kerstribben1.jpg

ready to be glazed
kerstribjevoorglazen.jpg

Stockyard Southern Blues BBQ sauce on the ribs!
spareribsglaze.jpg

ready to eat and enjoy!
sprareibsstukjes.jpg

Last edited:
yeah, i'm gonna agree with Mike 100%... EXCELLENT looking Ribs!! Love to eet those RIGHT NOW!

Beautiful Ribs, Geert. Go figure: you have 50 degree weather and we're freezin' our buns off over here.

Those ribs look perfect.

The handle on your wsm are the ones that Marty makes?

Tony, yes indeed, the handle on my WSM has been made by Marty!
I have these on all my cookers and they are great. (and so is Marty)

Geert, those are some of the best damn ribs I have seen.... I like how you do things in the Netherlands.
Took the words right out of my mouth! Those really are awesome ribs! I love the rib rack too. Where did you find that little sweet heart?

Took the words right out of my mouth! Those really are awesome ribs! I love the rib rack too. Where did you find that little sweet heart?
This little sweet heart is an IKEA kitchen product.
Details:
RATIONELL VARIERA pot lid organizer $ 5,99
adjustable, stainless steel
L 3 1/4 - 19 3/4 x W 5 3/4 x H 4 "
IKEA art.nr. 701.548.00

They come in a small carton box and require very simple assembly and.....don't forget to remove the plastic little feet, you will notice what I mean.
I hope this feedback is of help for you, quite a few pit masters here in The Netherlands use some of those, they are real big value for the money!

ikearekje.jpg

Last edited:

Back