Ash tray for 22.5

John Zell

TVWBB Member
Hi folks,

I have a 22" Kettle that I added a Smoke EZ to convert to a bullet. I added my own 3 vents to the lower bowl. I close the standard "slit" vents and use my added 3 vents.

The standard ash tray for a kettle is inside of the location of my 3 vents. So I get "some" ash falling outside of the tray.

Seems like the ash tray diameter of a 22" WSM is larger than an ash tray for a 22" kettle. Am I right?

Where can I buy an ash tray that is larger in diameter?

HELP !

and of course thanks,

jz

I'm not really sure I understand your question.

The "slit" vents are part of the One Touch Cleaning system on the newer kettles. You move the handle back and forth to sweep the ash built up into the "slits" and it falls out of the kettle onto an ash pan hanging on the legs. If it is a One Touch Gold, it has a "ash can" to collect the ashes.

The only kettle grill I have seen with an internal ash pan is a "Happy Cooker" almost identical to a Weber kettle, but slight differences.

The One Touch System works great, no need to add any vents of your own.

Also the WSM has no ash pan or a One Touch System, the ashes fall through the grate and collect into the bottom of the bowl. To remove them after a cook you have to shovel them out or just pick the bottom section up and dump it.

There is a heat shield on the outside of the WSM in between the legs that protects the deck, ground, etc. from burning. It does not collect ash. I would still put something under the legs of a WSM on a wooden deck to protect more.

The heat shield for the 22.5" WSM is 15". You could find a SS or aluminum pan/bowl of similar or larger size.

Tim

Like others have mentioned, the "ash tray" you think you see on the WSM is not an ash tray at all, it is a heat shield to protect the surface that the smoker sits on sits it is low to the ground. Ash just collects in the bottom of the bowl, the vents are higher up the side so they don't plug up with ash. For your ash pan you might try purchasing a small metal bucket and putting it on your ash tray, adjusting the ash tray's height as necessary. The bucket will get closer to the vent holes and it will be less likely for ash to fall out.

I would just get a Walmart automobile drip tray and put the WSM (or in this case, a converted grill) on it to protect the deck. The price is quite reasonable and it does the job just fine. Here, you can see the covered WSM on the tray in the background:

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back