Asking for some help

Bill Hamilton

TVWBB Member
Hi,
Going to do my first smoke in my 22.5 WSM. This thing is huge btw. any way my question is do you guys soak your chunks? Also has anyone ever tried to roll ribs into a circle and skewer them or am i better off laying them flat? There will be 3 racks of spares cut to Stlouis style and the trimmings in the smoker for pulled pork for a smoked mac and chees at some later point. I'm sorry for the long post just trin to nail it or close on the first try .
Thank You
Bill

Bill, I don't soak my wood and on a 22.5" grate you won't have a problem with three racks of St. Louis ribs layed flat. Keep 'em on the top grate if you can so they'll cook a little more evenly, and I generally put most of the trimmings on the bottom grate over the pan, using the door for access. Good luck with it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hamilton:
...and the trimmings in the smoker for pulled pork for a smoked mac and chees at some later point... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_confused.gif
Missed that. Rib tip meat will certainly be nice with some mac and cheese, but I wouldn't call it "pulled pork". Cook 'em too tender and they'll lose much moisture and flavor.

Soaking doesn't do anything. Wood - even chips - does not readily absorb water. Skip it. (For chips use a pouch to make them last.)

Thanx guys and Dave i really meant chopped pork lol i was thinking about 2 hrs on the trimmings. great vid Tim ok well im off to start my ribs will try to post pics later

No comment on any advice above as there's nothing to add. AFA trimmings from St. Louis though as you allude above - to me it's called pulled rib meat
icon_smile.gif

I do this often. AKA if I'm doing 3-4 racks of spares that I trim out to St. Louis I cook it along with the racks of course checking for tender on them as I do the ribs.

IOW cook the trimmings the same. If there are 1-2 racks worth, forget it as they just get eaten ad I can't keep folks away from them.

If you foil, foil them too keeping them separate and check them for done individually from the racks.

If you can keep yourself or friends from eating the trimmings (hard to do if you are or are in the company of "bone pickers") then set them aside till they cool down a little I.E., tent/foil them for awhile and then pull the meat from all the trimmings. Chopping parts like the skirt/flap that sometimes dries out more or just eat that part while it's hot
icon_smile.gif

I've saved this pulled rib meat for pulled rib sandwiches and have also taken it and added it to pulled pork with great results.

Sometimes I save the pulled rib meat in vac seal until I have enough to build sandwiches or mix with butt.

One of the reasons I like spares better than baby backs, even loin backs. You have this option for trimmings that's a bonus to me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Soaking doesn't do anything. Wood - even chips - does not readily absorb water. Skip it. (For chips use a pouch to make them last.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Soaking wood chips for 30-45 minutes makes a big difference when using them directly on the coals for grilling steaks and things. Mind you I usually have a bowl of water with some chips in it by the kettle all the time. They could have soaked for up to a week.

OK guys thanks for all the info ribs came out pretty good and the trimmings were very good had to vac pack as soon as i could cause my son and i would have destroyed them thanks again everyone
-Bill

Bill,

Just saw your post. I have rolled ribs and done them flat, but my personal preference is to cut them in half and use a rib rack to hold them up. I can get more ribs on the top grate that way.

Ray

If using chunks of wood it is not necessary to soak. If you are using chips I like to soak them so they do not burn up so fast. You can put them in a foil pouch dry or wet (the chips) and put small holes in the foil if ya want but to me this uses too much foil. Just soak em in a bowl and throw some on a couple times early in the process is easiest..

No don't soak the wood chunks! Not necessary and your adding a wet product to a hot fire. Could affect temp. Wouldn't really know cause I've never soaked my wood. My head yes! Wood, never!

Back