Applying dry rub to ribs. How do you do it?

I just picked up his book so I could find some new recipes(which I am sure I will) but also to see what kind of insight I could get on techniques from a pro. I have found it hard to find a BBQ book out there that I will learn from.
I doubt you will. Maybe - but I doubt it. He's clueless when it comes to recipes - paprika in everything, dry mustard - the guy has learned nothing over the years.

The same can be said for myriad others. Sorry to be so negative but, imo, there is no other genre in cooking where so many of the 'masters' (who have cleaned up on books, products, etc.) seem to actually know so little, who spout 'facts' that scarcely qualify as informed opinions, who are oblivious to actual experience.

As far as techniques go - despite what you read from so many - there are numerous ways to get there, not just one (theirs, of course).

Originally posted by Dave Russell:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Miguel M:
I don't use salt in my rubs or pre-salt the meat, so I use a mustard slather instead so the rub can stick to the meat. Then I apply the rub.

I agree that the mustard does not impart any flavor to or tenderize the meat.

Is there enough salt in the mustard, or do you use "enhanced" ribs? I find you don't need mustard. I just sprinkle it on lightly and rub in. Time, salt, and the meat's temp are all key to getting the rub to sweat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use normal ribs, not enhanced. I try to keep my sodium intake down so that's why I don't use salt. I find that mustard helps the bark to form.

Originally posted by Dave Russell:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Martin S:
I use this rub and the method they use - results have been very good. I'm sure it would work with other rubs just as well...

http://www.texasbbqrub.com/secretsrevealed.htm

Yeah, I often slather some worster on my brisket before rubbing. Never tried it on anything else, though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can actually make a paste out of rub and Worcestershire sauce and then apply that to the meat directly - it's a little easier than putting on the sauce and then the rub.

[/QUOTE]
I doubt you will. Maybe - but I doubt it. He's clueless when it comes to recipes - paprika in everything, dry mustard - the guy has learned nothing over the years[/QUOTE]

I don't view this as negative, just an honest opinion on a subject you know a lot about. I am learning slowly but surely and am experimenting with different things but I am bored with the recipes I have been doing. Any "pros" who have books out there I can learn from that you know of Kevin? Like I said before I have learned the most about BBQ here, and draw from my experiences of course but I am looking for more.

Thanks,
Eric

What specifically do you want to learn?

The best way, frankly, is to experiment like you are already doing.

If it is recipes you seek find a base - perhaps one you are already using - and make changes. See this thread for one example. (Me, I'd use less sugar than written as sugar flattens flavors.)

Sauces can be reworked the same way.

Also consider rubs that aren't so traditional, or one halfway between the two, like, say, this.

Also see this thread.

Russ,

If you salt the ribs first and allow it to draw some of the moisture out of the meat then aren't you already helping to dry out the meat?

Meathead over at amazingribs.com explained it in a way that made sense to me. I hope I paraphrase accurately.....

Basically, the salt draws a little moisture to the surface of the meat, the two mix, and the meat draws some of it back in, pulling the salt back in with it.

As for tenderness during the cook, with many meats (Boston Butt, ribs, etc....) a lot of that juicy tenderness comes from fat and connective tissue gelatinizing. But if the salt sits on the meat for a time, that also tenderizes.

Now that's what I'm talking about Kevin, thank you. I guess when I say I want more it's recipes first, how to build a rub, what ingredients, what brings what to the table. Same for sauces and glazes. I guess I am a sponge looking to soak up what I can. I have tried so many recipes here so I am looking to expand. This last post is awesome and yes I have learned so much from just doing it and figuring out what works for me and what doesn't. Another thing I was looking for you touched on in those links, why paprika and dry mustard are useless, a lot of people make those statements but don't say why.I have learned so much here it is crazy. I have a bit of a cooking background but when it came to BBQ I felt like such a rookie, it has been a year since I dove in and now I find myself answering questions here and having something to backup what I am writing. Thanks again for all your help as well as everyone else here on this site.

I sprinkle and then gently massage the rub in. I love the feeling of meat against my hands.
icon_wink.gif

Back