Anyone use Stubbs Briquettes?

Jacob Samarin

TVWBB Member
hey guys so I finally used up all my Wicked Good Lump.(The Comp and Weekend Warrior blend)
The Comp blend is obviously not available anymore and they guy I was buying the W.W. blend from quit selling it.So I went to Lowe's and picked up some Stubbs briquettes.
Honestly I must say I get a longer more even burn with briquettes over the lump.Now I have heard this to be true before but now it seems I have seen it for myself.
I guess my question(s) are:
1.Anyone use Stubbs and what do they think of it?
2.Is there any briquettes our there that are even better that I should try?
3.What do you personally prefer in you WSM?Briquettes or Lump?

Thanks in advance.
icon_biggrin.gif

Personally I prefer lump, but for longer cooks good old fashion Kingsford works best for me. I find much more consistency for a longer period of time. I'd be curious to know more about the Stubbs, as well.

I have about 8 bags of the Stumps briquettes. I use them for my WSM and my Performer, saving my lump for the Primo and Kamado Joe. It is a quality charcoal, better than K, IMHO, and especially good if you can get it for a couple bucks a bag off of the regular price, like I was able to do a while back!

Pat

Lots of threads on this. I prefer Stubbs but usually use Kingsford because of the price ($7.99 for 40 lbs at the sales). Stubbs doesn't have all the additives and the briquettes are larger and more uniform. There's less ash, and since they're bigger, they don't get caught in the rungs of your charcoal chimney!

I've used Stubbs, a bit to much ash for me. I prefer Trader Joe's, great heat if needed, LONG cook times. I've gone 24+ hours @ avg. 250° w/o adding fuel (clay pot instead of water)
Pleasant aroma w/ minimal ash.

Stubbs is alright, never used the WG so no help on a comparison.
IMO it's just the same as the regular RO briqs just more spensive. I ran through a dozen bags back in the summer when Lowe's had it on sale and for that price I thought it was worth it, but at regular price I'll stick with RO.
Oh I use lump or briqs (RO) whatever is on sale..
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rich langer:
Trader Joe Charcoal is RANCHER.

Stuff I want to try is Coshell </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just did some research and it looks like since 2010 that's what they've been using. That's to bad, I still have a few bags left of the pre-2010 stuff. (Bought a bunch and then had to travel for a few years so didn't get much BBQ time in)

Jacob,

I like to use lump on the WSM for high heat cooks, or cooks less than 4ish hours. I have used about 5 bags of Stubbs. It's very good. I used it last week for an overnight Boston Butt, and it held temps phenomenally well.

Back