AUBER CONTROLLER FOR WSM

I wanted something for long cooks. This unit I cant trust. I read the reviews, some good, some bad. If I have to rework my whole system, I might as well buy an electric smoker. I will call them monday I guess, not sure what they can do. 20cfm shouldve been able to heat the wsm up. the temp swing was horrible 228-201 with a set point of 225. No friggin way I could hit 270s without opening the vents. Whats the point of the Auber if I have to do that? Sorry I purchased this after weeks of research.

I only had a gallon in the pan and it was hot by the time I installed the Auber. I dont expect it to be 225 spot on but 201 is a little low. blower running and watching the temp fall!.

if your not doing anything now, why don't you give it a test run without water in the pan, foil it and see what happens.....that way you can give your results to auber tomorrow when you contact them

I have a WSM 22.5 with the Auber (recently upgraded to Stoker). I used the Auber at least 15 times for smokes, and it held temps perfectly. I foiled the water pan, filled the charcoal ring, pulled about 20 coals and started them in the charcoal chimney. Put the lit coals back in the middle, closed all bottom vents, left the top vent open 3/4 of the way (can't believe Auber recommends closing 100%??? That has to be wrong.) No water in the pan (I have never used water...it doesn't really moisturize the meat; it only acts as a heat sink that you don't need with an ATC.)

I don't bother putting the temp probes through the top vents, I just put them on the grill and put the lid on them...no problems so far. You should have all bottom vents closed (or taped over) except for the one that has the Auber fan.

I throw the meat on even before temps are up to target (I usually cook at 225 to 250.) The Auber has always figured it out. Also, I have the smaller fan, and even with the monster WSM the Auber has held temps very well for me.

Make sure your top vent is open. I usually open mine 100% to 75%. If the Auber can't pump Oxygen through it can't raise the temp.

Right now I have bigger problems. Boat died on me in the ocean today. Im thinking water in the fuel. Frickin e10 crap. Now it wont run worth a crap. 08 honda 150 with 100 hours on it.

Originally posted by Jerry Lorton:
Right now I have bigger problems. Boat died on me in the ocean today. Im thinking water in the fuel. Frickin e10 crap. Now it wont run worth a crap. 08 honda 150 with 100 hours on it.

Stay safe my friend......

Just bite the bullet and ordered myself one of these units. What is the best way to run the Probe into the wsm?

Go to the modification site on here lots of great mods....
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I spoke to Auber, she told me to make sure I was up to temp before installing the fan. Really? I told her I was up to temp and then some. No reply.

Tommy, I removed the top screws that holds the inside rack holder. enlarged the hole to accept the 1/8" threaded hollow tubing (lamp rod), put a nut on both side. I can fit the both 732 and the Auber probes.

I have a 22.5" as well, Auber with 6.5cfm fan. I start with a full ring of lump and use a Weber starter cube to light the coals. As soon as the surrounding coal has caught I put it together with just a clay saucer in the foiled pan, Auber set at 250°, on/off mode, top vent 50% and it will take it up to set temp. When the lid comes off it drops the temp and then it will get a spike afterwards, but it usually settles back to set in about 15 minutes.

Originally posted by Jerry Lorton:
I spoke to Auber, she told me to make sure I was up to temp before installing the fan. Really? I told her I was up to temp and then some. No reply.

Tommy, I removed the top screws that holds the inside rack holder. enlarged the hole to accept the 1/8" threaded hollow tubing (lamp rod), put a nut on both side. I can fit the both 732 and the Auber probes.

I would continue to speak to somebody at Auber, I am sure they will come to some type of solution to help you out. Only thing I can think is that maybe it's either the PID itself or the blower.....ask them to replace your unit to see if that is the problem/send your unit back and have them research it....That is the only other way I can think of seeing what is truly wrong. Remember sweaky wheel gets the grease.

Originally posted by Greg Powers:
I have a 22.5" as well, Auber with 6.5cfm fan. I start with a full ring of lump and use a Weber starter cube to light the coals. As soon as the surrounding coal has caught I put it together with just a clay saucer in the foiled pan, Auber set at 250°, on/off mode, top vent 50% and it will take it up to set temp. When the lid comes off it drops the temp and then it will get a spike afterwards, but it usually settles back to set in about 15 minutes.

Are you happy with the Auber?

Greg-

How do you like the On/Off Mode????....It's the mode i want to use too so I can narrow in the temps better.....any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Getting no where with Auber. Have to use water and PID mode according to them. She almost sounds as if im lying about my problems. Done with them!

Back