Argh (doh!)... False start on my 1993 Genesis 2000 (redhead)

Jason P C

Hi all - Long-time lurker and big-time fan. Been slowly drooling over everyone's restorations and gathering info. I finally found and pulled the trigger on an old Genesis for keeps. Serial # is KL2 1392, which this forum has helped me figure out is a 1993 Genesis 2000.

The ad looked great, felt great in person, got it home and started getting supplies/parts. Excitement building... Last night was my first time really getting hands onto it. First thing was to remove the lid, and I started noticing something strange on the tab of the left-end cap where it's held to the firebox with the clevis pin. Someone previous had performed a repair, drilled some holes and bolted an extra small metal plate to hold it together. They had actually drilled into the lid. As I took the lid off, it all just came apart. I don't even know how it was held together! It's a wonder it stood up for however long it's been there.

Needless to say, this happening in the first 10 minutes was discouraging. Is this a non-starter? I just tried calling Weber, and they don't have any of these end caps. Am I stuck looking for a donor now? Is there any possible fix? I can't imagine any epoxy would hold up. Getting someone to weld it? I feel stuck and hesitant to move forward, as this seems a deal-breaker. All help and guidance is appreciated! Thank you!

(Also, smaller thing I noticed, on the right end cap an extra bolt where the thermometer goes. Is that normal? What is it for?)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-29 003812.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-04-29 003812.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9177.JPG
    IMG_9177.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9178.JPG
    IMG_9178.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9179.JPG
    IMG_9179.JPG
    244.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9176.JPG
    IMG_9176.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9181.JPG
    IMG_9181.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9180.JPG
    IMG_9180.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 43
I have the same bolt on my thermometer spot. Sounds like you just need a new end cap. I am sure someone around here has an extra. How did you get the end caps off. I tried on mine and the headless bolt just spun so I thought about it and gave up. Don't despair it looks like a very nice grill.

I have the same bolt on my thermometer spot. Sounds like you just need a new end cap. I am sure someone around here has an extra. How did you get the end caps off. I tried on mine and the headless bolt just spun so I thought about it and gave up. Don't despair it looks like a very nice grill.
Thanks Joe. Funny you ask about the end cap bolts, I haven't otherwise come across these before, so was feeling a bit clumsy about it. I used a pair of thin needle-nose pliers to dig against the bolt head and it gave me enough leverage, they were all quite loose so came off easily (I may have gotten lucky) and I didn't give it a second thought.

Attachments

• IMG_9183.JPG
    IMG_9183.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 16
Hang in there, there are lots of sources of parts here on the forum. Like Joe said if it's just an end cap I'm sure some one will come to the rescue.
The bolt on the thermometer housing is just to hold it to the end cap. The thermometer is designed to come out and can be used to check the temps of what you're cooking, although I don't know anyone who uses it for that purpose. If you do try it make sure you have some gloves or a mitt as that thermometer will be screaming hot.
Once you get the end cap you should be on your way to having a great grill as it looks in pretty good shape already.

Jason, there are a ton of grills out there with end caps that will fit your grill lid. Otherwise, just swap in an entirely new lid. Just about any lid from 1985 to the early 2000's will fit that grill.

Pay attention to what guys like Jon Tofte, Bruce, and Rich as well as others have to say and don’t get too discouraged. Some days things seem to go sideways but, given a little time, the project will be well worth the effort.
Look for a donor grill with solid end caps you will be fine! The parts can be found, you need to just learn to take your time (I’m not good at that at all with a dumpster full of scrap to prove it!) and let de greasers do their job.
You have a very desirable grill there, treat it right it will give you feasting for many years!

Jason, Is this the one you need? I'm in Indianapolis and if you are close you can have it free. Oop,,, just saw you are in Portland Or. If you don't find one close I can ship this next week. Just pay the shipping and it's yours.

Attachments

• left side grill part.jpg
    left side grill part.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 13
See, that’s what I mean! This community will watch out for each other!
There is a donor grill within ten miles, just be patient.
Trust me.
I’m going to be disassembling a “Silver B” pretty shortly, my first attempt at a rehab that wasn’t really worth the effort. Almost totally blown firebox, but the blue hood is clean! I’m going to break it down and stock the useable parts for another day or when I find someone that needs parts within reasonable shipping distance...(read “near the butcher”)
You will find everything you need in its own good time.

Last edited:
Jason, there are a ton of grills out there with end caps that will fit your grill lid. Otherwise, just swap in an entirely new lid. Just about any lid from 1985 to the early 2000's will fit that grill.
Thanks Bruce and everyone for the encouragement. I hadn't realized these lids and end caps are so universal (i.e., interchangeable). That's great news and should make it easy to replace. This will barely be a hiccup.

Jason, Is this the one you need? I'm in Indianapolis and if you are close you can have it free. Oop,,, just saw you are in Portland Or. If you don't find one close I can ship this next week. Just pay the shipping and it's yours.
Hi Tim - This is extremely generous of you. I don't want to put you out right off the bat. Maybe I take a day or two to scrub local listings for a good donor situation. If I'm unsuccessful, at least I'll feel like I did some share of homework before troubling you to ship. And I'd be happy to reimburse your cost, and a little extra for a few beverages of your choice.

As far as loosening the side bolts? Spin them off with a cordless impact. they come off pretty easy that way
Thanks Bruce and everyone for the encouragement. I hadn't realized these lids and end caps are so universal (i.e., interchangeable). That's great news and should make it easy to replace. This will barely be a hiccup.

Hi Tim - This is extremely generous of you. I don't want to put you out right off the bat. Maybe I take a day or two to scrub local listings for a good donor situation. If I'm unsuccessful, at least I'll feel like I did some share of homework before troubling you to ship. And I'd be happy to reimburse your cost, and a little extra for a few beverages of your choice.
Well You are 4 years late on the beverages. But thanks. I do know the frustration of the broken side panels as the right side one was used for a broken one on the grill I posted pictures of here a couple weeks ago. The one I have isn't going anywhere so I'll check back every so often. Have fun with the new grill.

Tim

I'm no expert on aluminum, but it sure is versatile. These castings have been documented to shatter when provoked, especially after age. Yet, I've got a few mountain bikes going strong. Alloys are amazing. Same applies to steel. Forged vs. cast. I have a lot to learn.

Yes, they are very different. It has something to do with how the molecules align when the "cast" or molten aluminum solidifies.

Jason, glad to see a local person on here! I’m out in Oregon City. I’ll keep an eye out...
Don’t forget to check out Nextdoor when doing your rounds online. This looks to be in sweet condition and even has the original manual

Nextdoor.com is only good if you live in a densely populated area. There is nothing in my area.

I dislike the format of Nextdoor, but my wife is on there quite a bit. She came across a free red head, and RECOMENDED it to me! (only cause she knew I wanted a redhead).

Otherwise, I haven't had much luck with Nextdoor.

See, that’s what I mean! This community will watch out for each other!
There is a donor grill within ten miles, just be patient.
Agree, this is a super collaborative and cooperative place, definitely something special going on here!
Don’t forget to check out Nextdoor when doing your rounds online. This looks to be in sweet condition and even has the original manual
Thanks Sean. That's a nice find! I certainly may try to motivate for it this weekend. Problem is my time (and space) constraints, this is something I have to chip away at a little bit at a time.

Generally agree that these Nextdoor/OfferUp/Craigslist experiences can be a mixed bag. It really comes down to the individual that you're dealing with on a case-by-case basis, and using subtle clues from the ad to assess whether it's a situation you want to deal with and worth your time.

I'm happy to hear the need for patience. I'm realizing these things really do pop up, and with the lids being so interchangeable it really will be no problem. Also, I remember folks saying the days around Memorial Day can be fruitful, and that's right around the corner.

I will continue my little journey to clean up this grill, I'm really not starting from a bad place. Due to limitations on my time and space, I don't think I'll be just taking the whole thing apart and spreading out for the full process. It will be more piece-by-piece... e.g., tackle the lid, get it done, put it aside, next... these little victories will keep me motivated and fit into my schedule a bit better. It also fits into the linear way my brain seems to work better, haha. And I may post photos along the way to stay honest and get feedback and motivation. Thanks everyone!

Back