Article: Class of '85 - The Creators of the Genesis

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a great article posted on the Weber.com blog about the creators of the Weber Genesis gas grill and the effort that went into the product, which celebrates its 30th anniversary in 2015.

CLASS OF´85: THE CREATORS OF THE GENESIS

551aa7005c321_3%20guys%20around%20grill_zpstersf3ez.jpg

The year was 1982, and they knew it was time for action. All three could sense that they could not afford to miss this wave – whatever it cost. The only option was to start again from scratch – turning the company’s world view upside down and doing what no one else had succeeded in doing. They faced an enormous challenge – but they had done it before, so why not again?

Three work colleagues have gathered at Weber’s restaurant in Schaumburg, near the outskirts of Chicago.

_66A9817%201_Interview_credit_Claus_Peuckert_zpsdgnajjcf.jpg

The invention of the Genesis was lead by engineer Erich Schlosser (left), Mike Kempster (middle) and Jim Stephen (right) who at that time were National Sales Manager and Gas Sales Manager, respectively.

But they have also been friends for many years. Each carries memories from 30-40 years of service to the barbecue – impressions and experiences which bind them together with an invisible bond. It is a gathering of legends’ when names like Jim Stephen, the son of Weber’s founder, Mike Kempster, who’s Executive Vice President of Weber and Senior Project Engineer Erich Schlosser meet – three men who reinvented barbecuing precisely 30 years ago through a watershed invention. A feat no one had foreseen, and which they had hardly dared to believe possible.

Read the full article on Weber.com

Last edited:
Now I appreciate my 96 Genesis even more. Could something like that even happen today? I don't know. Thanks for posting that Chris.

The Genesis is a fine line of BBQ's, these guys rock. I'd like to offer up a "thanks for nothing" to the guys behind the "Q series" (hope my wife don't read this, she's the one who bought me my "Q's")

Great article Chris, thanks for posting.

I found this paragraph, for us mainly charcoal users, very interesting.
it took place in George's office:

“There’s this story which I love … We had pretty much sorted the Genesis out – we were sitting in his office, he was reading, had a cigarette going, had his glasses on and he looked over at me and said ‘Jimmy, we need to see if you can do something with my charcoal barbecue so it doesn’t get overshadowed by this gas barbecue’. And I said ‘Funny, you should say that, Dad. Come with me’. So I took him back to the R&D lab where Erich had already been working on this. Erich had this crazy idea to see if we could come up with a gas lighter for a charcoal barbecue. So at that point we actually presented to Dad the prototype of the Performer. We showed him it, lit it – he got this big grin on his face and he said ‘I like that’ – and I was so happy. It’s the first and only time I ever got out-of-head with Dad in my life - we’d thought of everything, and even exceeded his expectations with our solution.”

The Genesis is a fine line of BBQ's, these guys rock. I'd like to offer up a "thanks for nothing" to the guys behind the "Q series" (hope my wife don't read this, she's the one who bought me my "Q's")

Not sure why the bad talk about "Q" series they are a GREAT line of grills. Love mine (Q200 and a Q140 electric).

Not sure why the bad talk about "Q" series they are a GREAT line of grills. Love mine (Q200 and a Q140 electric).

I have a Q200, and cooking on it is a little anemic compared to other grills. It works for sure, but I'd rather be cooking on my Genesis (or my Big Steel Keg).

Back