Anyone Know Anything About Sunshine Legend?

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Here's an interesting one. (NO, I am not interested in BUYING it:p!):

Seems to be Australian in origin. Main distinction is the standard griddle, an Australian must. Regular cast iron grate looks massive.

I did a little looking and you can still get some parts, but this would have no real value to most people. Not enough following, too expensive to fix...I do like the wood base/frame idea. Better for our climate then regular steel, that's for sure. If it weren't for that, this grill would probably already be in a landfill.

LcEGXDt.jpg

63gfwvt.jpg

vMZtLkj.jpg

GI8J0h0.jpg

ZKc6rEP.jpg

Don't kid us Jon when you have it sitting in the back of your pickup in your driveway. J/K

Anyway, That seems like an awful lot of wood close to the cookbox. I know that with the amount of Weber grills that I have picked up that had at least one nuclear even with knobs and other plastic parts melted, I would be hesitant to trust a grill with basically an entire wood frame. But, obviously, this one has done just fine. I am guessing it is probably 40 or so years old.

Actually that is most likely made by Grand Hall. It looks like the original "Bakers and Chefs" that was sold by Sam's Club many years ago. IIRC Sam's actually sold the griddle as an accessory as well. I am sure if GH OEM'd it for Sam's they did it for others as well. I even recall seeing it being sold under their own name by that distributor in CA than went bankrupt but cannot remember their name

I don't know much about the brand, but I worked at an Ace Hardware here in GA from 2001 to 2011 and we sold those Sunshine grills for a few years back when we were corporate owned maybe around 2002-2004ish. I just remember the big selling point being it having a flat top griddle and the frame was wood.

Jon,
This was my childhood grill! I remember going and getting it for my father with my mom. When I was a pre teen. I absolutely remember the salesman pitch including that it was from Australia! I loved cooking on that thing. I made a lot of smash burgers on the griddle side and a lot of steaks on the grill side. We actually bought him a second grate and a wok/griddle combo, but most of the time we used the original setup like yours here. I remember a family that were friends with coming over and the father talking about his Weber and he was impressed with this grill by the end of the cook. I remember my mother always saying about how expensive it was. We cooked on that thing a solid 20 years 3 to 4 nights a week all year round for a family of 7 plus every time, we always had friends over or family, we literally had a table for 12 which in many cases was not enough and this grill handled it. He got rid of it when he moved out of our childhood home and my brother got him a used BGE. I don't know how it compares to other grills but man was it cool seeing a picture of one.
Michael

Back