AUBER CONTROLLER FOR WSM

Everything she tells me contradicts what you guys tell me. She states top vent must be closed and that i have to use water. If I close the top vent my fire will die even with the blower running. As far as water, I saw no difference. Im sorry I ever purchased this **** thing, as their CS hasn't been all that great to me as of yet.

Originally posted by Jerry Lorton:
Everything she tells me contradicts what you guys tell me. She states top vent must be closed and that i have to use water. If I close the top vent my fire will die even with the blower running. As far as water, I saw no difference. Im sorry I ever purchased this **** thing, as their CS hasn't been all that great to me as of yet.

I am sure calmers heads will prevail, if you haven't asked to speak to a manager then just go around her and speak to the person who can make that "Call".......

Hopefully this will end with a happy resolution for all.

Haven't gotten nasty yet and don't want too, shouldn't have too.

I agree with you totally, but if you can't get the answers your looking for, then it's time to move on (level headed) to a supervisor.

Jerry,

I had basically the same problems you did. Suyi was very responsive and even offered to come to my house to see my problems in person and to tune the Auber so it would work (I live about 5 miles from their HQs). They said that approximately 1% of customers have our same problem.....but they dont know why. While I am nto happy with the Auber, and am sending it back, I though the customer service has been pretty good.

PS The reason I didnt take Suyi up on the offer to come to my house was that I don't want to have a device that I need the manufacturer to "tune" So, I guess I need to shop for a new ATC.

After reading this post I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about my new Auber.
icon_frown.gif

According to auber 1 to 2 percent have my issue.

If I'm a 1 to 2 percenter, not much I can do about it. Flip side is 98 to 99 percent are ok. First cook should tell.

I'm not a BBQ or WSM expert, but I do know a thing or two about controls and would like to clear up some misconceptions I've seen in this thread.

First, the difference between on/off and PID. In the on/off mode the fan will blow continuously until it reaches the set point (say 250 for our example) and will stay off until the temp drops to a lower point (say 245) that will energize the fan until the set point is met again. This control scheme will much more likely result in temperature over runs. The fan may stop at 250, but the fire doesn't. There will be a period of time after the fan stops that the temp in the cooker is still rising. The particulars of your setup will determine how bad this over run will be. A PID controller takes this into account and will start cutting the fan output as it gets closer to the set point. To the best of my knowledge, the fans that comes with most of these BBQ systems do not have a variable capacity. They are either on or off. The way the PID modulates the fan output is how many seconds per minute that the fan is blowing. If you are far from the setpoint (say 200) then the fan will probably blow nearly continuously, if you are close to the setpoint (around 240) the fan will blow intermittently. This allows the PID control scheme to approach the setpoint more slowly where the on/off would blow continuously until setpoint.

For the PID controller to operate properly, there are a parameters that are already programmed into the unit when you get it. They are factory tuned to operate most smokers well, however they give you the option to let the controller run the the "autotune" routine which will overwrite the PID parameters with new values that are specific to your setup. Since the same model number controller (1614) is sold for different types of smokers, I can only assume that the parameter presets are different based on smoker type.

I hope this info is useful to someone.

Now, for possibly useless advice from someone who has never used an ATC. BE CONSISTENT!!!! There has been a ton of advice about water pans and dome vent position, but no one has said to be consistent. The controller should be able to compensate for variations in the system up to a point. To get the best results out of a controller like this is to set up the water pan, vent and build the fire in a way that is repeatable. I assume that the hardest part of this is to build a fire in a way that burns evenly and doesn't cause flare ups and temp over runs. Also, when running an ATC, DON'T MONKEY AROUND WITH ANYTHING. The ATC will never work if you are messing with the vents or opening lid regularly.
Please take the last paragraph with a grain of salt since I've never run one of these before.

I've never run one either, but I'm about to. I was going to use the on/off but may now have to rethink that.

Jerry, If you still have the unit I can probably take a look at it for you. I will be going up to Jacksonville next week. Just a suggestion.

No, it's gone. Thanks anyways. Fuel to Jacksonville would cost me more that the Auber
icon_smile.gif

Andy information: the ATC is used a lot in comp bbq events, people taking the lids on and off often, what ive seen it doesn't really change or over work the units....and the minion method for smokers work very well for controllers as long as you give the pit some time to get up in temps then turn the controller onto the desired settings. Keep us up to date on your experiences.

I use an Aubers ATC and love it. Sounds like there may have been several issues going on, but perhaps the unit was not functioning correctly. I had a bit of trouble with mine when it was new because the seetings were not suited to my smoker. I think I ran the auto tune function several times before it really dialed itself in and started working properly.

Sorry to hear the unit caused so much trouble. I know I love mine.

Originally posted by tim leo:
I use an Aubers ATC and love it. Sounds like there may have been several issues going on, but perhaps the unit was not functioning correctly. I had a bit of trouble with mine when it was new because the seetings were not suited to my smoker. I think I ran the auto tune function several times before it really dialed itself in and started working properly.

Sorry to hear the unit caused so much trouble. I know I love mine.

I know that if you contact customer service and tell them the temps you want to run your smoker they will provide you with the proper perimeters for your temps........

I want to use mine in the ON OFF MODE so I asked them and I received an email with the settings and how to program the settings into my unit.

Awesome Customer Service.

10 racks of baby backs, 18 mph wind, no ATC. Had no problems maintaining temps. Everyone enjoyed my cook, best they ever had! Going to stick with manual control..

Back