Are You A Leg (Wo)Man Or A .. Umm ..

Bill Hays

TVWBB Platinum Member
LOL Well, I'm a leg man ~ Always have been and that's turned out to be a plus for me since pretty much everyone else in my family loves white meat. More for me!
icon_smile.gif
Anywho, I had 11 chicken legs left over from a cook earlier in the week that I had to do something with soooooo ... I'm breaking in a new leg/wing rack (bought 2). Kingsford for fuel, 2 apple chunks for smoke, Grill Mates "Montreal Chicken: for seasoning and no Bill's on cable because of a $$$ dispute between WIVB (local channel) and Time Warner!!
icon_mad.gif
icon_mad.gif
(I let them know how I feel !!
icon_biggrin.gif
) Beer's flowin' and I hope to take some pics of the finished product. This rack is a perfect fit in the WSM, BTW.
icon_smile.gif

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I'm a butt man myself, I know this is a chicken thread (not pork) but I had to....
icon_wink.gif
I also love the legs, dark meat all the way. That is a nifty rack you got there! Could you post a link to where you found it? Oh and McCormics Montreal Chicken is some great stuff, their turkey rub is pretty darn good too. IMO there is never enough legs, that looks like a fantastic feast, how many do you think you can eat?

wsmsmile8gm.gif

Brandon

We're on the same wavelength.
icon_biggrin.gif
I bought 2 of these. I know they can be had for less, butt... They work well.

When the legs hit 140º, I turned the old Guru (using my original with 4 CFM blower) up from 235 to 350º to crisp the skin up a bit and it's taking forever to get there. THIS is why I love the 10CFM blower!
icon_cool.gif

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

They're done! WSM finally hit 335º as the legs hit 168º so I pulled them. Here's a couple pics prior to resting .. I'm Hongry!
icon_cool.gif

Bill

Bill, those look fantastic! Oh my! With two racks you could feed alot of people. Ten dollars a rack is pretty reasonable, I think I'll order one, atleast. How did your skin turn out? Maybe if I'm a good boy santa will bring me a guru for christmas. Nice camera btw.

Brandon

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:
Bill, those look fantastic! Oh my! With two racks you could feed alot of people. Ten dollars a rack is pretty reasonable, I think I'll order one, atleast. How did your skin turn out? Maybe if I'm a good boy santa will bring me a guru for christmas. Nice camera btw.

Brandon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not even bite-thru, on the skin .. Sucked. Chicken was good though. I saw some collapsable racks at Lowes for $5 and some change after I ordered these but I think they were nickle plated, not stainless. Good space saver though.. I agree, less than 10 bucks each with reasonable shipping wasn't bad. When you sit on Santa's lap, tell him you want the 10 cfm blower .. Much more versatile.
icon_wink.gif
Camera is a Canon 30D (digital slr).

Bill

EDIT: On your earlier question, I've eaten a whole chicken (roaster) in the past but I was much younger then. I could easily eat 6 of these legs with a couple sides though
icon_wink.gif

I like the inside of the thigh!
icon_smile.gif

Isn't it bad luck to 'que up 13 of anything? *gd&r*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Not even bite-thru, on the skin .. Sucked. Chicken was good though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If you can goof up chicken skin, then I don't feel too bad now. Thanks Bill.
icon_wink.gif

Glad the meat was good.

Next time I do chicken, I think I'm going to finish it on a kettle.

Steve,

The ACE hardware by me (Campbell/San Thomas Aquino for those in South Bay) has one in stock and I pondered over it, but see more value in another rib rack, so haven't got it. They have that exact same one in stock, and there is only 1 piece to the set. That must be a misprint. But ACE gets $15 for it, as I recall.

One of the big reasons I haven't picked it up is that it looks more convenient for legs, and I do wings mostly between the two.

I like this style better than the one that BBQ Galore carries though, if I was gonna get one. You can fit a lot of legs on a grill laying down though. Where it would be useful is if you are cooking a variety of food and need the grill space for something lese, like ribs possibly. Still, could be useful.

All of our mileage varies...
icon_smile.gif

Bill, I find that if the skin gets too tough, sauce 'em a bit earlier before it gets that way.

I picked up 2 of those on clearance at Ace 2 yrs ago. Model#0770-KD nickel plated and the legs fold for storage. Both racks fit on the top grate in the WSM.
I also use them with toothpicks to hang slices of meat for jerky.
Nice pics
Tim

God did good when he/she made a woman. Thats all I`ll say about that.

When it comes to chicken... legs.
When it come to a hog... ribs.
Beef... tough to beat a porterhouse.

Well, what do you know .. There ARE 13 legs on there!
icon_rolleyes.gif
I had 13 beers yesterday, does that mean anything? LOL (kidding).

Ken, I was trying to avoid the kettle or gasser by ramping the temp up with the Guru but waited too long. Next time, I'll start a little earlier and use the 10 cfm blower.

Steve, it's just the one piece. I saw this same rack in a couple different places and they all say the same thing..
icon_confused.gif

Alan, didn't sauce these but that's a good tip ~ Thanks!
icon_smile.gif

Thanks everyone!
icon_cool.gif

Bill

Bill,

13 can be lucky also...I was just pulling your leg...
icon_razz.gif

The saucing was from experience. It's easy to let the skin get too tough, the higher the heat the more likely possibly, not sure. Low heat will do it also...DAMHIKT.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alan D:
Bill,

13 can be lucky also...I was just pulling your leg...
icon_razz.gif

The saucing was from experience. It's easy to let the skin get too tough, the higher the heat the more likely possibly, not sure. Low heat will do it also...DAMHIKT.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE> I knew that.
icon_biggrin.gif
If the
icon_rolleyes.gif
threw you off, sorry .. It was to me for mis-counting. LOL

I usually grill my chicken and rarely smoke it. Higher heat is good for the skin, at least it is for me. I knew that low and slow on chicken will make rubbery skin and tried to avert it with raising the Guru setting but to no avail. Thanks for the tips though.
icon_smile.gif
When I reheat the legs, I'll do it on the gasser and crisp the skin up and maybe soften it again with some sauce.
icon_razz.gif

Take care.

Bill

Back