AUBER CONTROLLER FOR WSM

Jerry-

When did you get the unit, if your getting no where with her ask to speak to somebody else. I have heard nothing but good things about their customer service....until now, post a video and offer to send it to them so they can see the issues..

Did you try a cook without the water?.....foiled water pan?

I have looked at several ATCs and read many reviews and I have never seen a recommendation of using water. Water serves no purpose if you are using an ATC.

The purpose of water in the WSM is to act as a heat sink and assist you in maintaining your temperatures in a certain range. Since you are using an ATC to maintain your temps, you do not need to worry about the water.

The water in the pan does not “moisten” the meat. The meat is busy pushing out fat & moisture, not absorbing anything. There will be no ill affect on your end product by using an ATC and no water.

I think you have the 20 CFM? If so, and you still hate it, send me an email if you want to get rid of it, I was thinking about buying one for my Lang.

Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
I have looked at several ATCs and read many reviews and I have never seen a recommendation of using water. Water serves no purpose if you are using an ATC.

The purpose of water in the WSM is to act as a heat sink and assist you in maintaining your temperatures in a certain range. Since you are using an ATC to maintain your temps, you do not need to worry about the water.

The water in the pan does not “moisten” the meat. The meat is busy pushing out fat & moisture, not absorbing anything. There will be no ill affect on your end product by using an ATC and no water.

I think you have the 20 CFM? If so, and you still hate it, send me an email if you want to get rid of it, I was thinking about buying one for my Lang.

JS- I keep asking him if he has done a test without the water pan filled up. Told him to try without water in it...see whats going on......and im surprised with the response he has gotten from AUBER, I've heard nothing but good things about them taking care of their clients.......hmmmmm I wonder what's goin on?

No, I havent tried it yet, no time.

"I don't get why "If I closed the top vent the fire would die”. But if it's true, you need take more time to let the charcoal turn red before the controller controls the temperature. The water in the pan will increase the moisture. It will lower down the speed to heat up the smoker, but eventually the controller will be able to maintain the set value. But please note the sensor position should be not very near to the surface of the water."

Thanks,

Suyi Liu
Auber Instruments
www.auberins.com
770-569-8420

Originally posted by Jerry Lorton:
No, I havent tried it yet, no time.

"I don't get why "If I closed the top vent the fire would die”. But if it's true, you need take more time to let the charcoal turn red before the controller controls the temperature. The water in the pan will increase the moisture. It will lower down the speed to heat up the smoker, but eventually the controller will be able to maintain the set value. But please note the sensor position should be not very near to the surface of the water."

Thanks,

Suyi Liu
Auber Instruments
www.auberins.com
770-569-8420

I'd ask to talk with somebody else and see if they will send you another unit after you send them that unit back. BUT first find time to do a dry cook and see the results.

Hi Jerry!

Welcome to the forum fellow Central Floridian. I've had the Auber for almost 2 years and I have never had any problems with it. When I first got it I did have some questions and Suyi was great with response time and answer my questions. This is my method:

I first fill up the ring with unlit K. I light up a half a chimney of K. I place the lit K over the unlit(MM). I then put in the empty water pan and then I place a 20" or so foiled clay saucer in the water pan. I finish putting the WSM together and open up all the vents. I monitor the temps. I used to do low & slow at 225 but found I can get similar results at 275(less time). Once my temperature get to 250-260 or to within 20 degrees of my target I hook up the Auber fan to one of the vents taping off the remaining holes in that vent, I close up the other two lower vents and I close my top vent to between 1/4 and 1/2. I finish hooking up the Auber, it will get the WSM to 275 without any overshoots, I will check after an hour and typically the temperature is right on target. I have never smoked with a closed vents while using the Auber. I am of the belief that the air needs to go somewhere.

I have done 4 butts in 11 hours for tailgates at UCF and then I still have enough fire in the WSM to do 14 racks of ribs all with the assistance of the Auber, this was at 275. I have also done butts at 225, I've thrown them on at 6am, I have gone to the beach and came back at 6pm and they are right where they are suppose to be.

Try my method and see if it works and let me know. I have not used auto-tune. I set my temperature for 275 and my alarms at +/- 20 degrees. I have never had the temperatures run up on me, I have had temperatures go below 20 degrees of my target which means I need more K. I purchased my clay saucer at HD. If you have any questions please ask.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by Richard Diaz:
Hi Jerry!

Welcome to the forum fellow Central Floridian. I've had the Auber for almost 2 years and I have never had any problems with it. When I first got it I did have some questions and Suyi was great with response time and answer my questions. This is my method:

I first fill up the ring with unlit K. I light up a half a chimney of K. I place the lit K over the unlit(MM). I then put in the empty water pan and then I place a 20" or so foiled clay saucer in the water pan. I finish putting the WSM together and open up all the vents. I monitor the temps. I used to do low & slow at 225 but found I can get similar results at 275(less time). Once my temperature get to 250-260 or to within 20 degrees of my target I hook up the Auber fan to one of the vents taping off the remaining holes in that vent, I close up the other two lower vents and I close my top vent to between 1/4 and 1/2. I finish hooking up the Auber, it will get the WSM to 275 without any overshoots, I will check after an hour and typically the temperature is right on target. I have never smoked with a closed vents while using the Auber. I am of the belief that the air needs to go somewhere.

I have done 4 butts in 11 hours for tailgates at UCF and then I still have enough fire in the WSM to do 14 racks of ribs all with the assistance of the Auber, this was at 275. I have also done butts at 225, I've thrown them on at 6am, I have gone to the beach and came back at 6pm and they are right where they are suppose to be.

Try my method and see if it works and let me know. I have not used auto-tune. I set my temperature for 275 and my alarms at +/- 20 degrees. I have never had the temperatures run up on me, I have had temperatures go below 20 degrees of my target which means I need more K. I purchased my clay saucer at HD. If you have any questions please ask.

Good Luck!

Awesome instructions!

Thanks Richard, I will try that. I have a 10 degree differance between the Auber and my 732 with the probes being next to each other. Auber reads cooler. With all the emails to Auber, she sure as he11 didnt want to suggest a bad unit.

I had a full ring of unlit K, 20 lit K dumped in, vents open, water in, meat on. Temp came up to 230, closed vents on bottom 100%, closed top vent, installed the 20cfm blower, set temp to 225. Blower was pushing smoke out the closed vents. Temp starts to drop, 197 and I opened the top vent. temp came back to 215 then back to upper 100's.

I fought this the whole cook. When done, I removed the mid section to burn the remaining coals. By doing this it got hot, warped the back case of the Auber. I had it mounted to my wire cart about 3 foot above and to the side of the smoker. I really didnt think about it. She is sending me a new case for $15. The old one isnt that bad but I want to replace it.

Originally posted by J Hoke:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg Powers:
I have a 22.5" as well, Auber with 6.5cfm fan. I start with a full ring of lump and use a Weber starter cube to light the coals. As soon as the surrounding coal has caught I put it together with just a clay saucer in the foiled pan, Auber set at 250°, on/off mode, top vent 50% and it will take it up to set temp. When the lid comes off it drops the temp and then it will get a spike afterwards, but it usually settles back to set in about 15 minutes.

Are you happy with the Auber? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I plan to get another one.

Originally posted by Dave O'Brien:
Greg-

How do you like the On/Off Mode????....It's the mode i want to use too so I can narrow in the temps better.....any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Not really sure yet, I need to play with it some more to see if it is any better than the factory settings.

Jerry, I still haven't seen where you have tried the Auber without water in the pan. The water is there to hold the temps steady without the Auber. It makes it harder for the Auber to go above 225 (water boils at 212) and makes it harder for the Auber to control the temps. I recommend, if you did an auto-tune, you reset the Auber, and try a smoke without water in the pan...just foil it (I know some use a clay saucer but you don't need it with an ATC) and use the Minion method. Make sure your top vent is open at least 1/2 and unless your Auber is defective, you should be fine.

No, I havent had time to try it again. I keep getting so many different opinions. I dont need a clay pan? I just purchased one today. I'll take it back and get some K. Cant figure out why I need the clay sauser and not the water. A heatsink is a heatsink.

Yes, I have reset the unit back to default. Next cook will be no water, no clay, top vent open 1/2, Auber in PID factory mode.

The heat sink (water or clay saucer) helps temps not change very much. That's beneficial if you are controlling the temps via the vents yourself. On the other hand,you WANT the temps to change on a dime if the ATC decides it wants the temp to go up or down. So, a heat sink is counter productive when using an ATC.

I've had nothing but success with the Auber (and my new Stoker) so I hope you get this working for you too.

Yes, I know all about heatsinks and why you use them. Thats why I dont understand why someone would tell me not to use water, get a clay pot. Why is Auber telling me to use water? Anyways, Im done, I'll post my results of my next cook. Thanks

me too.......lol, i am putting mine on at 4am.....
icon_biggrin.gif

Please keep in mind that both water and the clay saucer are both heat sinks but both behave differently. Water caps off at 212, where there is no cap for the clay saucer. It just controls the temperature a little more for you. The clay saucer works for me, I switched from water when I switched smoking at 225 to 275. It has worked for me and I have had good results with. That is probably why I never overshoot.

Back