Asian Grill and 'Cue

Excellent "reference" meal and photos. Thanks!

I have steam bun dough in the freezer as I don't cook a whole recipe. So not too hard to make them up.

Store bought/frozen are fine for sure though.

Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What camera(s) do you use?

canon t2i with a 55mm f1.8 lens </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must not be the Canon Nifty Fifty then. Still awesome shots!

Jeff,

I'm always amazed with your food, but I'm even more amazed that you're doing all of this with just a 50mm lens. Our new camera has an 18-55 and a 55-200 and I'm constantly changing zoom on the small lens while shooting pics for my posts on here. We're both definitely novices with having a real camera, but I guess the flip side is that a fixed lens is easily overcome with "human zoom"? Or do you do a lot of cropping after the fact?

I'm always amazed with your food, but I'm even more amazed that you're doing all of this with just a 50mm lens. Our new camera has an 18-55 and a 55-200 and I'm constantly changing zoom on the small lens while shooting pics for my posts on here. We're both definitely novices with having a real camera, but I guess the flip side is that a fixed lens is easily overcome with "human zoom"? Or do you do a lot of cropping after the fact?

I do very little cropping. Occasionally I will, but mostly to remove something on the very edge that was picked up by the sensor but not by the viewfinder (the viewfinder crops the shot a little).

I've never used prime lenses before, but I think their short comings are overshadowed by the features at their price point. I also read an interesting article about prime lenses that described shooting as a series of choices (shutter speed, aperture, iso, composition, etc) and limiting some of your choices isn't always a bad thing in terms of creativity. A prime lens removes one of the choices and lets you focus on other things.

When shooting food, I don't think I'd ever go below 50mm, but the key is having a short focal length that will allow you to fill the frame with food. My 85mm makes me back up too much and cancels out the increased magnification. My dream lens would be something around 50mm, super fast (f2), macro, and image stabilization.

here's a good article on grill photography that I just read today

Originally posted by j biesinger:

I do very little cropping. Occasionally I will, but mostly to remove something on the very edge that was picked up by the sensor but not by the viewfinder (the viewfinder crops the shot a little).

I've never used prime lenses before, but I think their short comings are overshadowed by the features at their price point. I also read an interesting article about prime lenses that described shooting as a series of choices (shutter speed, aperture, iso, composition, etc) and limiting some of your choices isn't always a bad thing in terms of creativity. A prime lens removes one of the choices and lets you focus on other things.

When shooting food, I don't think I'd ever go below 50mm, but the key is having a short focal length that will allow you to fill the frame with food. My 85mm makes me back up too much and cancels out the increased magnification. My dream lens would be something around 50mm, super fast (f2), macro, and image stabilization.

here's a good article on grill photography that I just read today

That is a good article - maybe required reading for this section. Angles are the hardest thing to figure out, and sometimes you end up with a completely flat plated pic of what was really a gorgeous dish. At least I do.

I guess I always thought of a prime lens as a portrait lens or a snapshot lens, but that is kind of what we're doing here.

Angles are the hardest thing to figure out, and sometimes you end up with a completely flat plated pic of what was really a gorgeous dish. At least I do.

try to stack up the food as much as possible, and shoot from a side angle. I never thought much about it, but it's what I do most of the time.

It's funny that most people kind of shoot their plate from the perspective of the eater. Like you are sitting down to eat, and before you do, you hold a camera up to your face. Meanwhile, I'm closer to table level. It doesn't make much sense that a lower angle would look more appetizing.

Hmm, so was looking to add some APL books to my library. "Serious Barbecue" seems to be a collectors item
icon_smile.gif
Can't find one reasonable.

I've heard of pickled tongue but never pickled thumb! Your cooking inspires me, your photography makes me hungry and I want to know where you were when I lived in Buffalo. We would have gotten along famously Thanks for all the motivation.

Back