Anyone own a BBQ restaurant???

Originally posted by K Kruger:
There are definitely things I don't eat depending on the locale. Chinese in Florida is abyssmal. I think you can elevate the tastes of your diners by doing what you want; location is of course paramount (doesn't always work) and you might have to go slow with introductions of new things/ideas, but it can work. I was told I'd never be able to sell anything other than grouper, dolphin, salmon, and red snapper on Miami Beach. I had a broker in Seattle, one in Hawaii, one in the Keys, and one in NE. I flew in fresh fish every day and sold the hell out of it.

Kevin, I think you are right about this. In Indy, the big bbq items are spare ribs, rib tips, and bbq beef sandwiches. There are those who like pulled pork an brisket proper; however, I believe most of the dollars are spent on ribs and tips. I will have to keep that in mind as I build my offerings.

Tony

Tony--

Cruised through Indy yesterday. Squeezed in a work-out at Bally on 38th Street, then I was off. I'm sure I smelled you cooking though.

My point is this: People often underestimate their clientele more than they overestimate them in a restaurant start-up situation--actually even established places can be guilty of this. Customers will try new things if they trust you. What has to be considered in the planning phase of a start-up is not only what type of clientele you want to attract and what food you think that clientele will buy, but what and where you really want to go with your place (if you'd wish your concept expanded). It all comes down to having an image of what you really want your business to be because that will give you the best shot at success because your heart will be in it. If it's only about the money, you can buy a franchise--you know what I mean?

Originally posted by K Kruger:
...My point is this: People often underestimate their clientele more than they overestimate them in a restaurant start-up situation--actually even established places can be guilty of this. Customers will try new things if they trust you. What has to be considered in the planning phase of a start-up is not only what type of clientele you want to attract and what food you think that clientele will buy, but what and where you really want to go with your place (if you'd wish your concept expanded). It all comes down to having an image of what you really want your business to be because that will give you the best shot at success because your heart will be in it. If it's only about the money, you can buy a franchise--you know what I mean?

Kevin, well said. I do have a vision for what I want to do, but this is totally new territory for me so I know I will have to tread softly. Underestimating and overestimating clientele is one reason I am trying to set realistic goals for even starting my biz. I know what some of the people are accustomed to with bbq food, but I dont know what they might be "open" to. You made some really good points that have me thinking about some clever ways of polling the market for some stats to help me guestimate what my potential customers will buy. And lastly, you make an excellent point in mentioning that I have to go with my heart on this too. I dont just want to have a "joint" that I own for profit - I want a restaurant/biz that I am passionate about and that my customers love because of the passion I put into it. That is the most important thing to me.

Tony

After a day like today, there is no way in the world that running a restaurant can be any harder than what I did. Believe me, there are lots of harder jobs in the world. I feel like the guy who started Dreamland BBQ, praying to the Lord for anything but what I do now. I am going to look into this on the legal end for my area, and I have a partner in mind that doesnt have a clue that he is going to be asked soon.

Konrad , I have the crazy part mastered.

Tony/Dale--

If I had a nickle for every time someone told me how 'hard' the restaurant biz is, how difficult it is to deal with employees or to find good ones, how much energy you have to expend, how long the hours are, etc., I'd be very rich.

It's all of that (although I'd dispute the 'hard' part). It is consuming, no doubt; there are aspects that are trying and annoying. I have more than once worked 6- 7- 8-month stretches of 12 to 15-hour days with no day off. But if you can get it as close to your dream aas possible, there will be no place you'd rather be. That's how it was for me. Sometimes--often--I miss it so much it hurts. And this thread ain't helping!
icon_smile.gif

You know, restaurant work is hard, but if you love it, if you love being your own boss, the time flies. My little brother Harold owns a BBQ joint up in Fairbanks--I'll let him speak for himself next time he logs into this site, but I know he works hard at the restaurant and at his other full time job. Konrad, I think he gets less sleep than you do.
icon_smile.gif

I also agree with Konrad that the q-joint sounds "romantic?" but the reality is that table service is a pain and costly besides. Catering, vending, maybe just catering is the way to go.

My catering business is ramping up nice and slow, making a few extra bucks here and there. The nice thing is knowing exactly when I need to work, exactly how much I will make, and not worrying if customers decide to come to my place today.

Good luck to all in pursuit of your dreams.

Dale

Kevin ... I'm new to barbecue ... I certainly have no experience working in a restaurant ... and I'm probably only an "average" tipper ... still, I can see your passion and how much you miss the industry.

I know it's a difficult profession, but are you wanting to jump back in?

I know it's a difficult profession, but are you wanting to jump back in?
In a heartbeat.

I suppose it can be difficult. But 'difficulty' doesn't feel 'difficult' when it's your own gig. I do not know Colin (who started this thread) but my guess is that there are days that are more trying than others, employees and the odd customer that can be exasperating, and probably some other 'issues' but I would imagine that if you asked him--or Konrad--if there was another placed he'd rather be he'd say no.

If I am not juggling new recipe ideas in my head I'm working on restaurant concepts--I have six, fully-formed, in my head. If people here or from other forums ask my opinion I am very happy to offer it because it is what I enjoy doing the most. I particularly like the people on this forum because they are so positive, willing to share, and willing (and wanting) to plug away at something they enjoy (cooking Q) to get it 'right'. I am amazed, and sometimes saddened, by how negative some of the people in the forums for professionals can be; how cavalier.

The concept I have that I'd call the barbecue one (more like barbecue writ large) is one of countless approaches countless people could take. I think that those people here that are interested in pursuing a dream of starting a restaurant, joint, catering gig--whatever--should take the steps and make the motions and gather the info, refining or adjusting the dream along the way, till they're ready to make the step. Start small, and grow; start small and keep small; go large out the gate; it's all up to the individual and there are many possibilities. Gather info, ask questions; explore, then decide. There is much more to it than cooking. (Listen to the people who challenge your assumptions, it'll help you refine your ideas. Avoid those that just seek to shoot you down.) But without waxing rhapsodic or getting too existential here, I have known too many people who have given up on a dream before even taking one tiny step in that direction, and as the years pass regret it more and more.

Any venture (food service or otherwise) can be difficult, daunting, trying, exciting, exhilarating, rewarding. Jump in again? You betcha.

Kevin, did you ever think of doing consulting type work? I use consulting for lack of a better term. You could have classes and impart your BBQ1 theory to people who would be willing to pay a fee plus when they started their business you could work with them to get it going. Kind of like the best of both worlds

But without waxing rhapsodic or getting too existential here, I have known too many people who have given up on a dream before even taking one tiny step in that direction, and as the years pass regret it more and more.

Absolutely. I think we are often guilty of exchanging our dreams for practicalities. The trade seems acceptable at the time, even the right thing to do, but over time the true cost of the trade becomes all to real.

The following quote has always inspired me and I think it strangely appropriate for a discussion about starting a barbecue business:

"The place where God calls you is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet." - Frederick Buechner

Originally posted by Dennis T.:
The following quote has always inspired me and I think it strangely appropriate for a discussion about starting a barbecue business:

"The place where God calls you is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet." - Frederick Buechner

That gets a big AMEN from this preacher!
icon_wink.gif

Tony

did you ever think of doing consulting type work?

I've done quite a bit. It's fairly lucrative and rewarding. The practicalities in my life of several years ago precluded its pursuit full time. I'm actually in a better position now, for occasional or part time anyway. Regardless, I enjoy offering what I can thorough a forum such as this one and people email me too; keeps me fresh.
I think we are often guilty of exchanging our dreams for practicalities.
Yes. Sometimes practicalities are insurmountable. But if you make steps in the direction of your vision, watching and learning and figuring as you go, and ahead of time as much as you can, you will see if the practicalities are truly preventive or if they are chimerical, if your fear is creating imaginary roadblocks.

Could you guys recomend a formula for portions when catering? Sides and main dishes. What would you recomend for a basic catering menu? 3 side dish choices-2 meat choices- 2 dessert choices

Restaurants sound hard. That's why I'm opening a beer joint.

Oh, wait, I meant I'm just opening a beer...!

(cool thread tho!)

You had me there for a split second--before I read the second line (very funny, though). For a teeny tiny speck-of-a-moment I thought your next line was going to be an invite for all to the grand opening!

I can tell you definatly that I love the restaurant buisness. I've tried other types of work and I always come back to this. There is nothing like it.

I put in 70hrs a week right now but I miss the place when I'm not there. Its allot of fun. It can be frustrating as well, but anything can be at times.

If anyone has questions about opening a restaurant I would be more than willing to help were I can.

Back