Anyone set paver stones ?

I did not watch them do mine either did not even know about the sand my bad. They did put mortar around the outside edges its below the paver line so you can't see it as their is grass around most all of the edges its a pretty big area around the pool. You can see it in the areas that have no grass but those areas are covered with pine straw so its hidden also but that is how I know its there.

Hi-
It depends a lot on where you live.
The soil is mostly sand where I live.
So...
All I had to do is make sure that the ground was level and set the pavers. (remove any rocks)
Then I used local sand to sweep in between the cracks.
Done.
Its been fine for the past five years or so, even with driving on it.
March...

Hi-
It depends a lot on where you live.
The soil is mostly sand where I live.
So...
All I had to do is make sure that the ground was level and set the pavers. (remove any rocks)
Then I used local sand to sweep in between the cracks.
Done.
Its been fine for the past five years or so, even with driving on it.
March...

I have a clay soil. I've set two or three paver stones around water hydrants, on top of the clay soil and they don't budge. Some have been there for years.

But I've dug down 6" and I'm gonna be filling with 3" of paver base. Sooo , I'm pretty sure I need to compact the paver base.

Timothy no offense pavers have a external groove on each side so they should not be touching so there is a gap
Mine our prolly 20 years old. Somebody dumped some extras on a empty lot in a townhome subdivision I was working on so I loaded them up in my van. They only have a false joint of maybe a 1/8" and they do touch each other tight like a jigsaw. ( you could maybe slip a dollar bill thru )
I talked to a few pros and they recommended the regular sand broomed over, and give it a hose and repeat.
I had some spray on epoxy sealer that we used on gas station flat work and they said use that on the sand ( like grout sealer )
and that will do the job.
It did cause I just redid mine and that ain't bad for 20 years.;)

Are those the pavers; the stacked red ones?
I see you have a cinderblock.
That works in a pinch as a tamper.

The pavers I'm gonna use are just like the red ones, except grey. They will come closer to the color of the concrete. I'm not doing anything fancy, this is gonna be the home of my stick burner. The stack on the smoker was within 6 " of the ceiling, had to move it out.

I had not thought about , but that cinder block would work as a tamper.

I had not thought about , but that cinder block would work as a tamper.
I was gonna suggest that before the 2x4 with the scrap piece of plywood, but I didn't know what you had laying around.
For a small area I would use that, instead of paying cash for a tamper.

I was gonna suggest that before the 2x4 with the scrap piece of plywood, but I didn't know what you had laying around.
For a small area I would use that, instead of paying cash for a tamper.

I think you're right. I'll give it a go in the morning.

I did something similar to my patio about 10 years ago, I used 16" square pavers & added an additional 5' x 12' space. Then about 4 years ago I decided to extend the patio to the end of the house, you can also see by the attached picture what mother nature does to the color of pavers. My point is, I feel like you can never have to much space, & if your going to go bigger, do it all at once.

Attachments

• IMG_0530.JPG
    IMG_0530.JPG
    230.3 KB · Views: 15
I did something similar to my patio about 10 years ago, I used 16" square pavers & added an additional 5' x 12' space. Then about 4 years ago I decided to extend the patio to the end of the house, you can also see by the attached picture what mother nature does to the color of pavers. My point is, I feel like you can never have to much space, & if your going to go bigger, do it all at once.

wow ! that's a project, and a lot more than I'd want to take on.

But great job !

I like the finished project! Everyone has told you more than I could have. I have half a bucket of leftover polymerized sand from my last project, I need to tinker with cleaning out some of the old now that I’ve built the deck and removed part of the old pavers.

Back