Anyone use plum wood?

Jim_Munsey

TVWBB Member
Hi All --

My neighbor has been doing some serious trimming on his plum tree and there are a number of 3-4" diameter chunks available. Has anyone used plum for smoking? Should I rescue this stuff or let it go?

Thanks.

Jim

Hi,

Rescue the plum wood! It goes great with lamb, pork, poultry and mixes well with any other wood. A couple of years back my Dad finally chopped down his prune plum tree and I have acces toa lot of plum. The wood from this tree is very hard so you don't have to use much and like all fruitwoods produces a mild smoke flavour. I strongly recommend you try it out.

I haven't used it before but if it were my neighbor his pile of wood to get rid of would be smaller.

I don't see how you can go wrong with fruitwood. I don't like to cook with just fruitwood but I like smoke. I like to add several pieces of a stronger wood to what I am cooking and finish up with fruitwood.

For the most part I usually use 6 chunks of wood on every smoke. On ribs I will use 2 chunks of stronger wood(nut wood) and the rest fruit. Brisket or butt I might use 3 or 4 pieces of nut wood and finish with fruit.

Last year I borrowed a friends wsm and cooked 18 slabs of ribs between the 2. On one smoker I used all fruitwood for an experiment. The ribs were good (sweet) but not as good as the ones that had a couple of chunks of nut wood in the smoker. That is pretty much how I always do it now days.

I would definately try it out. If you don't like it you have some wood for a bon-fire. Post back your results so the rest of us know how good or bad it is. I can't imagine it being bad though.

A COUPLE LIMBS?
icon_confused.gif

You need to go get it all. It's free - go get it!
icon_biggrin.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jim_munsey:
Should I rescue this stuff or let it go? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rescue it! This advice from a guy with a small apple orchard (60 trees). Great on ribs. Wonderful after tones.

By couple of the limbs I meant the 4-5 good sized ones (3-4" diameter). There's a lot of little suckers that I assume wouldn't be worthwhile.

Back