Attended my first Competition BBQ

Bill Marshall

TVWBB Member
As the title says, today was my first. Thanks to Chris' post in the Events thread, last month I learned there was a KCBS event within 15 miles of home so I thought "what the heck, why not go and see what happen". The event was the 2nd Annual Elk Grove Western Festival & BBQ Championship. I found Chris and introduced myself. Super nice guy and gave me the run down. (Thanks for the scoop Chris)

As I wandered over to the BBQ area I heard my name called out from a distance. Nobody but family knew I was going to this event so I was a little freaked. Turned out a co-worker, who I knew did comp BBQ in the past is still involved. Talked to her for awhile and guess who was set up right next to her? Slap Yo Daddy. Right there next to my friend. Wow.

It was very interesting watching all the teams and their wide range of setups. Everybody was really friendly. The wafting aroma was outstanding. I stayed long enough to watch teams turn in their chicken and then ribs. I wanted to stay longer and watch the awards ceremony but something came up and left early.

Here's a few pics:

The judges enjoying the spoils, I mean working hard.
bbq%20139.jpg

The Turn-In table.
bbq%20140.jpg

bbq%20141.jpg

bbq%20142.jpg

The team from our local grocery store chain. I think they had the largest "crew" although not sure how many were working and how many were tasting.
bbq%20143.jpg

bbq%20144.jpg

The artwork on some of the banners was impressive.
bbq%20145.jpg

For you "Eggheads"
bbq%20149.jpg

Slap Yo Daddy
bbq%20151.jpg

Co-worker's team
bbq%20152.jpg

All-in-all, a great experience. I you get the chance to attend a competition event, make the time.

I enjoyed meeting you, Bill! Glad you could stop by and check-out your first competition. There's lots going on at the Elk Grove event in addition to barbecue competition...carnival rides, Old West gunfight show, American Idol show, live entertainment, lots of food and crafts, classic car show, and more. It's fun for all!

I meet the starvin marvins team 2 years ago in Santa Anita BBQ comp. those guys know how to party.

Back