Average Used/Restored Grill Prices - Valuations Guide

Willard

TVWBB Fan
From reading this great forum I have learned that many restorers (flippers) sell their grills privately. One person, I read, has restored and sold over 100 grills, an amazing feat. I have seen the prices that grills fetch on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, but this doesn't always represent a restored grill as they are mostly grills people want to get rid off.

I wonder what is the average asking price for a restored Spirit 300 series? What does a side burner add to the price? How about the older Genesis with the Wood parts?

I assume a mint condition grill with barely used parts fetches more $ than a beat up unit with significant rust on frame and rusted flav. bars but I just would like a general idea. You don't have to disclose what you sell your grills for -- I know that is private -- but you can indicate what you have observed.

Thanks,
Will

$100 to $300 for a repaired or restored 3 burner grill. Side burners don’t fetch a premium.

The old grills with wood are usually restored by the owner. You would never recoup the cost of the wood and finishing in a resale.

Here the same. In average I got about $150 - $300 for a grill. Mostly around $200-$250. In my neck of the woods people are looking for modern looking SS grills. I had a hard time selling any of the old style grills with wood or colored lids. A Genesis with SS lid and SS cabinet was easier to flip than old style X000. Side burners or other accessories such as a rotisseries did not improve the value either.
Because of the work involved and replacement parts getting more expensive or hard to find I stopped restoring grills over a year ago. It was more a hobby to "finance" my own grills but not a business to make money. Not enough margin.

Here the same. In average I got about $150 - $300 for a grill. Mostly around $200-$250. In my neck of the woods people are looking for modern looking SS grills. I had a hard time selling any of the old style grills with wood or colored lids. A Genesis with SS lid and SS cabinet was easier to flip than old style X000. Side burners or other accessories such as a rotisseries did not improve the value either.
Because of the work involved and replacement parts getting more expensive or hard to find I stopped restoring grills over a year ago. It was more a hobby to "finance" my own grills but not a business to make money. Not enough margin.
Weber reported yesterday that they are barely able to keep up with sales of their Traveler grill @ $325. It's a tough market.

Way too many variables. How much is it restored? New burners? New Flavorizer bars? New Grates? Inside of lid and cook box completely clean? Repainted? Etc.......
Then you have to realize that your local market has a lot to do with it is as well. If you are in a big metro area, you can usually get a higher price than if you live far away from metro areas. Difference parts of the country bring different prices as well.

Best thing to do is rehab a couple and put them up for sale and see what happens. If you have to sit on them for more than a week or two, you need to drop the prices. If they sell within a couple days, you probably are under pricing.

I'm north of New York City in Westchester County. A couple of weeks ago, I restored and sold two (2) Spirit 310. These being my first two, I'm sure I made many mistakes.

I thoroughly removed/disassembled all parts and cleaned the frame and the manifold. I removed the burner tubes and scrubbed them off to remove what looked like rust (but wasn't). I cleaned the knobs and reset the igniter. The bottom shelf had surface rust, I scrapped it and then used Rustoleum High Heat Ultra to protect it. I completely cleaned the cook box using a putty knife. I degreased the cooking grates and removed all burned grease from it. I used Simple Green, white vinegar and baking soda. I used Stainless Steel cleaner and left it shinning like a new penny. Oh, on the last one, I used plastic restorer on the sides of the cookbox, think of Armor-all but high end and used to protect plastic (overkill). I also used car wax on the lid and made it shine as well. (see enclosed pictures)

I listed them for $100 each and both sold in a couple of hours the same day.

I realize now that I'm treating these grills as if they were for my own use, doing too much. I average five (5) hours of work on each. I should either raise the price and continue selling them in the amazing condition I bring them up to. Or I should do less work and sell them cheaper. Because I enjoy the restore work and bringing back old/forgotten things back to life, I'm inclined to continue doing my best with them. Which is why I asked for general ideas on pricing.

Attachments

• E25ADE6E-0561-4228-B5A6-FE166D9BFD1A.jpeg
    E25ADE6E-0561-4228-B5A6-FE166D9BFD1A.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 19
  • D0A25C3E-6B2D-4F3A-8902-A1CD9A55C120.jpeg
    D0A25C3E-6B2D-4F3A-8902-A1CD9A55C120.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 19
The cook box is sand blasted inside and out. The outside was then painted with the Rustoleum High Heat matte paint.

Grill Valuations for 2023

This forum includes the most knowledgeable restorers and ethical people I know. As such, no other group is in a better position to provide their approximate valuations, or typical sale price for Spirit and Genesis gas grills for 2023.

I'm on my grill number 27 and something tells me that I'm underpricing my grills because they usually sell in a couple of days. I continue to use this as a hobby and to teach my kids mechanical and troubleshooting skills but I'm curious to see what others are doing.

Has the price changed in the past 3 years? Please provide the approximate asking price that grills list for in your area.

My observations are there are a number of variables:
- region makes a big difference
- seasonality makes a big difference
- amount of new parts makes a big difference
- the grill itself makes a big difference

IMHO, to many variables to track.

Maybe just count your blessings, well I said that and then saw your pricing. Nah, you're giving that away

I watch the FBM pages in central Indiana. Of course, you can't really tell what price is ultimately paid.

My general observations are:

Genesis 300 series grills
$250 - $350 for something decent that is not a rust bucket. To move one that has "issues" is a below $200 price tag. As an outlier on this series, earlier this summer I sold a totally maxed out restoration/custom paint job Genesis 330 SE with a lot of features.
NEW Closeup Lead Picture.jpeg
Inside of Cabinet showing stainless parts.jpeg
Inside grates and hood.jpeg
I wound up getting $645 after some waiting. I doubt that I could get anywhere near that for the more basic 3-burner I am doing now. It will have the same stainless parts, but not be nearly so perfect of laden with extras.

Genesis II Grills

These are priced all over the place. I am seeing some natural gas ones for as low a $200-$250. A nice one with LP maybe $400, more if it has the sear burner or some other extras. A color other than black is probably a plus for these as well.

"New" Genesis Grills

Just starting to see some of these. Prices are at least $650 to $700 as the ones I have seen still look almost new. An Ace Indigo one will probably sell faster than a black one. Stainless grate ones will probably also get a few more bucks. I would guess that to sell one that has seen a good bit of use already and has cast iron grates would require a lower price.

"Classic" Genesis Grills

The market around me is very weak for my personal favorite older Weber grills. This is very sad to me. There are gobs of Silvers - a lot of 2-burner Silver As - and a few x000/1-5 wood slat grills. Nothing gaining any real traction unless priced below $100. A beautiful - though not restored - redhead with sharp looking wood has sat unsold for months. Listed at only $250.

This early Genesis 3, with many rare original features, wound up being marked down to THIRTY-FIVE BUCKS before it finally sold 😥 😥 😥

Genesis 3 on FBM.jpg
My market apparently does not have many long-time Weber fans...

Thanks Jon Tofte, that custom paint job Genesis 330 SE was sick. Beautiful grill and your details on pricing was super helpful.

Here is a quick glance at the market in Seattle....
Notice the ads with the location at the bottom 'East Renton Highlands' --- he's the flipper whose grills have sat for 1.5+years.... its annoying that he refreshes his ads EVERY damn day. He is obviously asking too much for them --- ERH is actually pretty close to Tacoma, so there are plenty of possible buyers close by. Notice he has a genny B that is missing the thermometer for $200 --- people are shying away from the older A/Bs without the CENTER thermometer nowadays --- hard to even get $150 in really good shape.... Center dial A/Bs may still bring $200 on a good day.... The Spirits (2016 models) still can bring a good price - $200-300 pretty easily in good shape.

Like I said - grills priced 'reasonably' in the $100-200 range based on condition go pretty quick. Don't see too many Genesis II or Spirit II grills going by much, but they do pop up every once in a while. 3x0 grills can be all over the map.

I moved a Summit Silver 4 burner in pretty solid shape - but the box was starting to rust - for $280 in 4 hours with lots of inquiries after just before the fourth --- I realized I priced it too low - should have been $325-350 --- I priced it to move quickly.
Also moved a 2 burner Spirit (2016) that was missing a side table - had rust on the bars next to the tables (from years of pine needle) and faded knobs - but otherwise solid (no rust in the cabinet) ---- for $140 on the fourth weekend --- I was honest about the condition and posted pics --- it took 3 days and had 2 or 3 inquiries too. The killer thing about that flip is the grill came with a almost full Blue Rhino tank - that I sold with the Summit for $45 - and a brand new IN BOX cover that I returned to Home Depot for $90 - plus some long tongs (OXO) and a clean brush for me ---- what I thought would be maybe ~$150 easy flip turned out to be $275!!!!!

Seems like the best selling times up here are just before Memorial Day thru the 4th --- then it dies off badly until there is another window right around Labor Day. Freebies pop up every so often (sometimes more) --- but there seems to be LOTS of them in the fall and winter --- I'll grab them and save them til spring.

Jim that is what looks like to be a really nice SSP for $100 bucks in Kirkland no tank it appears but Flame King still sells one for 50 bucks if you wanted to buy one.

While I do like SS --- I already snagged a Performa that came with a cover, hose and a full 20#er ~year and a half ago for freeeeee!
Yeah --- I swapped out the wheels for off a flipper grill (the pic is from when I brought it home) - so its pretty much perfect. I always make MY grills look nice!
20220510_133955.jpg

It seems like the market doesn't value the 'old school cool' grills up here, so resale is difficult.
I'm patient..... I wait for nice grills to come to me for free! Still on the hunt for a Spirit (2016 front knob) 3-burner.... or a Genesis/Spirit II series....

I thought this one was interesting..... Note the last line!!!! I'm calling him out for charging $25 more.......

Screenshot 2023-08-02 124409.jpg

Last edited:
This was listed yesterday for $300 and its showing sold

1691016667826.png

This one was listed for $60 and it went quickly
1691016708484.png

This one is still listed at $300

1691016755252.png

and this one was listed at $800, had a price drop to $675 and is still listed

1691016812813.png

Back