Applying dry rub to ribs. How do you do it?

Eric Michaud

TVWBB Super Fan
Just curious what technique you all use out there. Some rub it in, others sprinkle it but don't touch it. I saw one team put the rub on and then coat the ribs with brown sugar then more rub. I am reading Paul Kirk's "Championship barbeque" and he does the mustard slather first then the rub, he says if you rub it in it blocks the pores of the meat.

What are you guys doing?

I typically sprinkle it on and lightly rub the meat to spread it around evenly. I've also used mustard but didn't notice any difference except it was messier.

I use the mustard slather then sprinkle on a generous coat and let it soak in for about 10 or 15 minutes before putting on the smoker

I apply my rub pretty heavily. I apply it and rub it in real good until it is completly red. I put them away overnight, I take them out an hour before cooking and I apply more rub but a light sprinkle, I do not rub it in the second time. I use 9 ingredients in my rub the two predominant being brown sugar then paprika. I dont believe in the whole pores theory and breathing, it just doesn't make sense. Just my opinion. Never use mustard. I did 2 slabs once, one with and one without mustard, no difference. I also recommend taking the ribs and put them in a bucket or a container and add equal parts water and apple cider vinnegar, let it sit for an hour pat dry then apply rub and put them away for the night. If you concerned about the temps going above 40 add some ice to keep the temp down, I find that they hold the temp without ice as the ribs are fresh out of a cold refrogerator. It tenderizes them real good. Good luck.

Paul Kirk's inanities are often repeated but that's what they are. He scarcely shows any evidence that he knows what he is talking about. Meat does not have pores.

There is no need to slather with mustard unless you feel like it. To me it's a waste of mustard. It will not flavor the meat nor will it 'tenderize' it.

I salt the meat, allow the salt to draw some moisture while the coals for a Minion start get going, apply the rub over the salt (it easily sticks), then load the ribs into the cooker when I pour the lit on the unlit and assemble it.

Probably a stupid question but here goes..

If you salt the ribs first and allow it to draw some of the moisture out of the meat then aren't you already helping to dry out the meat? I would think that it would be better to keep all the moisture possible inside the meat. Even better if moisture could be added.

Russ

I apply heavy amounts and rub in briskly by hand. I keep turning and rubbing until I can't get anymore of it to stick to the ribs; then I put em' back in the fridge for a nap.

If you salt the ribs first and allow it to draw some of the moisture out of the meat then aren't you already helping to dry out the meat?
No.

The moisture drawn to the surface isn't anywhere near enough to affect the moisture at the finish.

If you want 'added moisture' buy 'enhanced' ribs or brine them. To me neither of these ideas are necessary. Drying comes from overcooking. And it is easy not to overcook ribs.

IDEALLY, about like Harry Soo recommends:

"Sprinkle both sides evenly with the SYD Rib Rub; about 2 tbsp of rub for each side. Let rest in refrigerator for 1 hour for rub to “sweat” into meat."
Harry Soo, Slap Yo Daddy BBQ

However, if I'm in a hurry I might pull the ribs out of the fridge asap to help with getting the rub to "sweat" as he calls it, and use Kevin's method of lightly salting first. I don't recommend salting unless you have a low-salt rub already handy, though.

I don't use salt in my rubs or pre-salt the meat, so I use a mustard slather instead so the rub can stick to the meat. Then I apply the rub.

I agree that the mustard does not impart any flavor to or tenderize the meat.

Originally posted by Miguel M:
I don't use salt in my rubs or pre-salt the meat, so I use a mustard slather instead so the rub can stick to the meat. Then I apply the rub.

I agree that the mustard does not impart any flavor to or tenderize the meat.

Is there enough salt in the mustard, or do you use "enhanced" ribs? I find you don't need mustard. I just sprinkle it on lightly and rub in. Time, salt, and the meat's temp are all key to getting the rub to sweat.

I also slather in mustard, then apply rub both on ribs and butts. I honestly just like the color it brings out on the rub/ribs...It might not do much else, but it's just personal preference. I also think the vinegar in the mustard tenderizes the ribs a tad bit? Just my personal thoughts!
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by K Kruger:
Paul Kirk's inanities are often repeated but that's what they are. He scarcely shows any evidence that he knows what he is talking about. Meat does not have pores.

There is no need to slather with mustard unless you feel like it. To me it's a waste of mustard. It will not flavor the meat nor will it 'tenderize' it.

I salt the meat, allow the salt to draw some moisture while the coals for a Minion start get going, apply the rub over the salt (it easily sticks), then load the ribs into the cooker when I pour the lit on the unlit and assemble it.

First of all thanks to all that replied, I love hearing everyone thoughts and techniques.

Kevin I have been doing it your way for a while now, salting first then a bit later adding the rub but I always rubbed it in. I found Kirk's comments kind of funny regarding the pores as well as others saying "never" touch the rub once it goes on. I am glad you voiced your opinion on Kirk but kind of bummed. I just picked up his book so I could find some new recipes(which I am sure I will) but also to see what kind of insight I could get on techniques from a pro. I have found it hard to find a BBQ book out there that I will learn from. I have some of Raichlen's books, eh. Purvayance is geared more for grilling. Bobby Flay doesn't even know how to assemble a WSM, although I have enjoyed some of his recipes.

All of the best advice I have received in the past year has been from here. Still looking to find a book with recipes, the search continues.

Thanks to all of you.

Eric

One thing that I always noticed about those types of comments is.... why is it called a rub if you're not supposed to rub it into the meat? Should it be called a dusting, spanking,sprinkling or a light massage?

Tim

There is no need to slather with mustard unless you feel like it. It will not flavor the meat nor will it 'tenderize' it.
I agree 100%. However, I do use the mustard slather simply because I like a good bark. The mustard allows a bit more rub to stick to the ribs, pork butt, etc. and I seem to get a better bark that way. So I salt, wait a few minutes, mustard, then sprinkle on plenty of no-salt rub.

Originally posted by timothy:
One thing that I always noticed about those types of comments is.... why is it called a rub if you're not supposed to rub it into the meat? Should it be called a dusting, spanking,sprinkling or a light massage?

Tim

If I'm fixing to smoke a brisket, it's DEFINATELY a RUB. They've got a lot of nooks and crannies that I want to get the seasoning to get into, as opposed to ribs where I'm mainly just trying to apply evenly. I typically start by sprinkling from a jar with a lot of holes poked in the lid.

Back