Argh (doh!)... False start on my 1993 Genesis 2000 (redhead)

Don’t forget to check out Nextdoor when doing your rounds online. This looks to be in sweet condition and even has the original manual
That one looks pretty nice and like it maybe has the black durawood slats that I want so much!

Jon, I do think it has the black durawood. My guess is that is what makes it a Genesis1300.

Update: Heard back from that Genesis 1300 on Nextdoor. Unfortunately it was sold a few weeks ago, she may not have updated/removed her post correctly. Otherwise I had prepared to swing by for it.

And Jon - I would've been happy to part out the durawood slats for you. Replacing with some cedar would've been a neat future project for myself. Although this whole thing is supposed to be about making myself one keeper, I can see how the Weber bug can hit you. This illness is a slippery slope!

That's so nice, Jason! My wife would have loved it if I had gotten a delivery of MORE grill parts :sneaky: .

Well, all I - and others here - can tell you is that Weberitis is easy to catch in a severe form and can take you a long ways from where you thought you would stop!

I was pretty sure that my Weberitis was in check until I found a “Simpson’s” Smokey Joe for what struck me as a reasonable price, I made the deal then, realized it was about a three and a half round trip to pick it up but. The deal was struck.
It turned out to be a nice day for the drive anyway.
It may go into remission but, I doubt that it is ever “cured”.

I was pretty sure that my Weberitis was in check until I found a “Simpson’s” Smokey Joe for what struck me as a reasonable price, I made the deal then, realized it was about a three and a half round trip to pick it up but. The deal was struck.
It turned out to be a nice day for the drive anyway.
It may go into remission but, I doubt that it is ever “cured”.
I am trying to temper mine with time. My wife and I did 2 hour RT to pick up an old silver I had book marked in Williamsburg VA. It was a free grill and I gave it a week for someone else to get it first. After a week I figure it is headed for the trash, so my wife and I made a day out of it. We brought the dog, checked out William and Mary College, the town, had dinner, and came home. Hopeful that maybe the eventual sale of the grill may cover dinner and the trip.

Update: Heard back from that Genesis 1300 on Nextdoor. Unfortunately it was sold a few weeks ago, she may not have updated/removed her post correctly. Otherwise I had prepared to swing by for it.

And Jon - I would've been happy to part out the durawood slats for you. Replacing with some cedar would've been a neat future project for myself. Although this whole thing is supposed to be about making myself one keeper, I can see how the Weber bug can hit you. This illness is a slippery slope!
I'm about an hour away in Carlton, if you can't find a solution for your lid I have a couple extra.

Here’s another sweet one nearby, jason

https://offerup.co/nr343unRXfb
Yes!!! I saw that too, thanks Sean! I picked it up and brought it home yesterday!

Just like when I bought the first one that started this, it is so interesting to meet and hear the story of the grill. The seller is moving cross country and can't take it with him. The only reason he's even kept it this long is because it belonged to his late grandfather. He was thrilled that I wanted it, and said it meant a lot to him. He didn't want this going to the landfill!

First things first, looked over it quickly. Amazingly, serial # is the same "KL2", matching my other one! Another 1993 Genesis 2000 red! What are the chances?

The good: the lid and end caps, firebox, and frame look to be nicer than on my first one.
The not-as-good: Panel has a cut out of it for some reason. The middle burner is stuck On-Medium, knob won't budge, supposedly it lights (I can take it apart and see what's going on).

This makes a terrific donor grill, I can pick and choose what I like between the two grills. But by itself, it's not too far off from being a terrific grill on its own either, and I can see how this whole Weber-thing is just a big set of dominoes. I cannot believe this is the situation I'm in now, this Weberitis is a terrible thing, and it's this forum that did it to me. I also can't believe beautiful wife isn't more angry that there are two of these things in the garage now (I made some really good excuses).

Few questions/thoughts...
- Use as donor and store for parts, or try to restore as second grill?
- If I have to scrap that manifold, it might be an opportunity to convert the second one to NG. Is that easy to do?
- On both grills, you can see how the bolt holding the firebox really rusts and jams into the frame. Do folks consider using a washer there? Or if there's already a washer in there, maybe a larger one?
- I might still be in the market for that left end cap. Thanks to the generosity here, there are options I can follow up with if so.

Attachments

• IMG_9199.JPG
    IMG_9199.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9198.JPG
    IMG_9198.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9197.JPG
    IMG_9197.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9196.JPG
    IMG_9196.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 13
I would use the better as my restore not a donor. The one with history is the better. Always good when they have history

Yes!!! I saw that too, thanks Sean! I picked it up and brought it home yesterday!

Just like when I bought the first one that started this, it is so interesting to meet and hear the story of the grill. The seller is moving cross country and can't take it with him. The only reason he's even kept it this long is because it belonged to his late grandfather. He was thrilled that I wanted it, and said it meant a lot to him. He didn't want this going to the landfill!

First things first, looked over it quickly. Amazingly, serial # is the same "KL2", matching my other one! Another 1993 Genesis 2000 red! What are the chances?

The good: the lid and end caps, firebox, and frame look to be nicer than on my first one.
The not-as-good: Panel has a cut out of it for some reason. The middle burner is stuck On-Medium, knob won't budge, supposedly it lights (I can take it apart and see what's going on).

This makes a terrific donor grill, I can pick and choose what I like between the two grills. But by itself, it's not too far off from being a terrific grill on its own either, and I can see how this whole Weber-thing is just a big set of dominoes. I cannot believe this is the situation I'm in now, this Weberitis is a terrible thing, and it's this forum that did it to me. I also can't believe beautiful wife isn't more angry that there are two of these things in the garage now (I made some really good excuses).

Few questions/thoughts...
- Use as donor and store for parts, or try to restore as second grill?
- If I have to scrap that manifold, it might be an opportunity to convert the second one to NG. Is that easy to do?
- On both grills, you can see how the bolt holding the firebox really rusts and jams into the frame. Do folks consider using a washer there? Or if there's already a washer in there, maybe a larger one?
- I might still be in the market for that left end cap. Thanks to the generosity here, there are options I can follow up with if so.
I personally restore them all. Everyone around here has parts. I think even I have a spare control panel and may even have a set of NG valves coming up soon.

Yah, as long as one valve is shot and you want to convert to NG, it would be a good time to find a completely new NG manifold.

Accomplished:
- Logo/emblem done. In retrospect, I could've cleaned more with a wire brush, before painting and sanding, but it will do.
- Lid is looking nice. 4 fresh razor blades, 0000 steel wool and simple green. Has some imperfections, but I can live with it.
- End caps. Heavy scrape and sanding on interior, might still wire brush some spots. Very light sanding on exterior.

Questions:
- The two small holes in the back-bottom of the lid. Will that affect function? If not, I'm content leaving it be. Aesthetically I don't anticipate it will be very noticeable, and don't care too much as long as I'm not losing heat or something.
- Painting exterior of end caps. I've seen it mentioned here that painting end caps that are partially stripped will look bad, and it has to be stripped entirely. Is that mainly or only if it's stripped to bare metal? Running my fingers over it, it feels pretty consistent from a texture standpoint. I think generally the texture/coating is there, just places where the paint doesn't show and should be fine to paint. Or am I fooling myself, and just being lazy?
- Taping off the interior of end caps. Where exactly do you tape? I assume you paint anything that shows from the outside, including that exterior edge. And you're taping off the inside including the part that ends up being against the lid, stopping short of that outside edge?

Attachments

• IMG_9218.JPG
    IMG_9218.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9219.JPG
    IMG_9219.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9220.JPG
    IMG_9220.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9221.JPG
    IMG_9221.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9225.JPG
    IMG_9225.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9222.JPG
    IMG_9222.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9223.JPG
    IMG_9223.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9224.JPG
    IMG_9224.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 11
Tape off the end caps a little inside of the edge. A little paint inside the end cap is no big deal.

Back