Apple Butter on Pork Ribs?

Dan M

TVWBB Member
My DIL gave me a jar of her homemade Apple Butter. I was thinking of using it on pork ribs, applying before cooking L&S on the WSM.
I am worried it will burn during cooking. I have 0 experience cooking with Apple Butter and don't want to ruin the meat. I normally just season with salt & pepper and sometimes spritz with apple juice. I don't wrap in foil and usually brush with BBQ sauce the last hour or so.
Anyone use Apple Butter or Applesauce in a similar manner How did it work out?

P.S. The Apple Butter was great on Chocolate Chip Ice Cream.

As you know, apple anything goes with pork. As butter melts at 95o all of it will just roll off. The smoke will over power any flavour left.

BUT butter burns at 300o and given the temperature fluctuations we experience with a smoker, personally I think the negatives far outweigh any possible benefits.

Len:
Apple Butter does not contain "Butter" or any milk product. (think Peanut butter but with apples) it is basically apples cooked down past the apple sauce stage to where the sugars caramelize turning it a dark brown

I did a teriyaki pulled pork awhile ago and member Bryan S suggested using apple butter instead of mustard as a slather ( I was thinking applesauce ) and it worked quite well.
Ribs, maybe brush on a thin coating towards the end. I think that would be good.

Tim

Back