Baby Back Epic Failure

have you ever had any problem with the lid thermometer before or since? I've been fixated with lid temp vs grill temp lately so i got an oven thermometer to place on the top rack. It reads about 10* cooler than the lid.... Haven't checked the bottom rack yet, but suspect it's at least 20* cooler than lid temp.

I'm a total rookie at this, but if I were in a similar situation I'd be temped to wrap them in foil and baste with some kind of liquid before putting them on a grill. What do you guys think of that approach? Trying to be prepared in case I need to save a cook with hungry people waiting!

well, if you ask me, there is a BIG difference between the 22" and the 18" WSM besides size.
Seemed like i never had a problem with the 18" (Brand Spankin' New)...
then after two+ years of using the 18" switched to the 22".
that's when everything i knew about using a WSM was tossed out the window.
fuel comsumption to using the bottom vents to going back to water OR something in the water bowl...
butt lots of cooking with it and going thru all the nooks and ironing out the wrinkles... it takes time.

STILL EZ'er THAN AN OFFSET
deadhorse.gif

What was the deal, Paul? What kind of charcoal and are you sure it hadn't been exposed to humidity or moisture? How much did you light?

I haven't had any issues like this with mine, and I usually cook twice that many back ribs at once. :confused:

I am of the opinion that the charcoal was fine, the issue was not having the vents wide open from the beginning then shutting them down. I really did a I know what I am doing and just was overconfident.

have you ever had any problem with the lid thermometer before or since? I've been fixated with lid temp vs grill temp lately so i got an oven thermometer to place on the top rack. It reads about 10* cooler than the lid.... Haven't checked the bottom rack yet, but suspect it's at least 20* cooler than lid temp.

Some of my problems are I did not use my Maverick. I just did not take the smoke serious.

Maby a tad overdone...But then again hwo cares right? I would eat those with a smile on my face!

Back