Asian Grill and 'Cue

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
We were asked by my wife's cousin to cook her wedding rehearsal dinner party at her mom and dad's house. When we discussed what we'd cook, she was good with us cooking some of out favorites from the Momofuku book. We were just back from a trip to NYC and were excited about Fatty 'Cue, so we thought we could mix in some Fatty Crab/'Cue recipes as well. And to make sure we'd go completely nuts, we figured we'd mix in some other recipes too. When the menu was complete, dinner was to be 20 different things!

As you can imagine, I was shopping and cooking for most of the week. My sous vide tank was running from sunday to thursday.

This is a shot of some amazing pork belly from a local Gloucester old spot pig, brining for a Fatty dish
IMG_1506.JPG

On thursday, I smoked some spares for another Fatty dish
IMG_1596.JPG

Friday (the 13th), things were looking good. We had completed all but one task, we were on time and my wife was getting cleaned up so we could get over to the house 2 hours early. All I had to do was shred some green papaya...
IMG_20120713_163733.jpg

I sliced a small bit off my thumb and couldn't stop the bleeding. We went to Immediacare and pretty much lost all our set up time. We went into turbo mode and had to crank stuff out. Luckily, some family members were big time foodies and didn't mind adopting a dish and getting it served. I didn't get pics of the early dishes because of the time crunch, and we ran out of time and didn't end up serving a couple of dishes. So, a few of the early/late shots are from other meals.

Dish #1(photo from practice run): Salted, Oil Cured Chiles and Farmer's Cheese (Fatty)
IMG_9043.JPG

Dish #2(photo from practice run): Yuzu Crab Salad Tea Sandwich (Fatty)
IMG_5984.JPG

Dish #3(no photo): Cold Sesame Asparagus

Dish #4: Chicken Yakitori
IMG_1615.JPG

Dish #5(no photo): Shrimp Toast

Dish #6: Sweet Potato Fritters with Sweet Chile Sauce
IMG_1618.JPG

IMG_1617.JPG

Dish #7: Shrimp Satay
IMG_1621.JPG

IMG_1619.JPG

Dish #8: Tomato and Tofu "Caprese" (Momofuku)
IMG_1620.JPG

Dish #9: Glazed Asian Meatballs (Adam Perry Lang)
IMG_1623.JPG

IMG_1624.JPG

Dish #10: Soba in Cucumber Cup
IMG_2115.JPG

Dish #11: Smoked Ribs with Fish Sauce and Palm Sugar Syrup (Fatty)
IMG_1625.JPG

Dish #12(no photo): Mandu Dumplings

Dish #13(photo from practice run): Miso Bacon Pork Buns (Momofuku)
IMG_7868.JPG

Dish #14(no photo): Steamed Pearl Meatballs

Dish #15: Roasted Corn with Miso Butter, Bacon, and Roasted Onion (Momofuku)
IMG_1629.JPG

Dish #16: 48 hr Short Ribs (Momofuku)
IMG_1633.JPG

I ran out of light outside and it was tough to shoot the short rib inside, so I photographed these the next day from the left overs:

Dish #17: Vietnamese Spring Rolls
IMG_1638.JPG

IMG_2112.JPG

Dish #18: Crispy Pork and Watermelon Salad (Fatty)
IMG_1642.JPG

We didn't end up making/serving the Green Papaya Salad (we figured it was cursed), or Laab (ground pork lettuce wraps)

phew...constructing this post was harder than cooking the actual meal!

Amazing, Jeff. Hard enough to make one dish that looks so good, let alone 15 ot 20.

Sorry about the finger.

Wow amazing photos and food! Its 6am here and I just choked on my coffee and have the sudden urge to grill Asian! Sorry about the thumb but didn't seem to affect your presentation And cooking!

Nice nice nice!

Stunning Cooks AND Stunning Shots! I really like how you shoot with Shallow DOF to concentrate the eye on the main feature. Excellent!

Originally posted by Rob M:
Stunning Cooks AND Stunning Shots! I really like how you shoot with Shallow DOF to concentrate the eye on the main feature. Excellent!
yeah, what rob said!

Thank you for the inspiration. I have not cooked much recently due to health problems, but I've bought the momofuku book.
I think I will have to give some of the recipes a try, but I'm struggling to find many of the ingredients here in Norway.

Miso is not possible to get my hands on, as an example, only instant miso soup.

If this is the rehearsal dinner I would not want to be the guy cooking for the wedding. Outstanding
icon_smile.gif

thanks everyone!

I really like how you shoot with Shallow DOF to concentrate the eye on the main feature. Excellent!

my 55mm and 80mm lens with f1.8 changed my life. I've used cameras all my life and never had a lens with anything below f4 until this year.

Thank you for the inspiration. I have not cooked much recently due to health problems, but I've bought the momofuku book.
I think I will have to give some of the recipes a try, but I'm struggling to find many of the ingredients here in Norway

you should be able to find everything you need for the ginger scallion noodles. Start there. It might take few tries to dial it in, but it's simple and awesome.

I think it's safe to say that if I was your neighbor, you'd never have to worry about leftovers. I would have loved to try everything on this post. Bravo!
So sorry about the thumb injury -- heal quickly.
I keep trying to get to FattyCue/Crab and Momofuku. Will get there some day. Had Thai dinner at a little place in Hoboken yesterday. Their green papaya salad was pretty good (refreshing on a hot day).
Keep up the good work Jeff.

your photos are excellent, Jeff!

butt what's with the:
Dish #3(no photo):
Dish #5(no photo):
Dish #12(no photo):
Dish #14(no photo):
Dish #19(no photo):
Dish #20(no photo):
Dish #101(no photo):
Dish.. blah blah
icon_biggrin.gif

Awesome Jeff! Just givin' ya some bs! Good Stuff dude!

Did you make the buns or buy them?

bought them. IMO, they aren't something that is all that better when you make them yourself. In fact Noodle Bar doesn;t even make them themselves, they buy them.

butt what's with the:
Dish #3(no photo):
Dish #5(no photo):
Dish #12(no photo):
Dish #14(no photo):
Dish #19(no photo):
Dish #20(no photo):
Dish #101(no photo):
Dish.. blah blah Big Grin

those dishes got eaten while I was on a beer break
icon_biggrin.gif

Back