Anyone get spoiled by their own food?

Anyone ever go to a bbq restaurant and walk out somewhat disappointed because the stuff you make at home seems to taste better than what you just ate at the restaurant? I've been on a bbq kick the past few days and have gone to three different bbq places in town getting different items at each one (brisket, pulled pork and ribs). Each time I've come away wondering why mine tastes better.

The reason is because I consider myself a novice having done this less than a year and I know I have a lot to learn. So, I guess I look at these restaurants as the "professionals" who have been doing it much longer than me. I've even had my wife say, "it's not as good as yours."

Is this mainly because my own stuff is fresh and just off the smoker? I'm sure there's a big difference between smoking a small amount at my house and doing a whole bunch at a restaurant. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm better than the restaurants. I'm just going by my own tastes and preferences. Maybe the restaurant cooks would eat mine and say, "it's not as good as ours at the restaurant." :p

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">somewhat disappointed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Understatement. I think a lot of it has to do with freshness and the quantity they are preparing. When at home, you can make sure each piece has just the right amount of rub, sauce, smoke, etc. They're trying to make a profit, which does not always equate to giving each piece the red carpet treatment it may be getting at your place.

Now, that said, I have been to some great places and walked out thinking, man that was good. But more often than not I am really disappointed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They're trying to make a profit, which does not always equate to giving each piece the red carpet treatment it may be getting at your place. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a feeling that's a lot of what it is. At the restaurants it just tastes like the food has been out a while or has been reheated. It reminds me of when I have left over pulled pork and I reheat it the next day. It's still good, but not nearly like it was when I first pulled it.

Yeah, I'm new but getting spoiled already.

I don't think I'll be ordering prime rib in a restaurant anymore. My first try with an ordinary grocery-store rib roast was by far the best I've had. (and way cheaper)

Of course there are still plenty of things I can't cook or can't cook on the WSM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt_G:
Yeah, I'm new but getting spoiled already.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not just me, all my friends feel it too. We used to have BBQ every couple weeks, now it's just not the same. The BBQ at home really is better - though, I am buying BBQ sauce from our favorite place still. Next on my list is learning to make great sauces.

Incidentally, it's not just with BBQ and the smoker. The more I branch out and learn to cook, the more I'm disapointed with eating out. There are some things I haven't figured out yet (Indian and Thai come to mind), but for the most part it's better at home.

-Ian

I have noticed this for awhile. We dont got out to eat very often but when we do I dont order steak or BBQ mostly seafood which I have a problem cooking at home. I can buy a nice steak or my new favorite Tri Tip at the butcher and it comes out tasting great at a lot less money.

when my wife and i go out to eat, we don't go BBQ restaurants unless we know the food is great.

I can't stand BBQ restaurants now. I think they take to many short cuts and it reflects in the taste. I can't even go to any steak houses any more. There was one time I went to a new Q restaurant that just opened up and I was impressed. I went back a while later and it was dreadful. Most people don't know what good Q tastes like so they can get away with it.

I guess it's the area of the country you live in. I have no problem getting GREAT BBQ at restaurants here in NC and SC. And I've had really great BBQ down in GA, AL, and TX.

I have to say the BBQ I make is much better than anything I can get around here. Smokey bones is about as good as we get locally. Everybody else pour BBQ Sauce over everything what are they trying hide. I will take my BBQ over that any day.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B.Watts:
I guess it's the area of the country you live in. I have no problem getting GREAT BBQ at restaurants here in NC and SC. And I've had really great BBQ down in GA, AL, and TX. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think your WSM is broken!
icon_wink.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Gary

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B.Watts:
I guess it's the area of the country you live in. I have no problem getting GREAT BBQ at restaurants here in NC and SC. And I've had really great BBQ down in GA, AL, and TX. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dunno. I was in Texas on business a couple months ago and went to a recommended BBQ place. It was calories w/ taste. Did it's job, but mine is better (thanks to this site). I'm the same as many mentioned w/ steaks. I just don't order them when eating out anymore.

I pretty much agree with all of you guys. I've made some good sauces but I'm going to be honest...my sauce hasn't been the best I've ever had.

I had a pretty bad sauce the other day. I decided to try out some bbq shack hole-in-the-wall that's been around for years. Figured if they've been around it would be pretty good. Got a beef sandwich. The beef was ok, although a bit fatty, but the bbq sauce they put on it was pretty vinegary and kind of took away from the taste. Maybe some people like that, but I don't. That's when I started thinking, "man, my beef brisket sandwiches are much better than this."

I think a lot of people have thought of that because I see bbq shacks come and go all the time. They probably go into business thinking their stuff is pretty good, and it may be, but that doesn't mean people will beat a path to your door. It takes more than knowing how to cook to make it in the food business.

We will see this week if this happens to me. I have had my WSM since January and have cooked ribs on it twice. Since doing this, I have yet to get to a BBQ restaurant. However, I am planning on getting to one this week, as I am out of town on business and the company will pay for my ribs. I'll report back in later on what happens.

I can honestly see myself being spoiled though. The ribs I cooked were excellent both times. The 2nd cook was for a whole bunch of family, and they all loved them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Freeman:
I think a lot of people have thought of that because I see bbq shacks come and go all the time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

they come and go all the time in los angeles as well. some were good, some were real bad. some that have been around for years are horrible!

Lets face it BBQ joints aren't high end places. I'm sure there are a few out there but for the most part, it's on the cheap side as far as price per dinner goes. That said, all and every corner is cut to make as much profit as possible. Most use gas fired cookers, doctored up brand name Q sauces etc. Not saying all are run like that but my guess most are. At home we can pay close attention to every little detail because we aren't cooking for X hundred of people that walk through the door throughout the day. The meat being held too long, beans dried out, mushy slaw etc. JMO
icon_smile.gif

Northwest Florida is not known as a bastian of BBQ, so like you I stay out of them. My biggest disappointment is not always the meat but the sides. How many times have you gone to a joint and the pulled pork is OK, but the slaw is wet and soggy, or the potato salad is dry or over done with the mustard. If your going to put it on the table, take pride in it.

The boss and I have completely sworn off chain BBQ places. There is still one mom/pop place left in town that turns out pretty decent Q. I think they even either make or buy local sauce too.

I must be turning into a Q snob since having a few BRITU sessions. I am absolutely hooked on those things and restaraunt ribs are somewhat disappointing anymore.

Russ

This is the difference between a shrinkwrapped, storebought apple pie and one you make at home. Even if you kinda screw it up, it almost always tastes better than the assembly line version.

I can't get over how DRY some of the chain/local BBQ meat is. They must be cooking it to high for too long, or using lean cuts, or something. Very rare to find something juicy and flavorful.

Back