Appetizer sized Salmon

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
Doing some B.B. tomorrow and I wanted to put a small piece of salmon in with them.

Obviously the salmon will be quick but:

how long?

Temps will be normal (225-275)
Salmon is 8 oz skin on. About 5" x 3" and 1/2" thick.

Just a guesstimate is what I'm looking for: 15 min? Hour?

Tks.

Last edited by a moderator:
:confused:

I could type the title but the keyboard would not appear for the body (cellie). Had to reboot. And you can't edit the title once posted.

Anyways, doing some B.B. tomorrow and I wanted to put a small piece of salmon in with them.

Obviously the salmon will be quick but:

how long?

Temps will be normal (225-275)
Salmon is 8 oz skin on. About 5" x 3" and 1/2" thick.

Just a guesstimate is what I'm looking for: 15 min? Hour?

Tks.

How small? Smaller equals faster cook times.. I usually cook salmon on a kettle, indirect on a shallow foil pan with temps 325 to 350 range and cook until I can see start to see white bubbles forming which is about 130+- internal. A 3 lb filet might be around 15-20 minutes cooked this way.

Keep in mind I'm smoking this (ie 'smoked salmon') so I don't have to be robbed by buying (more than I need) in the grocery.

45 minutes at 260-270 was right.

I put it in at the 3 hr (of 4) mark for the ribs. I don't think I got as much smoke as I wanted though. The one tip provided (about
the "white" bubbles) did help. I used the instant thermo and internal was 155. Out it came.

I love salmon on the grill. This was really good as well: used as an appetizer on homemade baguette--sliced, toasted with butter and EVOO then cooled off
and a cream cheese concoction on that then the salmon then a bit more crm cheese and a sprig of dill. Nice and moist salmon. Perfectly cooked.

It was a success.

No pics but this is from the website where I found it (followed recipe to a T--no capers though)
Smoked-Salmon-Crostini-Recipe-2-640x480.jpg

Those are cold-smoked I believe so mine were a leetle bit less red (more pink as hot-cooked salmon usually is)

Last edited:
I have recently followed a recipe of Steven Raichlen's that suggested sour cream instead of cream cheese (along with the capers). I and my wife both liked it and it sure spread a lot easier than cream cheese. Those so inclined might want to give it a shot...

Hot smoked salmon (especially wild Alaskan Salmon) is DYNAMITE on toast and cream cheese or sour cream. That is a great reason to smoke more than you are going to use when hot off the grill for lunch or... the next few days.

FWIW
Dale53

Len, if you really want to save some money on salmon (especially what you smoke yourself) you can stretch it even further by making mousse with it. This recipe from Allrecipes was great with some added horseradish and capers:

4 ounces smoked salmon

2 tablespoons heavy cream

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened

1/2 lemon, juiced

1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed to taste

salt and pepper to taste

Place smoked salmon in a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth. Mix in heavy cream, cream cheese, juice of half of a lemon, dried dill weed, salt and pepper. Blend to desired consistency. Transfer to a medium serving dish, and garnish with salmon roe.

I can't say enough about the merits of cold smoking salmon though. It's an entirely different product if you have the means.

86F3FEE6-A935-425C-AC23-5932F49DE9C8-11986-00000E238284C60D_zps9d86ef23.jpg

Back