Attempting a pizza on the grill.

Tom Rotta

TVWBB Fan
Wife is out at a business dinner while I'm stuck at home working. Decided to try to make a pizza on the grill.

Cooked up some sausage.
DSC00132.jpg

Kept is simple. Sausage and pepperoni.
DSC00133.jpg

Looks done!
DSC00135.jpg

Ready to eat!
DSC00136.jpg

Pizza was good. Probably not as good as it could be. I used pre-made dough and sauce out of a jar. Next time I'll make the dough. Not sure about the sauce. May try something different. Also thought I might have used too may coals at first, but I couldn't get the grill above 325 once I formed a ring and put the pizza stone on. Oh well... it's about learning.

Stuck at home with a hot grill, cold SA and cooking pizza? Looks super to me!! I'd call that an almost perfect night!

Did you set up you coals directly under the stone? For my pies on the kettle take a full lot chimney an spread it around the outer ring of the kettle and set my stone in the middle for indirect heat. A couple mesquite chunks on each side and 20-25 minutes later a beautiful pizza pie :).

Your pizza looks great!

store bought sauce is pretty good, use classico pizza sauce for home made stufff myself but you should try making your own dough. your pie looks quite tasty though!

That looks great. I cook pizza on my gas grill all the time. Sometimes on a metal pan and sometimes right on the rack. Gives it a nice rustic crunch. I've never made my own dough , but homemade sauce and different kinds of cheese or toppings makes it interesting.

Great looking pizza. I use 2 chimneys of lump around the outer edge. Preheat firebrick and the stone and place the bricks on the grate and then put the stone on that. I then use 2 old rotisserie skewers across the bowl and set the lid on that so you have a 1/4" gap then close the top vent so I get a good convection going. This gets my kettle between 600-700f and pizzas cook in 5-8 minutes.

Thanks everyone. I did used 1 full chimney of coals. After the sausage was cooked I spread them out to the outer edges then placed the pizza stone. Cook time on the pizza was about 20 minutes. Maybe that's normal. I just have in my head the temps should have been up above 400 to do it right. Since this was a last minute decision, the dough was crappy Pillsbury in a can. I did use Classico sauce, but couldn't really tell how it was because of the crappy dough choice. But like I said, it's all about learning and getting better. Thanks again for all the complements :)

That's a great looking pie! I like Bob's suggestion, and I will try that some time. Last time I did pizza, I banked the charcoal to one side as I do for most cooks and set the stone to the side. That got the kettle over 400, probably closer to 500. And I just rotated the pizza after 4 or 5 minutes so side nearer charcoal didn't get overdone. Whenever I have tried the ring of charcoal all the way around, I'm not able to get consistent temperature control.

Good looking pizza Tom! I'm sort of where you are - just learning some techniques and trying to get better. I also like Bob's suggestion - I was trying to think of what one could use to provide an even opening all around and the old metal skewers will be perfect! This is such and amazing site!

Keep at it Tom! The other night I just had a pizza slide off the peel and half went onto the patio...stuff happens!

Back