Anyone in the Juniper FL area want to rehab a Crown Verity Grill??

You should be fine with the 1/2" black iron pipe. If you're not going to move the grill around a lot or have a need to disconnect just use a regular stainless steel flexible appliance hookup. Much cheaper than the 1/2" flexible hose. I think that hose was about $80 IIRC

The 1/2" line should pass plenty of gas for the grill. My Wolf also uses a 1/2" gas line (flexible hose) where the other grills (Weber) use 3/8" hose. You may have to find a 1/2" quick disconnect female fitting for the grill. Hold on to your shorts though those 1/2" lines are expensive

D'Oh!! According to Weber the S330 actually uses a 1/2" connection. Does that mean it's a 3/4" on the CV??

Weber does not use 1/2" (well not TRUE 1/2") they're measuring outside diameter (don't ask me why) but the stock Weber flex like they sell with a Genesis is 3/8". I don't even think they sell the true 1/2" with a Summit let alone a Genesis. A true 1/2" line would be 3/4" OD but when speaking about plumbing you never use the OD always the ID

Larry, you'er right! The gas hose that came with the S330 is a "Hybrid" 1/2" ID hose with a 3/8" quick connect. I measure the diameter of the hole, and it's a 3/8". The size of the hole on the CV quick connect nipple is 1/2". Now I need to find a licensed gas technician in my area to swap out the 3/8" female quick disconnect for a 1/2".

Oh, just grab a couple hose clamps and some electrical tape and have at it. If it leaks, just go down to Walmart and buy some of that Flex Seal stuff. We don't need no licensed gas tech.

J/K Anthony. Get it done right and then you can fire that baby up and enjoy it.

That's pretty oddball. I installed my brother ni law's new style Genesis E series and it has a 3/8" hose. Unless you cut the hose how would you know the ID of it anyway? I even have one of the Weber hoses here and the fittings and everything corresponds to a 3/8" gas line. There is really no need for more. Until you get into very large very high BTU grills (i.e. my Wolf with 6 12k burners, and a 15K rotisserie burner) there is no need for more. Though the oddball thing is all the fittings on it are 3/4" NPT yet they do not specify that size hookup unless it's a permanent hookup. Which I have thought about doing because it's still somewhat starving for fuel even with the very large 1/2" flexible line. I have toyed with going to 3/4" flex line directly hooked up to my 3/4" black iron supply. IDK though because even though it does lack a little flow it gets so darn hot it is impossible to get near it when it's on full bore

Bruce: I'm seriously thinking to do it myself. I'll need two pipe wrench, some dope sealant or natural gas tape, and the 1/2" quick disconnect. This grill is a slow work in progress LOL. After the gas line, I'll need to start working on the internals. I need to clean or replace the gas valves & replace the shield for the pilot tube. To access the valves, I need to remove all the burner tubes. The screws are likely to be seized so that's going to take me awhile. To replace the pilot tube shield, I'll need to cut off the old piece, while leaving a few inches on each side so I can drill holes to mount the new piece on top. This is my first undertaking on doing these things and I'm not a very handy guy to start with so....... I'm aiming for completion before the end of BBQ season LOL.

Here is what is printed on the gas hose for the S330. But the male quick connect on the tip is definitely a 3/8", and not 1/2". Larry, you should unleash that beast and feed it with a 3/4". You know it's yearning for it LOL.

If you feel you have the knowledge to do it, by all means go for it. It isn't something I am familiar with but I have a good buddy who is a retired plumber that could help me out with something like that.

Good luck and keep us updated.

It's not hard to do. I installed my own tankless water heater about 12 years ago. House has not blown up yet. I will have to look at the hose on my Weber and on my Wolf. Maybe what I think is 1/2 is actually not. I have been fooled before

I watched a YouTube video. It certainly don’t look too difficult. I just need two wrench, one wrench to hold one end of pipe so it doesn’t turn and the other wrench to loosen. I have a shutoff valve on the inside of house and another on the outside of house. That 3/8” has been there for 15-16 years so I’m afraid it might be seized up.

Crown Verity UP AND RUNNING - Just in time for the new School Year!

As I have mentioned in other posts, things have been pressured for me lately, but I did have time to still wedge in getting the Crown Verity grill ready for the new school year. In earlier pictures you saw that the flavorizer bars (radiants in Crown Verity lingo;)) were looking pretty rough. Also, the main axle, though made of high grade stainless was broken.

I called Crown Verity and they gave me a 30% discount as a not-for-profit and pretty quickly sent the needed parts. The new "radiants" attach individually to each burner. They seem pretty well made, but I guess the high heat does them in over time. One test burn and they already had scorch marks wrapping around them:

25a0zf4.jpg

The burners were just a little scruffy, but nothing that a wire brush couldn't handle. My young apprentice enjoyed learning a little about fixing up grills:

2naqtz6.jpg

It was interesting to see how different this very simple grill really is. The firebox is all stainless and not really entirely one piece.

xcitzs.jpg

I was happy to see that the stainless front panel where the burners go in looked fine. It is readily removable (I found out the hard way:mad:) and definitely works better than the Weber Summit porcelain steel:

2j3o6so.jpg

My helper finished his cleanup by polishing the outside. We weren't trying for near perfect "flip" status. Just a nice clean look:

2ex7tas.jpg

These grills have a kind of plain, no nonsense look to them. All that stainless but not a whole lot of style, at least in my opinion. But, they are aimed at the commercial market and for that their simple solid design is a very good thing.

This thing is POWERFUL BEAST:eek:! 80,000 btu's pumping out of five burners. I think our cafeteria ladies are going to have to get used to so much power and learn to regulate it or there are going to be some burned up burgers:p!

Here it is fired up:

qxufqt.jpg

Jon, if you didn't make your helper work up side down, you might get even better results. :D

That reminds me of how hot the Wolf gets. Same thing you can feel the heat coming off it from 8' away even before you open the lid. I think I am going to have to get the valves apart on it though. As med is closer to what I would like to see low and low is really low and can actually flame out. I think it may have been an LP unit originally but yet the ID plate shows it as NG so not sure. Maybe the valves are just dirty

I have the 4 burner version of that grill. I believe it it’s the smallest grill Crown Verity makes. I have always loved Weber grills, gas and charcoal, but my Crown Verity is my all around favorite grill. Well made and dependable. Also, the rotisserie attachment is a beautiful thing.

It looks really nice Jon.

Thanks, Greg! What I am really happy about is that I was able to find a super nice, large commercial grill that should serve our little college well for many years - all for less than $300. That's a big deal in our little not for profit world. They could never have afforded anything decent that was new.

It would not be a grill I would particularly want on my deck, but if you cook regularly for larger groups it looks to be a well-built machine with a caring, North American company backing it up.

I have the 4 burner version of that grill. I believe it it’s the smallest grill Crown Verity makes. I have always loved Weber grills, gas and charcoal, but my Crown Verity is my all around favorite grill. Well made and dependable. Also, the rotisserie attachment is a beautiful thing.

The rotisserie can handle up to 120lbs (or 140lbs, can’t remember exactly) but it’ll set you back considerably!

Jon, the grates look to be in very good condition. Did you replaced the shield for the pilot tube?

What polish did you used to bring back the shine?

Back