Anyone have any experience with TORO Zero Turn mowers?

Seth Boardman

TVWBB Fan
So my current mower is a 42" craftsman and it mows pretty well all things considered. I got it for free from a relative so I can't complain too much. However, it takes me almost 2 hours to mow my 3 acre property. I am looking into getting a Toro Time Cutter with a 50" deck and with the MyRide Suspension. For the price I feel like this is the best zero turn out there at $3700. Does anyone have any experience with this mower? Would like to know what everyone is using and pros and cons of your machine even if it's not a Toro.

I cut the farm yard for decades with a Cub Cadet 10hp and a 42" belly mount (Dad bought this around 1966, and it's still running on the farm.) Best I could do was about two & a half hours, including push mower final trimming. Some 20 years ago, Dad bought a used Kubota front mount estate mower (F2690 looks like the current model,) not quite a zero turn, but close, diesel w/ 4wd assist. Cut lawn time in half and did a better job. Big advantage that I can see is that you can get further under bushes, shrubs & trees, but it is physically a bigger machine. Holy buckets..... it's a heckuva lot more expensive than what you're looking at.

Hey Seth, my lown is only about 2000 sq ft, so I don't have an opinion on riding mowers, but you might go to https://thelawnforum.com/index.php and join up there. You'll probably get some decent input there. Generally speaking Toro has a pretty good reputation. I think those big zero turns are only sold by real dealers (not big box stores) so you should get decent support if you do buy Toro....

Good Luck!

There are 2 lines of Toro stuff from what I have seen. I think the line you're looking at is the more cheaply made one along the lines of MTD, and other big box store name brands like Cub, Husqvarna and so on. Really IMO the only advantage to a zero turn is being able to maneuver aroud obstacles. If all you have is large ground expanse IMO you're better served by a good tractor.

Hustler or Bad Boy, take a look at those. Mowers are high maintenance machines and those are easy to work on. Toro, Cub Cadet, Husqvarna, (big box models) not so much. If I had three acres to mow I would buy a machine from a Lawn Equipment dealer that stock commercial machines. At our church we mow five acres with a Hustler Fast Trac 54". It takes approx three hours.

Got a 60" deck on my Kubota and I zip through now LOL compared to the 42" I had on the Honda I had

My neighbor has an older Toro 48" that I have borrowed a couple of times when my Husqvarna laid down on me. I have to say the controls felt very good. I've since traded for a Bad Boy and it is nice, probably last me the rest of my life.

My father in law and I went I together about 12 years ago and bought a residential grade toro zero turn. We used it to cut both our yards for about 5 years, then I bought a bobcat zero turn. Both of my sons learned to cut grass on the Toro, my father in law hasn't met a stump he didn't like, and I swear he has yet to change the oil in it, yet that thing fires up on the first try, and mows like a champ! Again, his is residential grade, where the model you're speaking of is more commercial, but I can say I am impressed beyond words with how well our Toro has held up. Good luck, let us know what you choose.
Tim

I do not own a zero turn but have tried one at a cousin's place for cutting the lawn around the house at his farm...

...in my opinion, it is the most fun you will have when cutting a lawn :)

my first zero turn was an old used Dixon friction drive circa 1980.... ( new to me in 2003 (200 bucks)
I finally got tired of all the adjustments and the deck bearings went bad (11 years later) so started Looking ....
Now I’ve got a big dog alpha 36”. Love it, but the do make them bigger for your application.
when I was shopping for one, the keys for me were 1- welded deck, not stamped metal 2- a Kawasaki engine.
both of these items will make it last a good long time so if you spend a little more, take care of it, and makes the chores faster and easier for the foreseeable future.
also I went into a specialty store for it so even though it was a residential level mower the guys really knew what they were talking about. one more thing that helped swallow the higher dollar pill (around 3k) was at the time I got 0% for 48 mos.
with the exception of blades( swap them about 1 set every 1-1.5yrs, could sharpen them but easier to replace), filters, oil and gas is all I have bought for it in 5+ years. it works every time I turn the key. I live where we mow year round, and I still think it will outlast me....

I work at a reputable dealership, we deal with Brand name tractors and lawn equipment.
Basically you get what you pay for. I know that sounds a little redundant but a good example would be....
The lesser expensive " red " zero turns have a key'ed system where the 2 rear drives are attached to the wheels.
My brand would have splined drive connections, this doesn't strip or fail in any way.
The connections on the " red " machines will fail at some point, no matter what.
There are 2 drives on those zero turns hence why you can turn....
There are a bunch more examples that could be used of course. I would put the purchase into a different perspective.......
How much do I want to spend.....
How long do I want to use this machine for.....
How hard am I going to be working this machine..........
If you want to use it for a long time and run it a lot, you will be better of spending a bit more initially.
I see repairs for machines all the time, they surely are not cheap.
Just my .02

I drove a troybilt 42 lawn tractor for 20 years, mowing 2 acres ...I think I paid $1800 for it new, definitely got my money out of it...Been wanting a zero turn for several years and sold the troybilt last year for 300, the new mower is a gravely 42 ztxl for $4k. I cringed at the price but paid it, it probably shaved 20-30 min off the cut as I have multiple buildings and several trees.

Time will tell if I get what I feel it's worth out of it, the drive system is pricey but my version you can change the filters and fluid so its not a sealed up system like the cheaper version. Its WAY more fun to mow with, I also have a bit of hill and was kinda nervous about getting the mower on the slope but I have adapted and dont even think about it now.

Oh yeah. I am getting that thing squared away nicely. Was having trouble starting it, but diagnosed that solenoid was not getting full voltage/current. I tried going through the whole electrical system but age and time takes it's toll on things like interlock switches and such. A nice workaround is a "helper" relay. Got on Amazon, found as set of 5 high current (30 amp) relays with wiring and plugs for $12. Then simply used the connections already at the starter and set it up that when the key is turned it triggers the relay which now in turn brings full current to the solenoid actuator and "bam" instant startup.
Also installed a really nice new seat with armrests. All fluids, and filters done along with fresh coolant and cooling system flush. The little 3 banger just purrs.
I also bought a new fuse panel. The tractor has 4 circuits originally. But, I want to add an accessory circuit to carry power to the back for my pull behind sprayer, and maybe some accessory lighting as well so the new one has 6 circuits and I will be able to use the remaining relays to isolate my add on circuits properly.

20210509_144143.jpg20210509_144154.jpg20210509_144201.jpg20210509_144211.jpg20210509_144220.jpg20210509_144223.jpg

Larry, those sort of electrical problems are not uncommon. It used to be a common technique by automotive enthusiasts to build "stiffening harnesses" that used the original headlight connections as relay triggers to supply full battery voltage to the headlights (also useful if you've installed higher wattage bulbs for offroad use.) Long thin connections just tend to lose voltage.

So my current mower is a 42" craftsman and it mows pretty well all things considered. I got it for free from a relative so I can't complain too much. However, it takes me almost 2 hours to mow my 3 acre property. I am looking into getting a Toro Time Cutter with a 50" deck and with the MyRide Suspension. For the price I feel like this is the best zero turn out there at $3700. Does anyone have any experience with this mower? Would like to know what everyone is using and pros and cons of your machine even if it's not a Toro.
Hey Seth, did you buy that Toro?
$3700 for that size machine is not bad and my experience with residential Toro's is generally good. Let us know and takes some pics of that bad boy, love to see it.

Geez y'all. I've got an 18" reel mower I push around my yard using nothing but me power... Making me feel woefully inadequate!!

Hey Seth, did you buy that Toro?
$3700 for that size machine is not bad and my experience with residential Toro's is generally good. Let us know and takes some pics of that bad boy, love to see it.
No I offered them 3200 cash taxes included and they haven't gotten back to me. My wife didn't know that I put an offer on one so she just kinda roller her eyes. I figured if they took the offer then cool and if not then I'll just keep using my current mower. I offered that on Thursday so I'm guessing they didn't accept or haven't seen it yet. Time will tell

Back