anyone have experience/feedback smoking/grilling with red wine barrel oak stave chunks?

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I have a line on some CA red wine oak barrels where the staves have been cut to smoking size (4"-8").

Seeking anyone's feedback on success or dissastifaction using these for smoking, grilling, pizza or just flavor enhancement.

TYIA for your input. I have a few cooking ideas and these seem like a fun ingredient.

I'm a home winemaker and use neutral barrels for aging, but I do add oak cubes or staves for flavor and a little extra tannin. Whenever those cubes/staves are done, I dry them out and use them for grilling or smoking. If the price is reasonable, go for it!

I'm a home winemaker and use neutral barrels for aging, but I do add oak cubes or staves for flavor and a little extra tannin. Whenever those cubes/staves are done, I dry them out and use them for grilling or smoking. If the price is reasonable, go for it!
i'm in CA and near wine region. these are pretty cheap to get here. i'll make a move on them per your feedback. i do think they're be good, real good. and can really add an ingredient that i cannot get elsewhere.

Just get some Brett! I have some from Fruitawood bourbon/merlot stave chunks. I don’t use them for pork butts (no particular reason) but I’ve done several briskets with them and they are truly delightful! Doing a ~15# SRF brisket overnight tonight and will use the stave wood for that! We will feast well tomorrow!
edit- My first experience with “stave wood” was through the generosity of TonyUK, he sent me some scotch staves for my birthday a while back, they were marvelous, that started it! I’ll get that fire laid and be ready to touch that off around 7:00 for tomorrow!

Last edited:
Oak is milder than Hickory so you could use it on anything.
I bought some from BB&B when they closed a store.
Smelt great and added a little something.
I would avoid any half barrels you see at outdoor centers made for planters.
They might say made from old whiskey or wine barrels but they can be dipped or sprayed with a water resistant chemical.

Oak is milder than Hickory so you could use it on anything.
I bought some from BB&B when they closed a store.
Smelt great and added a little something.
I would avoid any half barrels you see at outdoor centers made for planters.
They might say made from old whiskey or wine barrels but they can be dipped or sprayed with a water resistant chemical.
Heading to a winery for these. We live around 30 miles from a top wine making region in CA. Sonoma and Napa are 80 miles from us too.

Yep, I discovered old wine barrel wood years ago when we were still making wine. And as a barrel was rotated out or cut to be used for the half barrel fermentation process I would snag the wood pieces and use in my grill. I still have a couple squirreled away for special occasion

I haven't used wine barrels but I have been using barrel pieces from Makers Mark whiskey barrels for smoking and absolutely love the flavor they infuse in the meat. We have a guy who makes tables and such from the barrels and he sells the scrap pieces.

Been there with the wine barrel chunks. Loved it. Have also used some bourbon chunks. Also great.

Would purchase again if I found them cheap enough, but have not found them at any reasonable cost since....about 5 years since I've had any.

Been there with the wine barrel chunks. Loved it. Have also used some bourbon chunks. Also great.

Would purchase again if I found them cheap enough, but have not found them at any reasonable cost since....about 5 years since I've had any.
What’s a whole intact barrel, used, run by you? I’m seeing $50-60 a barrel.

Haven't looked for a very long time. And when we did was about 30 years ago so even if I could remember would have no bearing

Back