Anyone read this new book on the WSM ?

My copy of the book should arrive today. I'll give it a peek and let you guys know what I think. The only time I do Hot and Fast on my 18 WSM is when I cook a whole turkey which is not often, maybe twice a year. Rarely have I got the temperature up as high as I would like so it just runs as hot as it will that day and it gets done when it's done. I'm very curious how he builds the fire.

My copy of the book should arrive today. I'll give it a peek and let you guys know what I think. The only time I do Hot and Fast on my 18 WSM is when I cook a whole turkey which is not often, maybe twice a year. Rarely have I got the temperature up as high as I would like so it just runs as hot as it will that day and it gets done when it's done. I'm very curious how he builds the fire.
When my turkey hit about 155 I put it on my hot gasser that was at about 450° until the skin was more than crisp, maybe a minute or two to long;-) I still eat it up though.

Attachments

• 20211130_165555.jpg
    20211130_165555.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 2
  • 20211130_174315.jpg
    20211130_174315.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 2
@Lynn Dollar , to answer your question 'Is it worth $12?' I would definitely say yes. There is nothing in Chapter 1, (Intro to Hot, Fast and Easy Cooking on the WSM) that is ground breaking or earth shattering information. It is pretty elementary for the seasoned WSM user. BUT, it is well written and very well illustrated. For the ones that have not tried high heat on their WSM's, it will be very beneficial. What really makes this book worth the money, imho, is the fantastic recipes in all of the categories. Hope this helps if you are on the edge.

@Lynn Dollar , to answer your question 'Is it worth $12?' I would definitely say yes. There is nothing in Chapter 1, (Intro to Hot, Fast and Easy Cooking on the WSM) that is ground breaking or earth shattering information. It is pretty elementary for the seasoned WSM user. BUT, it is well written and very well illustrated. For the ones that have not tried high heat on their WSM's, it will be very beneficial. What really makes this book worth the money, imho, is the fantastic recipes in all of the categories. Hope this helps if you are on the edge.

Thanks, so its a recipe book. My primary interest was his method for cooking Hot Fast on the WSM.

Yes, I consider it a recipe book. But to be fair, each recipe has specific instructions as to how much lit and unlit charcoal and what water pan configuration to use. Not all recipes have the same setup.

Back in the day I got into the H&F on my 22 WSM. The best way to achieve the 300 plus temps to the WSM is by adding an additional (or 2) top vents to the dome. With all 3 open I was able to get up to about 425…

Back in the day I got into the H&F on my 22 WSM. The best way to achieve the 300 plus temps to the WSM is by adding an additional (or 2) top vents to the dome. With all 3 open I was able to get up to about 425…
I just found an old thread here that Shawn W added 2 top and 3 more bottom vents. I like the idea of 2 more for the top to cook birds.

I just found an old thread here that Shawn W added 2 top and 3 more bottom vents. I like the idea of 2 more for the top to cook birds.
Yeah I remember when Shawn did that. I think the additional bottom vents were over kill. I added 2 top vents to both the 18 and 22. Start up and getting up to temp is quicker when using the additional top vents. Great for H&F brisket and I really like being able to cook whole chickens at 350°+ to achieve crispy skin. I got the daisy wheels from Weber and used a 3/4” step drill bit. Was actually pretty easy to do. Here’s a pic of the 18…4DBDEE61-9BB6-454A-97D8-27F38CE481EF.jpeg

Yeah I remember when Shawn did that. I think the additional bottom vents were over kill. I added 2 top vents to both the 18 and 22. Start up and getting up to temp is quicker when using the additional top vents. Great for H&F brisket and I really like being able to cook whole chickens at 350°+ to achieve crispy skin. I got the daisy wheels from Weber and used a 3/4” step drill bit. Was actually pretty easy to do. Here’s a pic of the 18…
Nice job - May be time for a cleaning;-) I am going to look into ordering 2 of those for my 18

I will probably get them from your link as I am not in a hurry, though Amazon has me so locked in so that the price comes out equal, once you factor in free 2 day shipping and 5% back.
I added 2 more top vents on my 18 and it made a big difference on getting the higher temps. You’ll be glad you did it.

Back