Anyone tried any of the "Wicked Good BBQ" recipes?

Dave Russell

TVWBB Honor Circle
The book is by a couple members of the IQUE bbq team, and supposedly has exact recipes that they've won with, like st. louis that won the Jack, and brisket that won the American Royal.

Think I'll try the brisket recipe (minus the Butchers) in a week or so, but the "savory pork marinade injection" is gonna be it for my next butt cook, thanks to Dale Perry's talk of his savory injection success.

Thing about this book though, is that there's a lot of recipes that are just....well, extravagant and over the top, and I'll never use use 'em. Most are in the chapter entitled, "Wait 'til you try this (Unbelievable results THAT TAKE TIME).

Anyhow, I was just wondering if anyone else had picked it up and tried anything in it yet.

I did their championship pork butt more or less this weekend. I used their rub, did the injection and used their marinade to finish it. I didn't do their sauce because I was missing a couple of ingredients, so I just tossed on some Blue's Hog that I had laying around.

I injected and rubbed two 7.5 lb butts and tossed them in the fridge for about 8 hours. I smoked the butts for about 8 hours with apple wood (foiled after 5 at 165) and took them off at about 203-205. Let them rest in a pan with the finishing sauce, then pulled the pork. It was moist and tender, the sauces really combined well with a sweet and tangy flavor profile.

I'll try other recipes, the brisket looks good and the ribs as well.

Dave, I looked at the preview of that book on Amazon. Looks interesting. I enjoy cookbooks written by SME's and ones that seem to have been tested and tried. Share your results afterwards.

I've tried a handful of the recipes including the championship brisket recipe. The brisket turned out great with a nice deep beef flavor. I actually have some short ribs in the Korean beef marinade right now. We'll have them for dinner tonight along with some kimchi from Lucky Peach. I like messing around with crazy recipes so this book is right up my alley.

Thanks, guys. I'll post back after trying some of the stuff. Not too big on brisket injections, but I'll be trying the pork butt inj. for sure. Gotta find where to buy Schechuan (sp?) and long peppercorns and a few other more exotic ingredients for the sauce, etc.

I did the lamb shanks, just a couple of weeks after the book came out. It was a cut I had never tired before (let alone smoked). Turned out fantastic!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Len Dennis:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
Gotta find where to buy Schechuan (sp?) and long peppercorns and a few other more exotic ingredients for the sauce, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.amazon.com/JR-Mushr...rcorns/dp/B000EM6FV2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Len. I appreciate it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin Prigge:
I did their championship pork butt more or less this weekend. I used their rub, did the injection and used their marinade to finish it. I didn't do their sauce because I was missing a couple of ingredients, so I just tossed on some Blue's Hog that I had laying around.

I injected and rubbed two 7.5 lb butts and tossed them in the fridge for about 8 hours. I smoked the butts for about 8 hours with apple wood (foiled after 5 at 165) and took them off at about 203-205. Let them rest in a pan with the finishing sauce, then pulled the pork. It was moist and tender, the sauces really combined well with a sweet and tangy flavor profile.

I'll try other recipes, the brisket looks good and the ribs as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The recipe makes for a VERY interactive cook, and I've NEVER used so much of a sweet/thick red sauce in a finishing sauce before. Of course, I don't usually do finishing sauces. Anyhow, you guys can't say I don't try different things!
icon_biggrin.gif
I'll probably try the injection again, minus the glazing and all the sweet finishing sauce. Made for some VERY sweet 'Q for my taste, but my son loved it.

I got the book when it first came out, but need to get it out again now that I have money in on our first contest in June.

My initial thoughts:

many of the recipes didn't catch my eye.

The layer dip is cool, but for the inventor. If I go through all the time and effort to recreate that recipe, it wouldn't seem the same. Heck, I've been in their exact spot, with tons of elaborately made components, and chucked them together for the greatest nachos ever, but even I would never go through it all again to make it.

I was stunned by the transglutaminase in their chicken. I had been throwing around the idea for a year or two, and figured somebody had to be doing it. I got the book specifically to see why their chicken always kicks our butt, and I felt a little vindicated seeing that tg works (I knew it would).

I was also stunned to see long pepper and Szechuan pepper in their sauce. It gives me hope that the judges don't always need dumbed down recipes.

I will say that these are all minor points, and it's an interesting book that anyone who competes should consider purchasing. I probably sound petty, and I have never written a cookbook nor been able to compete at their level, so don't read too much into anything I said.

Back