Anyone make their own Chipotles?

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Summer is coming to an end soon and my jalapeno plants are full of peppers. I'd love to smoke/dry some chipotles. Anyone have tips on just how to go about doing that with a WSM? I saw the method in the Cooking Topics using the hot plate and CI pan. What if I just took a couple lit coals and a piece of smoke wood? Granted, you'd probably have to add some charcoal and smoke wood every hour or so. But I'm thinking it could work.

Jim,
They won't be dried, but smoke charred and frozen will preserve them.

I did this with some Hatch chiles.
The roti was out, so I gave it a spin, but it didn't work that well with my smallish fire.

This should work better just on a grill grate.
Freeze them on a cookie sheet, then bag 'em.

I left the skins on, when thawed they peel right off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ben Setzer:
Jim, check out www.randyq.addr.com.
He has a good article about making chipotles.

Ben </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great link! Thanks!

Jim,

Last summer we had a lot of jalapenos and cilantro on hand, and made a big batch of chimmichurri and froze it.

I also like to blanch and freeze peppers or chunks of peppers. They keep really well, and are nice to throw in a pot of chili when they're $5 a pound in the grocery store.

Not to discourage you from chipotles, but they seem like a lot of work and are cheap and easy to buy canned. I've never had homemade to know if they're any better, though. There are some other great ideas on that RandyQ site.

Back