Anyone make Old Timer's Bacon?

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Saw a show on Nat Geo today where a guy used ground pork to make a loaf bacon. Looked fantastic and something I'd like to try.
Here's the show.
One site I found.
And a cure.

Nope, but now that I've read about it I want to! :)

EDIT: I poked around the Internet a bit and came up with this basic starter recipe.....

Salt 2.5%
Brown sugar 1%
Cure 0.25%

This is similar to my basic bacon cure, except my salt content is 1.8% You could add whatever seasonings beyond this that you like......maple syrup (maybe replaces sugar?), black pepper, or anything else that you might think to put in your bacon cure. Each of these add ins would likely be at the rate of .1-.4%.

Everything else is pretty much the same as making sausage. Grind, mix in seasonings (maybe some chilled water), form in a greased loaf pan/tin, then smoke at 170F until internal is 155F.

I think if I were to try this out (and I have packages of ground pork in the freezer for just such an occasion), I would go with:

Salt 1.8%
Sugar (white/brown) 1%
Cure #1 .25%
Water (chilled) 5%

All percentages are of the total weight of meat/fat.

Last edited:
Sounds good Rich! With the price of pork bellies compared to butts, this seems more economical and healthier.
Don't get me wrong, I love bacon but my Doctor ??

Ya know, if you start adding some ham and a few other things to the grinder along with pork shoulder, you could quickly move into homemade SPAM or Taylor Pork Roll territory......neither of which would be bad! :)

.....You could even take the Old Timer Bacon concept, and stuff it in casings for bacon sausages? Endless possibilities! :)

R

They cut that video short. The finished product and his cased sausage looked fantastic. He started off by taking his boat out to cut down a green crabapple tree. He said in the middle of winter that produces his best smoke. They also mentioned that he uses no nitrites, just cold smoke for 9 hrs.

Nah, he doesn't dig the swine.
That's funny I told my cardiologist about me making bacon. His response if you wouldn't mind on your next appointment would you mind bringing me a little I would love to try it. So I did and he said he thought it was great, in moderation of course.

Back