Anyone else interested in oil heaters?

Hey guys,
I guess I'll add myself to the "oil heater list" :) I found a good deal on one so I picked it up. This is a Perfection 550. It seemed to be complete and in decent shape. I got it for 25 bucks at an antique car show (and parts flea market). I had to carry it back to the car - a good 2 maybe 2-1/2 miles - but it was worth it :)

I have always been interested in kerosene stoves (I actually have one - a three burner kitchen range with the "flip over" glass bottle feed - New Perfection, I think). So, I've had these heaters in the back of my mind as well - on a "someday project" wish list. Well, I guess someday is getting closer :)

Attachments

• perfection 550.jpg
    perfection 550.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 550 font.jpg
    550 font.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 4
Yesterday I sold 2 of mine. I got the externals fixed up but the tanks leaked on both and I tried gas tank repair with no luck. I even called a metal shop and for $100 an hour they would check it out. I told the folks the bought them that they leaked and they said they would get them fixed. I wonder how as they just did not strike me as the handy type. I was happy to get $200 for both. I still have the one with the glass globe. I will be trying it in the house to see how it does. I will take a pic when I do.

Before After
20211107_182855.jpg20221016_141703.jpg
20221017_110856.jpg

Just in case...

Do you have a battery powered CO detector if you are using these during a power outage?

I will use propane for backup heat , I hate the smell of kerosene and can tell just as soon as I walk into a home that is using it. also can smell dirty burning none vented gas heaters. while I think the old heaters are neat I would not use them indoors myself

I will use propane for backup heat , I hate the smell of kerosene and can tell just as soon as I walk into a home that is using it. also can smell dirty burning none vented gas heaters. while I think the old heaters are neat I would not use them indoors myself
Pretty much the same here. We had this one below in our 42' unheated catamaran and loved it. But we had to light it and extinguish it outside the cabin and then bring it in but once it got going there was no smell. When we moved back on land we had to do the same in the house. I wish there was one that did not smell. This one here is really nice because you can see the flame all around and I guess like the Perfection heaters if you remove the cage you can cook on the flat top. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0099FRIPW/?tag=tvwb-20

1666356184164.png

Yeah, they definitely need to be lit/extinguished outside. When lighting, the flames go wild and will produce black smoke and will smell but once the chimney is flipped on they calm down and burn very smooth and clean.
Recently, we had some chilly, rainy weather. We enjoy sitting in our gazebo when it rains so I put a couple in it, they kept us nice and toasty! Later that night I brought one inside, mostly for ambiance.

A4B88326-DA0E-40B1-AC81-6D11259A192A.png
22977264-C125-434B-B423-A5A3308919B3.png
373A8385-745A-48E0-A5F9-EDCFFFBC1784.png
9F71720E-4B84-453B-BDB9-854EAC86F7DE.png

It sure is! My wife was 15 minutes away from them in Milford visiting her sister last week, if she was down there now I’d be giving her a call right now! As it is, it’s only 2 hrs from me, boy it’s tempting…

A friend in Jersey volunteered to go get them for me Sunday afternoon if I wanted them. I have too many other "irons in the fire" right now. 🙂

A friend in Jersey volunteered to go get them for me Sunday afternoon if I wanted them. I have too many other "irons in the fire" right now. 🙂
There will probably be some downtime this winter and that is the time to sell them!😁

This is what I have (made in Japan). I don't have a smell issue as long as I service the burner and use a K-1 conditioner.

These things are life savers in sub-freezing conditions and power outages.

O-230-500x500-1.jpg

This is what I have (made in Japan). I don't have a smell issue as long as I service the burner and use a K-1 conditioner.

These things are life savers in sub-freezing conditions and power outages.

O-230-500x500-1.jpg
What is the spec on that kerosene heater?

There’s been an Aladdin blue flame for sale about 45 minutes from me for a while but I talked myself out of it. I just checked, looks like someone’s gonna get it! They’re pretty neat heaters too!

456AF87A-A2CB-43D4-A6E8-0B09408C2390.png

Back