Anyone Here Using this Coffee Grinder?

So just FYI, here are some shots of how well that little Chinese grinder does. Note I did no cleaning. Simply dumped my measured Drip setting grind into the filter. And look at the little grind jar. Absolutely no fines or dust to be seen. So, this is the Shidiip (which is the same exact unit as that Shardor I linked in a much earlier post) just in black not stainless steel. It's quiet but sloooow. But, it grinds well. I originally had the Shardor version of it, but it kept giving me E2 (which is overheat motor). I sent it back and got the larger noisier and much faster Shardor https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BVTP8HWP/?tag=tvwb-20 Now it does grind quite well but the level of fines and static flyaway particles all over the place are terrible (even though it is shown as "anti-static". Total BS on that one. So, it is stored away in a cabinet and I am simply using the little one. Which hums happily along not that I discovered the E2 issue was my poor use (trying to force it to grind 3 days worth of beans at once. I was over working the little thing.
But, using it as just a "daily" grinder doing 70-90 or so grams of beans only at a time. It works just great. I wish I knew what they did to tame the static to nearly 0% But, I think it's something with running it more slowly to keep it quieter as well. Because to grind 70 grams I have to run 2.5 40 second cycles and do 2 dumps of the chamber because it is not large enough to hold full 70 grams med grind beans

20231208_064755.jpg20231208_064804.jpg20231208_064809.jpg

So just FYI, here are some shots of how well that little Chinese grinder does. Note I did no cleaning. Simply dumped my measured Drip setting grind into the filter. And look at the little grind jar. Absolutely no fines or dust to be seen. So, this is the Shidiip (which is the same exact unit as that Shardor I linked in a much earlier post) just in black not stainless steel. It's quiet but sloooow. But, it grinds well. I originally had the Shardor version of it, but it kept giving me E2 (which is overheat motor). I sent it back and got the larger noisier and much faster Shardor https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BVTP8HWP/?tag=tvwb-20 Now it does grind quite well but the level of fines and static flyaway particles all over the place are terrible (even though it is shown as "anti-static". Total BS on that one. So, it is stored away in a cabinet and I am simply using the little one. Which hums happily along not that I discovered the E2 issue was my poor use (trying to force it to grind 3 days worth of beans at once. I was over working the little thing.
But, using it as just a "daily" grinder doing 70-90 or so grams of beans only at a time. It works just great. I wish I knew what they did to tame the static to nearly 0% But, I think it's something with running it more slowly to keep it quieter as well. Because to grind 70 grams I have to run 2.5 40 second cycles and do 2 dumps of the chamber because it is not large enough to hold full 70 grams med grind beans

View attachment 83327View attachment 83328View attachment 83329
Very happy with my little Shardor

View attachment 83327View attachment 83328View attachment 83329
That looks like a straight up, medium-course grind.

Perhaps. All I know is that the wet spoon method just works.
Yeah, I tried it. Results were MEH at best. I still had coffee dust all over the place plus when I was doing it on the KitchenAid it caused the burrs and the chute to get totally fouled up. So glad to have found these little Chinese grinders. IDK how or what they do, but the darn things are amazing. "Look Rocky, no tricks up my sleeve" simply put beans in, hit grind and they come out just as nice as you please

I'm sorry I can't help you, others seem to have a good report using theirs, I use a
KINGrinder K 6 Iron Grey Manual Hand Coffee Grinder 240 Adjustable Grind Settings for Aeropress, French Press, Drip, Espresso with Assembly Consistency Stainless Steel Conical Burr Mill, 35g Capacity and I can't be happier manual grind I find relaxing.
Good luck,
Mark

I'm sorry I can't help you, others seem to have a good report using theirs, I use a
KINGrinder K 6 Iron Grey Manual Hand Coffee Grinder 240 Adjustable Grind Settings for Aeropress, French Press, Drip, Espresso with Assembly Consistency Stainless Steel Conical Burr Mill, 35g Capacity and I can't be happier manual grind I find relaxing.
Good luck,
Mark
Who are you trying to help? Or sorry you can't?

Good luck,
Mark
Yeah...manual grinding is OK if you're brewing coffee for one person not if you're brewing a full pot of 1 litre+ drip/pour-over.

Has anyone who uses that little Shardor I recommended seen any "issues" like really sloppy adjustment on the burrs making really inconsistency in grinds and such? I have noticed on mine it's very sloppy now. You can turn the dial a lot with no movement of the burr(s).

Has anyone who uses that little Shardor I recommended seen any "issues" like really sloppy adjustment on the burrs making really inconsistency in grinds and such? I have noticed on mine it's very sloppy now. You can turn the dial a lot with no movement of the burr(s).

Mine has not changed since I purchased about 4 month ago. Still working perfectly. I do roughly 68 grams a day on it - 50g for drip, and then change the grinder down to espresso and do an 18g run - so it's back/forth every day. My beans are light roasted and very hard so I pre-measure my beans, and then with the grinder bin empty turn on motor and then slowly dump the beans in. This *may* be gentler on the motor/mechanisms inside? Perhaps something bound up on yours and then started slipping, or you caught a rock or something? If it's not moving at all, something has to be bound up, or perhaps a cotter pin broke or something.

I know with my other grinder (a large flat burr grinder) I have to be very careful about doing any adjustments (particularly courser to finer) with any beans in the hopper or the motor not running as they will compress and jam up in there. i.e. never adjust grinder without the motor running or it being completely empty.

Being an "unknown" grinder, I purchased the Amazon 2 year warranty in case something like this happened. It was only $7 I think.

Disassemble and full clean and inspection sounds in order perhaps..

Last edited:
Yeah, I did a full disassembly of the entire grinding portion. Both outer and inner burrs and then a full clean out. Two things it's just a little bit of a "sloppy mechanism" but also when I git in there and pulled the months of debris out of both machines they tightened up a lot. But, the little one is just a little "sloppy". Honestly I hadn't noticed it until I changed beans and was experimenting slightly with perfecting the grind.
Now I noticed the larger one in the photo while same company is made with far more precision. Grind adjustments are firm and with a decided "click" and with very little to no slop in it. While I got this one on a very special sale price basically a lightning deal and it was only about $15 more than the little one, it retailed on regular price about 2.5X higher though still quite cheap compared to other grinders of this type. Especially considering all the Espresso accessories it came with. So, I guess it simply goes with the market level the mfgr is targeting. I guess the "tolerances" were just something I did not notice because I had not been using this larger one due to a couple issues the first one had. So this is a replacement and other than it gets pretty unacceptable static works very well. I found with this grinder I got a tiny little "spritz" bottle. (like a pocket spray bottle for eyeglass wash or such). One (maybe 2) spritzes and the static is pretty well eliminated so I have been using this one more now because it's so much faster. It grinds my 70 grams of beans in very quick order. IDK, maybe 20 seconds. Whereas the little guy's grind chamber will not hold 70 gams of grinds and even on max time setting it still takes 2 passes to do a grind for our AM cup. So it's like a 2 min process as opposed to 20-30 seconds and one pass. But, it's louder not a quiet unit. Though not extremely noisy like my old KA grinder which could wake the dead.
I am actually thinking of springing for a little higher end grinder. Looking at Breville Smart Grinder Pro or the newer KitchenAid conical grinder. They both have compelling qualities and features so not sure which I am leaning towards (if doing anything).
In any case mystery was solved

1702944259585.png

I only make drip in the identical Moccamasters we have so it's just a matter of getting a consistent medium/course grind from the Baratza Encore and the Delonghi Ariete. Both do a solid job of it. While the Baratza seems to be the most recommend grinder, they both do an excellent job but the Delonghi does far faster and quieter. Cleaning on both is simple. I imagine once you get into espresso level grind though, the picture changes drastically.

I pretty much do the same but I've been experimenting with different coffees and I've noticed different ones take slightly different grind settings to get best results. I think if I had been switching to and from espresso, to drip to French press and back I would not have noticed the slight slop in the adjustments.
In any case the larger grinder does a good job, and the adjustments are quite positive and precise. Giving a very fine and very positive adjustment per "click". So if I know a certain coffee needs a certain "number" on the dial, I can set it to precisely that setting.
Noticed as well, that the burr set looks incredibly alike between the 2 machines. But, they're not interchangeable even though made by same factory. Though the one in the larger machine appears to have slightly more "precision" in the flutes and feels "sharper". Again likely in keeping with the larger unit is geared to be a more "upscale" machine and is supposedly geared more toward espresso enthusiasts who demand much finer adjustments and settings.
I'll use that one for time being. And then determine if I want to "splurge" a little on something a little more upscale like the Breville or KitchenAid. Also looked some at the Baratza ones. Also nicely made units. Though many testers note the copious static buildup on the Encore and the racket. Neither of which I like because on weekends there are babies sleeping here many times. And the last thing I want to do is wake one of my baby girls :D

I pretty much do the same but I've been experimenting with different coffees and I've noticed different ones take slightly different grind settings to get best results. I think if I had been switching to and from espresso, to drip to French press and back I would not have noticed the slight slop in the adjustments.
In any case the larger grinder does a good job, and the adjustments are quite positive and precise. Giving a very fine and very positive adjustment per "click". So if I know a certain coffee needs a certain "number" on the dial, I can set it to precisely that setting.
Noticed as well, that the burr set looks incredibly alike between the 2 machines. But, they're not interchangeable even though made by same factory. Though the one in the larger machine appears to have slightly more "precision" in the flutes and feels "sharper". Again likely in keeping with the larger unit is geared to be a more "upscale" machine and is supposedly geared more toward espresso enthusiasts who demand much finer adjustments and settings.
I'll use that one for time being. And then determine if I want to "splurge" a little on something a little more upscale like the Breville or KitchenAid. Also looked some at the Baratza ones. Also nicely made units. Though many testers note the copious static buildup on the Encore and the racket. Neither of which I like because on weekends there are babies sleeping here many times. And the last thing I want to do is wake one of my baby girls :D
The Encore is loud. I think they're going for about $150 theses days. I find static to be a non-issue with the wet spoon method...for both machines. With the Baratza, the grind adjustments are made by turning the hopper. I'm at 18-20 for a consistent medium/course grind. The Delonghi has a dial on the side and set at 10-11. Both have solid clicks as you adjust them...no slop. As mentioned previously, some of these newer grinders haven't been around long enough to garner the rave reviews that more established brands have. I trust that will come in time for some...but some of those outfits change brand names on identical models routinely. I bought a grinder as a spare over the summer from a local department store...Boscovs. It was sold and branded as Mueller of Austria: https://muellerdirect.com/products/mueller-ultra-grind-conical-burr-coffee-grinder

Here it is as an Enzoo: Conical Burr Coffee Grinder, ENZOO Electric Coffee Bean Grinder with Detachable Design for Easy Cleaning, 40 Precise Grind Setting for Espresso, Drip Coffee, French Press and Percolator Coffee https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SW9Z9LG/?tag=tvwb-20

Walmart sells it as an Aedavey: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aedavey-...ainless-Steel-with-Bowl-Clean-Brush/717748350

Just a few examples.

Wow, are you sure they're all the same one? But quite an interesting find
Might have a minor difference like knob vs touch control but the mechanisms are identical. Funny thing...Mueller had a class action suit filed against them for "Suggesting" they were made in Austria.

I think the anti "Made in China" thing is getting stronger. And I am seeing far more products proudly displaying "Designed In" with large font and very bod and in very small fine font under it, "Manufactured in China to Exacting Specifications"

Well, I think I am pretty settled in on grinder and brew settings now. Been using the Shardor Precision https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BVTP8HWP/?tag=tvwb-20 and other than the static and retention issues I am finding it to be quite precise and accurate. Also quite fast. So to battle the retention issue it does include a "bellows", which mounts on top the bean container, And while grinding I do find a few "taps" on that bellows and it does blow out the retained grind quite nicely. Re, the static, I got a tiny little spritz bottle that sprays a very fine mist. So I have pretty much settled in to a couple or three little spritzes and a little stir in between. No more static and less retention as well.
With the Guatemalan beans currently using, I have settled on a "right in the middle" setting. Gives me a fine enough grind for good extraction but not so fine or coarse to either block things or cause water to simply flow through.
I am finding Gold setting on the Breville does a nice job, but also have found I get a slightly "richer" tasting brew by going to "my setting" and using a 40 sec bloom, 198deg brew temp, and slow flow rate.
No bitterness and just a nice richly flavored brew.
Next up after the Guatemalan beans I think I will give the SF Bay French roast another go, and do a little more paying around.
I may still look for a higher quality grinder but, I have to say at it's current $69 price on Amazon that Shardor is a very well put together unit. The burrs are very precise, the shaft runs very straight as well. I also took an opportunity to measure the rotational speed of the burr and with my electronic tach it shows it running at 350 RPM. I have not measure the speed of the smaller little grinder, but suspect it's a little slower. I may pull it out and test it some time though and report that as well.

Back