Are beef plate ribs worth time/$$$ over chuck ribs?

Monty House

TVWBB Pro
I'm having trouble sourcing plate ribs; however, I can chuck ribs. I hear plate ribs can be signficantly more expensive than chuck, too. Worth the time, hassle & money?

If I have this correct chuck ribs come from the bottom of the ribs near the brisket. The plate ribs come from the other side of the ribs near where you get your ribeye steaks. Plate ribs you are getting a more fine grain meat with less of a fat cap. Chuck ribs are more brisket like. Tougher to get tender but once done right they are awesome! I mostly smoke chuck ribs. Basically treat it like a brisket!

Chuck Ribs!

If I have this correct chuck ribs come from the bottom of the ribs near the brisket. The plate ribs come from the other side of the ribs near where you get your ribeye steaks. Plate ribs you are getting a more fine grain meat with less of a fat cap. Chuck ribs are more brisket like. Tougher to get tender but once done right they are awesome! I mostly smoke chuck ribs. Basically treat it like a brisket!

Chuck Ribs!

That is an amazing looking rib!!

If you are having problems finding plate ribs. Ask at the supermarket if they have the ribs they cut up for shortribs or Korean style ribs. They probably have them cryovaced in the back and cut them up to the short ribs and Korean style. I've been buying them this way for months now.

Back