Anyone try a orbital polisher with 0000 steel wool for under hood cleaning?

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all......I am always looking to trim the fat on these resto's. My favorite part or most rewarding part of a resto is the under hood scrape and polish. That said not all of them clean up so easy :( . This last Silver B that I am working on was a nightmare and took many new razor blades to get clean and I have yet to do the Simple Green and steel wool finish. So I was thinkin........ I wonder......hmmmmmmmmm just like when I polish headlights on a car using the 3m kit and my drill with the adapters. I wonder is I could use a foam polisher adapter from the headlight kit and just trap a chunk of 0000 steel wool under it and spin that bad boy if it would make faster work of a troublesome hood???? Can you picture what I am saying here? Another option is to just try some kind of orbital polisher with a mild abrasive attachment to see if that works but clearly steel wool is the king.
I bet a few of u guys have a trick up your sleeve......lets here it.

I guess I would be worried about scratches. Porcelain hoods are tough but not invincible. You would also still have to deal with the corners.

Well I would still be using 0000 steel wool and I would have control of the speed via my drill.....so its not a lot different then doing it by hand. As for oven cleaner.....I dont like that stuff. I bet it would make my resto world a lot easier but I avoid the harsh chemicals. I prefer the slow death of grinding aluminum and paint fumes over oven cleaner :)

I don't know. I use oven cleaner on the stainless grates and flavorizer bars and just spray it off. With a little touch up with a scotch brite, they come out pretty good. But that's the lazy in me. Always looking for the easy way, lol. I've never messed with the lid.

Jim: if you do rehabs, you probably have a nasty lid or two laying around. If not, you probably will pretty soon. Give that a shot and let us know how it works out. It sounds very interesting to me. Sometimes with a presoak of grill cleaner, those lids scrape off and clean up really easy. Some times it is like trying to remove some industrial coating.

Jim,
Like I have stated in the past I use Dawn Power Dissolver on the inside of the lids and let it set 15-20 minutes. The carbon build up scrapes off like paint after using paint remover. Much easier than sitting there with a razor scraper.

Regarding your idea of using a Buffer...I used my Flex XC3401 Polisher on my Platinum hood years ago, no steel wool just some Meguiars Ultimate Compound although this was to bring out a shine, not remove grease/carbon.

4Amfqa1.jpg

Jeff

Jim,
Like I have stated in the past I use Dawn Power Dissolver on the inside of the lids and let it set 15-20 minutes. The carbon build up scrapes off like paint after using paint remover. Much easier than sitting there with a razor scraper.

Regarding your idea of using a Buffer...I used my Flex XC3401 Polisher on my Platinum hood years ago, no steel wool just some Meguiars Ultimate Compound although this was to bring out a shine, not remove grease/carbon.

4Amfqa1.jpg

Jeff
I have been searching for your Dawn Power Dissolver and it is EXPENSIVE. The lowest price is about $15 for a 32oz bottle. Where do you buy it and how much do you pay?

If you want to try abrasives, look into 3M bristle brushes. They're commonly used for a variety of tasks in the automotive industry. There's different grits available and they're meant for removing material quick without damaging the surfaces underneath.

I buy Dawn Power Dissolver by the case, sells for around $62 from several online sellers.
I like to order it from Staples as with their coupon it comes in under $50.

Jeff

I forgot about that Dawn thing.....yep we did talk about that last year.......something held me back from buying.....I think it was due to it being a very strong industrial product......kinda like oven cleaner.....I will look back into it. Most hoods that I come across I can get Mr Miagi on them with a few new razor blades and within 20 min I am ready for simple green and 0000 steel wool no problem and it always comes out looking great. The only reason I am looking for alternative methods is for the real nasty hoods that just wont give up the farm and leave a lot of residue after using the razor blade. Now those would be good for the Dawn product I guess but I dont have water at the warehouse that I do my resto's in so I cant be rinsing and such. I am not a granola freak or anything like that but if I can avoid nasty chemicals getting in the sewers I will.
Hey Jeff the hood in that pic isnt finished.....I see several areas of carbon left behind.....no offense please.....
I just did a quickie tonight and didnt even buff it with my secret potion of Mr Clean Clean Freak but the inner hood still looks tight for a quickie. I will include another pic of one of my buffed hoods....

Attachments

• 20210318_200507.jpg
    20210318_200507.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20201221_222857.jpg
    20201221_222857.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 19
Damn.....Looks like I may have missed a spot or two on my buffed hood :( I will call it a shadow for now....

I forgot about that Dawn thing.....yep we did talk about that last year.......something held me back from buying.....I think it was due to it being a very strong industrial product......kinda like oven cleaner.....I will look back into it. Most hoods that I come across I can get Mr Miagi on them with a few new razor blades and within 20 min I am ready for simple green and 0000 steel wool no problem and it always comes out looking great. The only reason I am looking for alternative methods is for the real nasty hoods that just wont give up the farm and leave a lot of residue after using the razor blade. Now those would be good for the Dawn product I guess but I dont have water at the warehouse that I do my resto's in so I cant be rinsing and such. I am not a granola freak or anything like that but if I can avoid nasty chemicals getting in the sewers I will.
Hey Jeff the hood in that pic isnt finished.....I see several areas of carbon left behind.....no offense please.....
I just did a quickie tonight and didnt even buff it with my secret potion of Mr Clean Clean Freak but the inner hood still looks tight for a quickie. I will include another pic of one of my buffed hoods....
Jim - Those look great. Are those flippers, did you sandblast the boxes? If yes, how much time and money do you have in them and what would your profit be? I ask because I don't do as thorough job and am wondering if I would make more or less. This is was my last one. I thought I got a deal on the grill as I only paid $20 and it came with 2 tanks. But this grill needed more than I bargained for, I spent $115 for grates, wheels igniter, f-bars, rails (burners where actually in good shape). In the end I sold it for $200 and made a profit of $60. I did about 4 hours work not counting picking up, pics, listing. Also after cleaning I found the firebox was not in great shape and had to make new mounts with my friend JB Weld for the drip pan rails and then drill holes in the firebox to through bolt the rails. 20210306_111251.jpg20210306_104119.jpg

Hey Joe....Im no expert....I just learn from the guys here on the forum. I am finishing that same grill u have there but mine is blue. I chose this grill as my trophy grill and planned on spending a lot of hours getting it just right or as right as I can possibly make a grill. Funny I still made several errors. Anyway I plan to sell mine for $450......I bought mine for $100.....I have a lot of time into the grill. I do not sand blast....just a wire wheel and a grinder which I only do for grills that are worth the effort. Grills sell for different $$$$ in different areas but in my area your burgundy grill would sell for $350 easily. I am a big fan of getting grills for free or very cheap so you can afford to put new parts in them like you did. If a grill will sell for big money I think its worth it for you to grind out the cook box.....at least the top portion so it looks great above the grates. If its just a quick flipper scrape it....clean it....get it working correctly....and move it out.....getting a $100 on a quick flip is more profitable sometimes.

Attachments

• 20210103_134929.jpg
    20210103_134929.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210103_134819.jpg
    20210103_134819.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 14
ps...my blue grill still isnt complete yet.....I still have to finish the wood on the flip up shelves.

Jim,
If you're referring to the top half of my lid that is fade in the porcelain, not carbon deposits.

Jeff

Back